Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bassa

Is Anyone Else Affraid Of What This Game Could Be?

Even if we did remove all that stuff -- which, of course, we won't -- 6 months is actually a great starting point.  If our average player plays for half a year, that's huge, because it means our real fans will stick around for years.  Keep in mind that the trend for recent games has been to measure player retention in weeks.

Our industry has become obsessed with the day 7, day 14, day 30 retention numbers common to FTP games.  

I'm hoping that our campaign-focused design will change that equation for CF.  We'll see!

Todd

ACE

I just want Crowfall to be the awesome game we hope it to be and that I'll play it for the next decade or so, all this trying to find a decent game in the sea of poorly made socks that is the current market has been utterly exhausting.

Member of The BlackHand Order

I honestly think the entire concept of time limited servers is being underestimated here. It's not just a new feature.

Talking with old friends who enjoy online gaming as much as I do, I realized that Crowfall has a great chance of being appealing to those who play MOBAs and FPS games competitively (aka on MMR with ~5vs5 arenas). MMORPGs have a huge audience already, but currently lots of people avoid them entirely, because they are too much time-sinking... basically playing a MMORPG feels like having a second life, and one never truly knows when it's supposed to end and if his actions will be lost after he's gone.

I tried to get one of my friends (a dota maniac) to play mmos for years, and for the first time he said he's interested in one.

"Sure, let's play on the same campaign.. it will be a fun couple of months.", he said.

Hopefully when their first 'match' will be over, they'll want more. :)

No, I am not afraid for this game's future. Though I am of course afraid I won't like it since I am hard to please.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

I hope OP comes back to better explain his points in the first post.  Sounds like he needs some shepherding...

Hahahaha!   And I know who could do that.................

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

How did this not turn into a massive flame war?

He insulted multiple good MMO's and Crowfall itself in the first post.

Madness I tell thee!

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

lol, it's always nice when I get proof that maybe I am not that lazy after all  :lol:

You are so very welcome!

Madness I tell thee!

We like to just derail these.  Makes life on the forums nicer, IMO.

We like to just derail these.  Makes life on the forums nicer, IMO.

Good point.

Anything that starts with a bunch of insults should indeed not be taken seriously.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Uhm... I'm not really sure how Crowfall is that similar to any of the games you listed, especially based on any of the recent dev videos. The simple truth is that while Crowfall will inevitably bear some similarities to previous games in the genre, it's ambitious enough to be a thing of its own and doesn't really have a valid "blah meets blah" comparison to make.

Ironically, considering your avatar, the most prominent similarity I noticed in the recent siege video was to the original "clan shard" siege system in Darkfall.

I think OP thought it was becoming more theme park than sandbox because or the idea of "rulesets" sometimes limiting campaigns, EKs, and campaign building being limited. I don't agree with OP that's what I just think they meant...

I hate it, because it's an mmo (time sinks), but I'll participate in alpha stage of development of Crowfall.  ^_^

So it must be some interesting features that attract players like me to Crowfall for sure. :)

1. FFA full loot. 

2. A true PvP game - decisions matters in a campaign.

3. It's a very competitive game with guilds and politics.

4. Trophies. (Stanley cup comparison.)

5. Sandbox (free to do whatever you like in a campaign - it's about the player creativity and freedom in my opinion.

- So I don't agree with @TS at all to be honest.

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

First of all im disappointed. What are these "rulesets" Where had the "more than a sandbox" phare gone? It is more like (Put the name of any sh.t game like WH, Wildstar, GW2, ESO etc) meets (any game from the list above). Which features are from EvE (only afk offline skill gain) and UO (can see 0)? Also the community, more than 2/3 of which are from the sh.t games from the list above and the most scaring fact is that they like to write how good that games are (were). Every new Dev Diary video shows that they are making a regular themepark with nothing more but a mixture of sh.t games features.

You may dislike it but I do not care anymore about this game. Probably will try it in 2 years if they will manage to release it.

I think this game will have a lot of sandbox features, the castles, villages and EK's will not have  sand castles but more like Lego's which is great.  I don't believe you could truly name a sandbox PVE/PVP game that has enough sub's to fund continued development.  From the beginning you knew that this game was going to be more than an empty world waiting for player to build it. If anything thing you should have expected Shadowbane with a dash of EVE < My Dream Game>.

The closest thing you can get to a sandbox MMO will be Landmark, Wurm to name a few.  There are not enough creative people to ever have a true sandbox game that is fun. People will try and most will fail at world creation which leads to junk yards with mansions. 

In my opinion Sandparks is where its at. You can still have an open skill system and some world building options but is designed and defined by the development team so there is always some level of quality. Its like D&D, some of my friend could tailor great adventures, while most could not. But anyone of them could run a great campaign which was just as, if not more, fun.

Madness I tell thee!

Maybe people are slowly learning how to have civil conversations instead of acting like fanatics.

First of all im disappointed. What are these "rulesets" Where had the "more than a sandbox" phare gone? It is more like (Put the name of any sh.t game like WH, Wildstar, GW2, ESO etc) meets (any game from the list above). Which features are from EvE (only afk offline skill gain) and UO (can see 0)? Also the community, more than 2/3 of which are from the sh.t games from the list above and the most scaring fact is that they like to write how good that games are (were). Every new Dev Diary video shows that they are making a regular themepark with nothing more but a mixture of sh.t games features.

You may dislike it but I do not care anymore about this game. Probably will try it in 2 years if they will manage to release it.

Your struggles stem from your perception of other games not so much from what crowfall is doing.  There are very few true sandboxes in the mmo industry.  Most games have pretty guided experiences. 

You could argue that most if not all mmorpgs were crappy games in some way and that's why we are waiting for this one. 

Madness I tell thee!

It's called Meta-Tro_lling. You post reasonable and polite responses in an obvious tro_ll thread.

The More You Know :)

CopperStall

Edited by Dimestore

Maybe people are slowly learning how to have civil conversations instead of acting like fanatics.

Perhaps.

Though that would be a fast turn around.

I didn't miss any revalations did I?

A solid quote, I'd say.

Perhaps.

Only that the shepherd will lead the flock.    But that is yesterdays news.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Perhaps.

I think it has to do with the fact that some of the more vocal and active posters have been repeatedly corrected by ACE within the last week or two so maybe those posters are starting to realize they need to be more rational in the perceptions that they develop.

So the forums are basically getting less runaway assumption trains about how ACE has changed their vision, or about how the EKs will blot out the sun or whatever other weird assumptions people have been making.

Edited by sheen