Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chaoticgnome

All The Best Swords Have Names, You Know

Well, it's already known that crafters can mark their creations, but being able to create unique names would be wonderful! Truly exceptional or unique pieces are always named, be it after an event, a person or a god.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

I'm going to personally mark all the exceptional stuff I make, then secret it away from the settlement, and take it on a suicide mission into some dragon den or something. Then, when some other group is out exploring, and clears out that den, they'll find a bunch of really good-quality items, and be all like "Wow! Who's this Lephys guy? Some kind of character in the game's lore?"

:)

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I'm going to personally mark all the exceptional stuff I make, then secret it away from the settlement, and take it on a suicide mission into some dragon den or something. Then, when some other group is out exploring, and clears out that den, they'll find a bunch of really good-quality items, and be all like "Wow! Who's this Lephys guy? Some kind of character in the game's lore?"

Aim high, my friend :)

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Cool idea, I like it man. But lets be honest. 95% of people that find it will be like, compare stats, its worse ok i will sell it and forgets about it. Or, it's better equip, be happy, until he doesn't need it no more and forgets about it. MMORPGs are so cruel xD

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people. "

^^^  Very True   Unfortunately

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Perhaps you ACE could give a "work bank" of sorts of generic and fantasy-geared nouns and adjectives that the crafter could then mix around until they found something cool.

Like the word bank would have Adjective [Optional], Noun, Noun; then you create things like "Flaming DawnBringer" or "King Killer" or something like that. It solves the profanity/absurdist problem. Though I would love killing nubs with a sword named "xxx360n0sc0p3PROsn1p3z420BLAZEitNubZxxx"

Edited by Astaroth

Astaroth.jpg

Perhaps you ACE could give a "work bank" of sorts of generic and fantasy-geared nouns and adjectives that the crafter could then mix around until they found something cool.

Like the word bank would have Adjective [Optional], Noun, Noun; then you create things like "Flaming DawnBringer" or "King Killer" or something like that. It solves the profanity/absurdist problem. Though I would love killing nubs with a sword named "xxx360n0sc0p3PROsn1p3z420BLAZEitNubZxxx"

Word bank  xsighx  This isn't KI.  Why are we trying to do this?  I have not seen where this game has yet been rated E for everyone.  From all indications from what devs have said ( Tully/Pann ) there will most likely be an optional profanity filter for chat, at least.  It could be extended to weapons too, I suppose.  IF you don't like my weapons name and your sensibilities are assaulted, use the god dang filter.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Word bank  xsighx  This isn't KI.  Why are we trying to do this?  I have not seen where this game has yet been rated E for everyone.  From all indications from what devs have said ( Tully/Pann ) there will most likely be an optional profanity filter for chat, at least.  It could be extended to weapons too, I suppose.  IF you don't like my weapons name and your sensibilities are assaulted, use the god dang filter.  

Lol that would be hilarious if someone wanted to use the word s**t and those with the filter sees the name of a sword: Poorly made socks. That would certainly make things interesting.

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Tho yeah, if we have control over flavour text and hopefully some good options on design and looks department, I can think of something cool. Hows about a wall to display weapons on? In a sense that since everything brakes sooner or later we will go through a lot of weapons. You put the blades as momentos, this blade helped me thorugh this war or that war I did this awesome feat with this weapon. And the weapon will always be there are a reminder plus if someone is looking aorund he can learn about the users history through the flavour text of his past weapons?

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people. "

Tho yeah, if we have control over flavour text and hopefully some good options on design and looks department, I can think of something cool. Hows about a wall to display weapons on? In a sense that since everything brakes sooner or later we will go through a lot of weapons. You put the blades as momentos, this blade helped me thorugh this war or that war I did this awesome feat with this weapon. And the weapon will always be there are a reminder plus if someone is looking aorund he can learn about the users history through the flavour text of his past weapons?

