Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chaoticgnome

All The Best Swords Have Names, You Know

I see no problem with naming without any costs to it. It helps players feel a little more unique, especially if they are into roleplay. With item decay, I see no reason why there should be an extra cost to naming an item other than a crafter charging a customer more for that feature.

"In this world only winter is certain." -Ned Stark

If a sword uses 3 different metal ingots and a piece of leather for a hilt wrap as well as an augment slot it gets too cumbersome to put all that in the name. I don't want to see "buffalo-wrapped meteoric iron, rose gold, and bronze longsword of bloodletting" in my UI.

There's multiple ways around that:

1. Why would anyone include the type of leather in the name? An Iron Sword has leather on the hilt but you still call it an Iron Sword.

2. The metal it's known for can probably just be the best metal attached to it. So if you use iron, bronze and rose gold, it can just be named for the rose gold, although that would be weird to have a Rose Gold Sword (or longsword, by your example). :P

3. The augment slot is to put items in to add special little effects to the sword, so I'm thinking that's where the "Bloodletting" part comes from. Maybe the material used for the augmentation makes the blade sharper than most, or gives it the power of "wounds inflicted by this blade will bleed out".

4. Rose Gold Longsword of Bloodletting. Still a bit of a mouthful I guess, but it's better than "Buffalo-Wrapped Meteoric Iron, Rose Gold, and Bronze Longsword of Bloodletting".

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

What if the type of leather has just as much effect on the item's end stats as the types of metals and augments? Maybe my Buffalo-Wrapped Meteoric Iron, Rose Gold, and Bronze Longsword of Bloodletting plays significantly differently from my Elk-Wrapped Meteoric Iron, Rose Gold, and Bronze Longsword of Bloodletting.

What if Meteoric Iron, Rose Gold, and Primal Bronze are all equal tier metals? Should the system just pick one at random to include in the name? It'll be a pain to pick between my Meteoric Iron Longsword of Bloodletting which also includes Rose Gold and Primal Bronze, and my Meteoric Iron Longsword of Bloodletting which also has Titanium and and Elemental Tin, especially if one of my Meteoric Iron Longswords of Bloodletting has exactly the same makeup as my Rose Gold Longsword of Bloodletting

tl;dr the system has too many variables to usefully make the item name fully representative of its components or effects.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

<snip>

tl;dr the system has too many variables to usefully make the item name fully representative of its components or effects.

Fair enough.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

I'd say just name it for the type of sword it is. Is it a longsword? Is it a bastard sword? Is it a cutlass? Is it some fantasy variant of sword that they just made up? Then cool. Name it that, and maybe whatever enchantment/thrall-soul it has in it (since those are pretty limited, you're not going to have 92-adjective trains on the ends of the names).

The materials, I think, should be left more to the UI/information conveyance. Maybe there are small icons for each distinct material, and the weapon shows those icons beside it in inventories, detail listings, etc. So, if it's made from 3 metals, you'll be able to tell pretty easily. Also, visually, if they can have several different texture/color "zones" for each item design, then you can basically choose which ones you want to take on the characteristics of which metals. Maybe the blade's edge looks like rose gold, while the center looks like Primal Bronze, and the metal in the hilt looks like Mithril or something. And/or, you'd have filigree and such in some of the more ornate designs. That, or you could even go with a variety of pattern choices. Maybe the blade is mottled-looking with the different metals? Or maybe it has wavy bands of the different metals swirling/blending together. Etc.

