Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chaoticgnome

All The Best Swords Have Names, You Know

Won't work 'cause of the loss system, as the items will decay and be destroyed quickly

I have no problem with unique items breaking down like everything else.  Everything must waste away eventually.  The story of a legendary item's death can be as important as the story of its creation.  

In fact, a memory wall would be pretty cool.  It could be a website or a structure inside an EK or whatever...meant to immortalize old legendary items.  That's what things like Excalibur are to us now anyway.

Ashbinder the Two Handed Sword

Forged by Talos the Merciless on August 25th 2017 (Or some in game calendar system)

Wielded by Haggosh Slim, Micah Frostbinder, and Jayne Tirindale.

Snapped in twain when Jayne Tirindale plunged it into the belly of Timmet Oak

In a world where some games will track how many steps you take throughout a campaign, I would guess it wouldn't be too difficult to record who has worn an item in battle (either actually dealt damage with it or absorbed damage in the case of armor), who was wearing an item when it broke and who/what was on the other side of the breaking.  Throw in some color commentary like "shattered in the duel between..." etc and it starts to create some history.

I like the ideas of named weapons, but instead of naming them upon creation, why not have it as a reward for completing campaigns (if you dont win) Have it something like, if you have a weapon that saw use in at least two campaigns, and it never changed hands, or at least if it did you got it back. Then you can name it.

Or even if you enter a campaign with a weapon, or gain (by crafting or being given, or looting) a new weapon in spring, and still have that weapon (and used it) until the end. A word will be added to it, and that name/title will shift and change for every campaign its in.

Then lets say after 2 campaigns of use, and its somehow still usable, its been repaired so many times its got a total durability of 2, it can be retired as a cosmetic item for the EK.

Edited by abyssalgod

I *really* hope that no single weapon lasts more than one campaign and remains usable. If they did, then durability would be pretty much pointless. I'd much rather have a weapons reputation decided at creation but have it be as weak and fragile as anything else. Therefore it becomes a choice of whether or not to use it.

I *really* hope that no single weapon lasts more than one campaign and remains usable. If they did, then durability would be pretty much pointless. I'd much rather have a weapons reputation decided at creation but have it be as weak and fragile as anything else. Therefore it becomes a choice of whether or not to use it.

I believe they said that you can repair a weapon, but have its durability reduced. So I dont see why a weapon that is repaired a ton couldnt last an entire campaign.

"I wield the great two-handed blade 'Epeen'."

"This hammer has been in my family for generations. Scores of our foes have fallen to the might of 'T-Bag'."

"This armor was crafted by my grandfather, and has been passed down to my father, and now me. I would never go into battle without the protection of 'Ballsweat'."

Maybe we let the system assign names? :)

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Trusting players to name things?  We never said we wanted the gameplay to be that emergent.   :P

The answer is the kenning.  It's a literary term where extra meaning is implied by combining two or more words that otherwise might seem unrelated.  You could give players a long list of approved nouns, adjectives, and weapon types and let them combine them in creative ways.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Having a cool name for a weapon is fine and all, but personally I think it's not enough, it's gotta have that flavor text that really shows its a cut above others and its got history and a personality. Example :D

Haganemushi:  A legendary short sword that causes any armor it strikes to instantly rust away, earning it the name Haganemushi, or ‘metal-eating bug’. Any blade it clashes against grows duller with each blow. May this serious and righteous wielder never fall to the wrong path; May both the sword and its master support each other; to fight against evil curses and the suffering of the world.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people. "

Having a cool name for a weapon is fine and all, but personally I think it's not enough, it's gotta have that flavor text that really shows its a cut above others and its got history and a personality. Example :D

Haganemushi:  A legendary short sword that causes any armor it strikes to instantly rust away, earning it the name Haganemushi, or ‘metal-eating bug’. Any blade it clashes against grows duller with each blow. May this serious and righteous wielder never fall to the wrong path; May both the sword and its master support each other; to fight against evil curses and the suffering of the world.

I can't think of any game that does this better than Dark Souls.  The lore of the game is revealed in small glimpses through the item descriptions attached to weapons and armor. 

I can't think of any game that does this better than Dark Souls.  The lore of the game is revealed in small glimpses through the item descriptions attached to weapons and armor. 

Exactly dude, the Soul series is a prime example of how to make the most mundane item matter. Not just through effects but through story elements. The first Dark Souls's story was pretty much told 50% through items if not more with NPCs just dropping hints to confirm things. Mmm good stuff =x=

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people. "

It would be a wonderful achievement for crafters if every now and then, when making an exceptional item, they could assign it a unique name.

You'd want this to be something that doesn't happen too often.  The FAQ mentions getting variable quality if you make the same thing multiple times, so it could be an added reward for a rare critical-success at crafting.

It'd be nice for names to be unique so there aren't a thousand Excaliburs flying around a campaign.  You'd also want the names to recycle eventually to be reused elsewhere, say six months after the item was obliterated due to wear etc.

What would you name your critically successful crafted items?

Rockblock:  Some sort of armor with elemental resistance

The Chimney Sweeper: A flail with fire damage

An Exceptional Sword:  self explanatory

I think this was done in LoTRO, but I can not remember.  Definitely a good idea, though.

Not only should you have a weapon that is of exceptional craft quality but it has to go through at least one epic battle before can name it.

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

IMAO:

1. Really good crafted items will have names, but these will be the names of the thralls bound in them.
  2. You can make your guild crest be your symbol, The faction symbols on the concept art show where they go on armor. I'll use my guild's crest for in-house stuff. Anyone wearing our colors but not our collar might get the chance to trade (sell) it back to us, or go on the KOS list. My personal logo goes on the stuff we trade away. The god faction logo goes on the junk gear.
  3. If you bought an arcane set you can craft custom designs also.
Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Let's have a little fun -  combine up to three from any category(s) to make as creative a name as you can for a Sword.  You can make any noun possessive or plural and add as many prepositions (A, OF, THE) as you need to.  Some nouns double as adjectives Barbarian>Barbaric, and some nouns double as verbs Stabber>Stabbing.  I think you get the idea, it's just for fun anyways.

Direct Object Nouns: Challenger, Soldier, Foe, Enemy, Thrall, Hunger, Winter, Target, Mark, Usurper, Pursuer, Master, Predator, Ambusher, Sieger, Victor, Scout, Berserker, Barbarian, Crow, Raven, Wolf, Vulture, Serpent,

Sword Nouns/Verbs: Poker, Slicer, Skewer, Cutter, Stabber, Thrust, Cleaver, Dismember, Hacker, Impaler, Piercer,  Gutter, Skinner

Adjectives: Glorious, Vicious, Magnificent, Ravenous, Thirsty, Cruel, Baneful, Woeful, Feared, Infamous, Notorious,

Feel some key words are missing? Suggest 'em.  Try to keep them versatile though, most words should be usable for a variety of weapons, only words in the the "Sword" category won't fit more than a few weapon types. 

Edited by Gilgamer