Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ashentemper

The Lore of Shadowbane

The original plan was in line with server travel. One day we'd open up the gate that allowed travel to that fragment (server) that held the forest near Kierhaven where the World Tree was. The bigger question would be... would Shadowbane still be there? :)

Awesome, thanks for the answer. =D

I really hope Meridian joins the project...

Its a somewhat minor element in the grand scheme, but the snippets of lore we have so far are very disappointing. 

In Shadowbane The All-Father was a bit mysterious, but he certainly wasn't all powerful, or rather there were other forces of near equal power.  Dragon, Chaos Lords, Void, Grallokur(who never got much air time), etc. In some ways the All-Father was merely a very powerful demi-god, the rest of the cast not rising to that level.  Time, the Sun, was created cataclysmicly and for a purpose. Malog/Morloch was wounded by one of these equally powerful beings, and his story and motivation was coherent and believable.

The tone of Shadowbane's lore, while sometimes conflicting (great innovation) was consistent.  It was, for lack of a better word, dark/epic fantasy in line with Tolkien.  The actual classes/disciplines kept the dark tone with an added layer of post-apocalypse survival. 

Crowfall, thus far we have an almost childishly simple creation myth.  God Creates World, Sun, Moon and Sky, God Has Kids, God Family Fights.  The tone is pretty radically different from Shadowbane's and not really setting up anything other than the lore being superficial.  And then we add Guinea Pigs as a major race, channeling more Redwall than Tolkien. 

Gameplay always comes first, but for those of us that love the added depth the Lore gave Shadowbane, it seems like we are off to a rocky start in Crowfall.

P.S.  I wish Crowfall had led with something like this as a teaser.  Maybe thats a bit involved but, damn epic, and contains about same amount of hard info.

Edited by angelmar

I really hope Meridian joins the project...

Its a somewhat minor element in the grand scheme, but the snippets of lore we have so far are very disappointing. 

In Shadowbane The All-Father was a bit mysterious, but he certainly wasn't all powerful, or rather there were other forces of near equal power.  Dragon, Chaos Lords, Void, Grallokur(who never got much air time), etc. In some ways the All-Father was merely a very powerful demi-god, the rest of the cast not rising to that level.  Time, the Sun, was created cataclysmicly and for a purpose. Malog/Morloch was wounded by one of these equally powerful beings, and his story and motivation was coherent and believable.

The tone of Shadowbane's lore, while sometimes conflicting (great innovation) was consistent.  It was, for lack of a better word, dark/epic fantasy in line with Tolkien.  The actual classes/disciplines kept the dark tone with an added layer of post-apocalypse survival. 

Crowfall, thus far we have an almost childishly simple creation myth.  God Creates World, Sun, Moon and Sky, God Has Kids, God Family Fights.  The tone is pretty radically different from Shadowbane's and not really setting up anything other than the lore being superficial.  And then we add Guinea Pigs as a major race, channeling more Redwall than Tolkien. 

Gameplay always comes first, but for those of us that love the added depth the Lore gave Shadowbane, it seems like we are off to a rocky start in Crowfall.

P.S.  I wish Crowfall had led with something like this as a teaser.  Maybe thats a bit involved but, damn epic, and contains about same amount of hard info.

LOL sounds to me like you would enjoy David Webers Orfressa Cycle of fantasy books.

Ashen, nice to see you still kicking around... but I have a secret confession. Having GMs dole super loot to undeserving people was my only interaction with lore in SB.

The lore for Shadowbane was the best I have ever seen. It is what caught me and held me until release. I can't even begin to count the hours I spent in my computer class browsing and posting in The Golden Lion instead of doing my work. I can't wait to see everything else you can find Ashen.

Was a member of Demize or Dz tag with Starlord... R30's/Scorned Death/Wrath and Retribution(WaR) and still know a couple of the FTW guys are around somewhere.