Anywho, the main things that need to be conveyed immediately (by the name/visuals) are the overall characteristics of the sword. If its a two-handed sword instead of a short sword, for example... that's a lot more important than how much metal X is in it affecting its durability. Maybe the type of sword it is (just using swords for example) should dictate what main properties it has, and the metals used should mainly augment those existing properties? That way, you wouldn't have any "but this metal Y adds poison damage to the sword, but it's hard to convey that it's made of that metal, visually, when it's made of three metals, so how do you know if it's a poison sword?!". Just let the additive material / enchantment / thrall soul provide new effects (and let the name show those, as I mentioned before). A short sword will be lighter and swifter than a bastard sword. So, then a short sword made of Mithril will just be even lighter/swifter in relation to a non-Mithril short sword. It isn't really necessary to know "of Swiftness" or "Sharpened" when seeing/reading the name of a short sword, since you already know a short sword is relatively swift and light, and it already has some level of sharpness/critical chance (for example) to it. Sure, you don't know EXACTLY how much, but without the name listing the property values, a la "Shortsword of Swiftness 107 and Sharpness 70," you're still not going to know that. When someone keeps causing you to bleed more often or keeps attacking faster than you've seen people attack with short swords before, you'll know.

*shrug*. Just my take on descriptive info on equipment.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

What about a premade weapon naming thinger? You know like when you sat down on your old N64 and made a wrestler on "No Mercy" or any other THQ wrestling game. And they gave you a good list of preset ring names to choose from. Think of like 3 drop boxes to make your own combinations?

At least it saves us from an infinite number of genitalia jokes.

OS_Sig3.png

In ESO they didn't let you name your weapons and armor, but it said 'Crafted by' when you looked at it. I liked that. Naming your weapons would only really work if they make you spend months making legendaries like in Guild Wars 2. Only then would I really support it.

Elder Scrolls Online - Templar/Nightblade Mains      Guild Wars 2 - Necromancer/Thief Mains    http://www.twitch.tv/sommazzatore

Every great weapon need not only a heroic name, it needs to have a description of its deeds in battle.

Do it like this.

After naming you new sword "Excalibur" you take your weapon into its first battle. The first person you vanquish with the sword is named "Evilkillah". Thus henceforth the sword will be known as "Excalibur - Slayer of Evilkillah" or "Excalibur - Doom of Evilkillah" or....   :P

-: Crows before Hoes, Bros :-

I'd make a sword named....

Sward

sward
/swôrd/
noun: sward; plural noun: swards
  1. an expanse of short grass.
    • Farming
      the upper layer of soil, especially when covered with grass.

That's a strange name for a sword.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

sward
/swôrd/
noun: sward; plural noun: swards
  1. an expanse of short grass.
    • Farming
      the upper layer of soil, especially when covered with grass.

That's a strange name for a sword.

Well, its enchantment causes anything it hits to become covered in dirt. Also great for mowing the lawn and other gardening tasks.

I will be the best Forgemaster

I will make battle spades

Personally I'd find it funny to be looting a body to find a sword name. "Butt stabber." Or an armor peice name ."Protect me please." It'd be really unique and interesting when you find custom made equipment that has interesting and goofy names.

Edited by code2protect

Blixtev shared in a video about his awesome experience of the coldain ring quest with his guild on everquest and then his roommate getting the mask that was then named after his character. I think the point of him sharing that story with us was important. He want us to share in that same feeling he had, so we could possibly expect similar circumstances and I aprove. +1

SR8DSig_Surgemaster.png

"I don't know what I don't know" -Me

After reading through the thread I've come to a few conclusions about the merits of being able to name exceptional weapons. 

1. First off, I'd really be in support of something like this. Being able to mark the weapon (who made it) is already confirmed. And I see no reason we can't have both. I think being able to name a weapon would be a quality feature towards the goal of immersion and as just adds a lot of flavor in general.

2. It would probably be best being restricted to items of a certain quality or perhaps only on weapons that are critically crafted to ensure a named weapon really is legendary. Other than that, I don't see why you'd want to stop someone from naming a weapon through ridiculous costs or anything like that. 

3. I don't see a reason that a named weapon should be able to be renamed after it gets named. I can see a un-named weapon with the prerequisite rarity/quality being able to be named as is relevant by its wielder but I can't see a reason for the name to flip-flop names each time it passes hands. To clarify take two situations: Sword A is of the right quality and is named. It passes hands and cannot be renamed. Sword B is made and of the right quality but its creator does not name it. It eventually passes hands and its wielder can feel free to name it whatever they want, perhaps after a battle in which they owed their victory to their blade.