And an empty plaque on the wall for that sword that got away, because I looted it off your corpse.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

I think I would be more down for a "Made by" tag. Names seem kind of superfluos given that:

1. Weapons will break down and can't even be brought into certain campaigns.
B. The name of a weapon isn't really "written" on the side of the blade or anything. You name it one thing, and it'll be your pet RP name for it.

That said, I think a quick decal system would lend cool customization. Sort of how in APB you can do your own pain jobs and cars. Give people a set of runes to combine that they can make their own custom mark on the sides of blades, hilts, wrap around bows, armor, etc. 

This would open up an interesting counterfeiting mechanic too as you try to copy someone else's rune.

Deadman; FIGHTER OF THE LIFE MAN, ooooAAAAH AHHHHH! CHAMPION OF THE... Oh. That's not how it goes...

http://www.twitch.tv/alt_delete - Alt Delete Gaming: Lose Ctrl.

I really do like the thought as crafting is something I have always been good at in games, gives me self-satisfaction and having "By..(whatever name I choose)" will make me feel a tad bit more proud.

~ Leaving a trail of ashes and broken hopes ~

Should the tags, "Made By _____" have a toggle in a menu to turn on and off as they please?  I know I won't want EVERY item I make to have my name on it.

Should the tags, "Made By _____" have a toggle in a menu to turn on and off as they please?  I know I won't want EVERY item I make to have my name on it.

If every item you have has your name on it doesn't that kind of defeat the perpous  tho? If it's on everything then it doesn't mean much. Personally, I think it's way more meaningful and thought provoking to put your name only on select few items. Those of exceptional quality, or those who have another sentimental or like wise deep meaning.

Personally, I think it's way more meaningful and thought provoking to put your name only on select few items. Those of exceptional quality, or those who have another sentimental or like wise deep meaning.

Is what I meant.  I'm useless before noon, lol.  A toggle that allows you to put your name on an item or not at the time of creation.  So not every item you make has your name on it but the ones you want to show off to the world.

Cool idea, I like it man. But lets be honest. 95% of people that find it will be like, compare stats, its worse ok i will sell it and forgets about it. Or, it's better equip, be happy, until he doesn't need it no more and forgets about it. MMORPGs are so cruel xD

Well, it was mostly a joke. But, now I kinda want to do it. I'd have to become a master crafter first, and/or have some of the best materials to be found, etc. It would just be funny to find the person who says "Wait... I thought this game wasn't PvE-focused! Did I just find a bunch of awesome gear after defeating some hefty NPC creatures?!" 8P

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Well, it was mostly a joke. But, now I kinda want to do it. I'd have to become a master crafter first, and/or have some of the best materials to be found, etc. It would just be funny to find the person who says "Wait... I thought this game wasn't PvE-focused! Did I just find a bunch of awesome gear after defeating some hefty NPC creatures?!" 8P

It would be funny if creatures can "eat" gear, and then when someone else hunts them down they loot them to find daggers, helmets and more in their stomachs XD

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

It would be funny if creatures can "eat" gear, and then when someone else hunts them down they loot them to find daggers, helmets and more in their stomachs XD

Oh god can you imagine what some tougher level 10 monster boss would be like? You kill it and suddenly you get burried in a sea of daggers and swords. A SEA! >:0  Because of all the lower level players that died to it. Scary!

If every item you have has your name on it doesn't that kind of defeat the perpous  tho? If it's on everything then it doesn't mean much. Personally, I think it's way more meaningful and thought provoking to put your name only on select few items. Those of exceptional quality, or those who have another sentimental or like wise deep meaning.

But who's to decide what exceptional quality is?

The whole made by tag system was extremely popular in Star Wars Galaxies.  The crafted items there could range from garbage to legendary purely based on the community's needs and what stat mixes they saw as ideal for their spec.  The recipes themselves were also very secretive because it involved mixing a slew of items together with varying qualities and stats of which there were countless permutations.  A crafter who has made a name for himself could rake in millions per sale.