Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chaoticgnome

All The Best Swords Have Names, You Know

Stabby Stab Stabbity Stab Stab Stabber: +200000000 Stab Power!

Is that you taking a stab at this whole weapon-naming thing? 6_u

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Would be cool if this was one of the rarest of occasions would happen but only when making the very best kind of weapons

people would fight for glory over these super rare named swords

IMO I think you should be able to name your weps full stop they way I see it is this I have a Sword its cool I love it but its call button basher am I still happy with the sword ofc its got a hilarious name and as with all crafted items its got the made by "XYZ" on the scroll over.

I think names weapons would be fantastic and I wouldn't even do it for the rarest think of it from a trade point of view I might just want a RP weapon with a cool name its almost a toggle while your making Sword +2 and matey over there says hey man you got a sword you say yep he gives u his 15 turnips and a pig. You then say want me to name it? he goes actually yeah man name it Flyng Pigspit so you do U get a rep for being a awesome making plus he gets his Flying Pigspit no harm no foul and all you did was click a Toggle icon above the wep. Just my 2 pence on the matter

Hey just Shout Bremmen and he will, Rise and Destroy the people you wish decimated :o

Would be cool if this was one of the rarest of occasions would happen but only when making the very best kind of weapons

people would fight for glory over these super rare named swords

Why? It's gonna wear out eventually. Just to hang it on the wall in your EK?

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Something like that, personally I'll name my armor:

Head: Never Gonna Give You Up

Chest: Never Gonna Let You Down

Gloves: Never Gonna Run around

Legs: And Desert You

So if somebody manages to kill me, my vengeance will come in form of Rick roll. Once the song gets stuck playing in your head, it's going to mess with you, badly.

Lol legs should be never gunna run around.

You're awesome.

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

I think I would be more down for a "Made by" tag. Names seem kind of superfluos given that:

1. Weapons will break down and can't even be brought into certain campaigns.

B. The name of a weapon isn't really "written" on the side of the blade or anything. You name it one thing, and it'll be your pet RP name for it.

That said, I think a quick decal system would lend cool customization. Sort of how in APB you can do your own pain jobs and cars. Give people a set of runes to combine that they can make their own custom mark on the sides of blades, hilts, wrap around bows, armor, etc. 

This would open up an interesting counterfeiting mechanic too as you try to copy someone else's rune.

How much did you play APB? The Market place was literally filled with hentai whenever a player that owned the billboards logged out.

I will aay the mixer was a lot of fun. Made most of my cash selling songs in that game.

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

To my personal opinion:

• All crafted objects ("low level to highest level") should have an option for the craftsman to mark his/her character name on it (Like "crafted by"). I remember games were craftsmen were well known because of the quality of the craft. Players like me were very pleased to carry those fine pieces of art
  • It could be interested than some exceptional skilled craftsmen should name their best crafts.Like ultimate level of crafting. You could introduce some rules
    • be able to name One highest level object per period (define period as weeks month..) and per craftsman.
    • Names of objects can be chosen by dev team in advance (Easy to control the background of the game like a Game Master does) or could be proposed in a list to players as a survey.
  • I also like to put the "title" of the craftsman (grandmaster / Finest carver of.. ) and the title of the Object also.

So you can have unique object like: " 

• "Aegis", shield of Bravery, made by the Grand master Wayland the Smith

I'd be more in favour of randomly generated names rather than player-assigned ones. That way they still have that feeling of extraordinary value but don't have totally stupid names.

Ya I think generated names would be a lot better.  Your name/fame would get out more because "you" created the actual Excalibur, not just naming a (great) sword that. I think it would awesome if the sword itself had a unique look, the chance of making it would be extremely rare, but the most passionate crafters would get there.

Given the fact we will not be fighting instance bosses, how will incredibly rare artifacts like these make it into the world?

I also think it will be a good thing that these items will be OP because its full loot. Gotta have a pretty big pair of balls to equip it.

And again these items should be very rare!

