Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bassa

Is Anyone Else Affraid Of What This Game Could Be?

??? I'm sure Bassa has rage-quit the forums, but I must ask, How is it possible for someone follow this game at all and not know there are rules? The whole thing is when someone wins, the world is destroyed and we start a new one. I don't get it, now my head hurts.

Welcome to the party. 

On mobile. Dang it. Maybe I should pull a Bassa and rage quit because I can't make my text bold on my mobile.

/RAGEQUIT!  I bet if that other guy (can't remember his name) who posts in ALL BOLD couldn't he would actually /ragequit. 

I mean every MMO is going to be a theme park to some extent, because there has to be more than one role in it and thus more than one way to play, or else it just won't be that massive and won't have any depth.

If ACE were to totally remove crafting, EKs, exploration, economy, rulesets... What's to stop people from getting bored with 6 month campaigns and just going back to pure PVP non MMO games?

I mean every MMO is going to be a theme park to some extent, because there has to be more than one role in it and thus more than one way to play, or else it just won't be that massive and won't have any depth.

If ACE were to totally remove crafting, EKs, exploration, economy, rulesets... What's to stop people from getting bored with 6 month campaigns and just going back to pure PVP non MMO games?

Not sure what your definition of theme park is, but it does not line up with the common one

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

This is actually the opposite of what a themepark MMO is.  A themepark MMO is designed to be a controlled experience by the developers from start to finish.  Crowfall is far from this.

[@--(o.O)@]

A themepark is usually referred to a game where you have no control of the outcome.. You are just along for the ride the devs created.

Usually this means a WoW style game, where you have a linear story you have to follow from point A to Z and you cant choose to go for point G just because you feel like it.

Too much troll and toxicity in the OP to answer. All i can do is say you really need to read the, FAQ pages.

Edited by Doomgrin

Entropy is not what it used to be.  I am a servant of The Nothing.. The Hunger!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

??? I'm sure Bassa has rage-quit the forums, but I must ask, How is it possible for someone follow this game at all and not know there are rules? The whole thing is when someone wins, the world is destroyed and we start a new one. I don't get it, now my head hurts.

Since when did you have only one head?

Ah, the forumfall lives hehe. Good times. 

Yes I am worried it will feel to "small" and more like a WOW PVP instance than a living MMO world. That is my number one concern. I can already do that type of PVP in hundreds of MMOs, what this genre has been missing since UO and SWG and DAOC is the feeling of fighting in a world. A big, living, breathing, consequencial MMORPG world where my actions matter. I worry CF isn't thinking of PVP as a broad diverse things but rather as a much smaller more narrow form of play.

I role play a wordsmith.

He's also done this a few times already. He makes a post or two raging about something or other then leaves only to come back to do it all over again. They're all the same too making nonsensical arguments and making crazy logic leaps that don't exist. Critique the game all one wants we can work with that and base a good convo from it but at least make sense ffs.

So yeah thanks Bassa for checking in, see you next week?

I'm a bit new at MMOs (and this forum), but doesn't a theme park require...well, attractions? "Theme park MMOs" create dungeons, raids, questlines, and whatever else to create a specific sort of experience that will be roughly reproducible by any player. That would be the idea of a theme park, wouldn't it? You pay for admission, you ride the roller coaster, you buy the cotton candy, and should you come back tomorrow, in a week, or even three years, you'll find the same experiences and will be able to repeat them roughly to the letter. Sure, they might have a new roller coaster, and the cotton candy recipe might've changed, but it's still the same dealio.   

Now, what I'm seeing from Crowfall, and what drew me to the game in the first place, is that there is none of that. If I leave for a couple months, when I come back, there are whole new campaigns to play and the political structure will surely have changed (or at the very least become more nuanced). Furthermore, for me versus another player, we'll have completely different experiences and perspectives on the content, we may approach it from different guilds or purposes, and ultimately we may be seeking something completely different from each campaign or situation, something that is not prescribed to us.  

I suppose I feel that if many other MMOs are theme parks, Crowfall sounds more like the summers spent with your friends, out and about, doing whatever comes to mind. The base materials and resources available to you rarely change, and the people are generally the same, but each day is different from the previous or next. Even when you try to recreate the experience from another day, you're creating something new, and it's entirely because you are creating it, as opposed to an overseer or master planner (be it a dev or your parents). There's an agency to what we're doing, maybe not as much as we'd expect or desire, but more than nothing, and in that we will likely see emergent outcomes that we might otherwise never expect. 

But I suppose this is just the textual equivalent of thinking aloud. 

"The horror, the horror."

Currently looking for guild! Resume and references provided on request. 

When I read the title I incorrectly assumed this was a topic with substance.  How disappointing.  Shouldn't this thread be moved to another section?  The OP has nothing to do with Crowfall after all.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Even if we did remove all that stuff -- which, of course, we won't -- 6 months is actually a great starting point.  If our average player plays for half a year, that's huge, because it means our real fans will stick around for years.  Keep in mind that the trend for recent games has been to measure player retention in weeks.

Our industry has become obsessed with the day 7, day 14, day 30 retention numbers common to FTP games.  

I'm hoping that our campaign-focused design will change that equation for CF.  We'll see!

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]