4. There was a lot of discussion about limiting blade names or even just making it based on a word bank. I disagree completely. I don't think there should be any limitations on naming a blade. Immersion is made from choice and possibility, not from forcing players into a strict narrative. If a weapon is named something you think is stupid, like 'excalibur' or 'urmomlol' then you can choose not to use it based on its name. Just as many other players would probably be turned off by a name like that as well. If a great weapon is forged and given a truly stupid name it will be worth less than something that reinforces atmosphere or lore. It's all a matter of cost in the end, you can guarantee that no stupid names are passed around but in exchange you give up that magical moment when you find "Gurstrog Centaurs Bane" on the corpse of a fallen assassin. And I don't think that cost is worth paying. If a name is truly offensive, featuring racial slurs or what have you I see no reason it can't be reported. A GM would take a look, see if they agree, and revert it to its default name for you with possible punishments for the one who named it depending on the severity of the offense. 

5. I saw somewhere in the thread someone had mentioned the idea of letting the blades lineage pass through via flavor texts, and even have its destruction accounted for. This seemed like a truly awesome idea. Perhaps a named weapon whose max durability has fallen below a certain point can be displayed on a plague in your EK as a memento of battles past or a trophy hanging in the throne room of your castle, a warning to diplomats who come with foul intentions in the midst of a campaign. 

6. With regards to weapons being too fleeting to be named. Again, I disagree. Weapons are fleeting because they are easily taken and with many battles break. However, they have outright said that weapons can be repairs at the cost of some max durability. In other words weapons aren't quite as fragile and worthless as you think. With its durability (and possibly stats) degrading over time it's definitely something that's fleeting, but I see no reason one weapon won't spam multiple campaigns if its owner(s) doesn't(don't) do much dying. It's still an question of whether or not to use a blade you don't want to see break, just not such that you never want to touch the thing, that would be silly.

Basically in the end it just comes down to a matter of what gives the game the tools it needs to feel like the breathing world we need rather than a railroaded environment that I'm sure a lot of us are trying to get away from.

5. I saw somewhere in the thread someone had mentioned the idea of letting the blades lineage pass through via flavor texts, and even have its destruction accounted for. This seemed like a truly awesome idea. Perhaps a named weapon whose max durability has fallen below a certain point can be displayed on a plague in your EK as a memento of battles past or a trophy hanging in the throne room of your castle, a warning to diplomats who come with foul intentions in the midst of a campaign. 

Honestly when i started reading and didn't read everything, that's what I was gonna propose :

I think the hassle of dealing with named things would be a bit much, unless limited to certain words like the player's name and suffixes etc,

but flavor text on the other hand could be added for those that wish to do so, and could be checked by those who wish to do so.

This would make it possible to add some meaning to crafting

take some example flair texts you could add :

weapon X :

"forged by Y in a rage after getting killed by Z and sworn to take revenge"

or

"forged by Y as a present for his friend Z"

or

"forged in a sweat shop by Y, please save me"

or

"if you show this weapon to me, I'll give you 5% off at my shop Z"

or

"enjoy it while you can looter, I'm coming back for it"

You can still report obscene flavor text (unless you like them), and while not all text will be lore colored or neutral, 

it could be used as marketing, branding, guild flavoring, enemy taunting etc

As for the technical side of things, as all text needs to be stored and distributed, you could limit the flavor text to a couple per crafter, maybe even make it a passive skill for known crafters (flavor slots), or even have people vote on original / witty flavor texts so they win extra slots. Make it so that you need to think about it a bit, as changing the text would update all weapons carrying it if you chose something like that.

Crafters could have a special ranking by flavor slots, for people that would respect such a thing.

Those who don't can ignore it and still play, and not be confused by item names.

Heck, you could unlock the flavor slot again once all items have broken, as a crafter you'd know an era/campaign ended, or that your masterpiece finally got broken and that it's time to forge a new one...

I'm sure a dev or designer could incorporate something of the kind that doesn't stress the system to much, yet still leaves room for some sort of gratification to the crafter, other then a standard "crafted by Z"

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-