Name tags are a must. What if you were able to write a short flavor text, instead of naming the item? You would still see a lot of "This sword touched my balls" and "Whosoever uses this weapon shall be named the greatest n00b", but it would be easier to ignore, without removing the posibility of making the item feel unique.

I want to be able to place my named and broken weapons into a trophy room and have a plaque stating the amount of kills I got with it.

Sure would create a nice sense of attachment to weapons without the downside of them being infinitely durable.

532c836f2a.png

Naming weapons should be possible for ANY crafted weapon, not just exceptional ones.

The implication is, of course, that weapons with variable stats AND names become even more difficult to store and access efficiently in a database, but that's why we have smart people like the devs at ACE to figure that out.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

I agree that the craftsman should have the option to leave his/her mark or name on any item, but I think that's been the dev's intended design all along.

It'd be nice if each crafted item, instead of having just stats - would generate a descriptive name.  Instead of a 'longsword' it might be a 'superior darksteel longsword of bloodletting' or 'average iron longsword'.  This way knowing the quality of an item is inherent in it's name / description and not only by comparing numbers and stats.  And there could be rare qualities that only inhabit exceptional crafted items (like 'Phoenix' might indicate maximum fire damage) so certain names might be unique or at least very rare (and hopefully impressive.)

And I guess I wouldn't be against having an attribuite tag that a crafter/player could use to 'name' an item, but personally I don't see it as necessary.  Ayra's Needle probably just has a makers mark.  It's only 'Needle' because she says so.  Weapons could still have names, but that'd fall in the realm of RP not game mechanics.

I agree with berwars above in that the name should inherently reflect the uniqueness / quality of the item, not the crafters ability to generate a cool name.

I agree that the craftsman should have the option to leave his/her mark or name on any item, but I think that's been the dev's intended design all along.

It'd be nice if each crafted item, instead of having just stats - would generate a descriptive name.  Instead of a 'longsword' it might be a 'superior darksteel longsword of bloodletting' or 'average iron longsword'.  This way knowing the quality of an item is inherent in it's name / description and not only by comparing numbers and stats.  And there could be rare qualities that only inhabit exceptional crafted items (like 'Phoenix' might indicate maximum fire damage) so certain names might be unique or at least very rare (and hopefully impressive.)

And I guess I wouldn't be against having an attribuite tag that a crafter/player could use to 'name' an item, but personally I don't see it as necessary.  Ayra's Needle probably just has a makers mark.  It's only 'Needle' because she says so.  Weapons could still have names, but that'd fall in the realm of RP not game mechanics.

I agree with berwars above in that the name should inherently reflect the uniqueness / quality of the item, not the crafters ability to generate a cool name.

Agreed. I think it would be great to have each sword gain a name based on the materials used, or even have the enchantment change the name. Using your idea of "bloodletting", let's say we create an iron sword with an ability that makes it the "Iron Sword of Bloodletting". Simple direct name, and it tells you exactly what it is: And iron sword with an ability. But let's say you put a soul in it to enchant it, and it's the soul of a Blademaster Thrall. Then maybe it could change to "Blademaster's Sword of Bloodletting".

As to whether or not we should create our own names... As much as I'd enjoy it (I love creative expression), it would be both easily abused and, to some extent, pointless. Everyone would want to call their sword "Excalibur" and no one would know what the sword is good for without a close inspection.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Maybe make it so that every crafted item has the makers name attatched, and any Name can be crafted on to it, but at an extreme cost.

Whether to make it a pure currency cost or materials, or combination, I dont know.  I think maybe having a high gold cost along with a single rare reagent, given to a master crafter.  So the item can be named or renamed whenever the crafter or owner wants but its pretty cost prohibitive.

Sorta like the chris rock idea, not more limits on guns, just really expensive bullets.

Edited by MadLoota

If a sword uses 3 different metal ingots and a piece of leather for a hilt wrap as well as an augment slot it gets too cumbersome to put all that in the name. I don't want to see "buffalo-wrapped meteoric iron, rose gold, and bronze longsword of bloodletting" in my UI.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully