Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
malkav

Archtype Request - Necromantic Knight Type

Of all the MMOs (starting with UO, Meridian, and EQ) all the way up to ESO today, there is one class/archtype that has always been my steadfast favorite. That was the Shadow Knight in EQ, EQOA, and EQ2. I did quite enjoy the DK in WoW (before they lowered the skill needed to play it) and the Dread Knight in Vanguard (flop or not the class was cool as hell).

That being said my ideal SK/DK type archtype being added to this game would look something like this:

Heavy Armor

2Handed weapon (preferably a Scythe style weapon)

Life stealing attacks

Life stealing ranged DoT spells

A small selection of other DoT spells with a secondary effect (Fear, Snare, Attack speed/power debuff)

Self buffs (Strength, Damage return shield ect)

An undead pet (that scales correctly enough to not be garbage or a liability)

A longer CD massive single target nuke (like Harm Touch)

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Terry Pratchett

Of all the MMOs (starting with UO, Meridian, and EQ) all the way up to ESO today, there is one class/archtype that has always been my steadfast favorite. That was the Shadow Knight in EQ, EQOA, and EQ2. I did quite enjoy the DK in WoW (before they lowered the skill needed to play it) and the Dread Knight in Vanguard (flop or not the class was cool as hell).

That being said my ideal SK/DK type archtype being added to this game would look something like this:

Heavy Armor

Life stealing attacks

A small selection of other DoT spells with a secondary effect (Fear, Snare, Attack speed/power debuff)

so a dragon knight from ESO?

Edited by Archiebunker82

Heavy Armor

Life stealing attacks

With 11 base archetypes each with 3+ promotion classes + any number of Discipline combinations I think you'll find your niche within the system already.

Also, there's a confirmed Vampyre discipline that should provide some of those life stealing abilities you desire.

You could probably add a few caster disciplines to a Knight or Champion and end up with something pretty close to what you're looking for. Is there any particular reason you want this as a unique archetype rather than a character specialization option of an existing base?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

My main reason for wanting this as an Archtype is that in most games where you have 'emulate' it with other classes it feels like a hollow facsimile of what I want to be playing.

To the example of the Dragon Knight from ESO. I would say you can create a closer facsimile with the Night Blade but that is exactly the point. It is only close. Thus my request. I want to be playing the death magic based heavy armor combatant that is half Necro, half plate fighter. Not just a knight with some nods towards this effect, but a truly unique play experience.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Terry Pratchett

An interesting idea. While I certainly would not be opposed to being unseasonable my first choice would be a dark elf,

I like the idea (I too liked the SK from EQ, EQ2 and the dread knight from Vanguard), but I think for CF, instead of being based around unholiness and undeath, a version that uses aspects of the Hunger instead. Something like:

Archetype: The Succumbed

Promotion:

Defiler: Caster designed around corrupting everything around with Hunger,

Corrupted Warlord: SK style Hunger knight

Destroyer of Worlds: A siege heavy guy.

I like the idea (I too liked the SK from EQ, EQ2 and the dread knight from Vanguard), but I think for CF, instead of being based around unholiness and undeath, a version that uses aspects of the Hunger instead. Something like:

Archetype: The Succumbed

Promotion:

Defiler: Caster designed around corrupting everything around with Hunger,

Corrupted Warlord: SK style Hunger knight

Destroyer of Worlds: A siege heavy guy.

This is a great idea, the same game play mechanics and overall aesthetic would be able to be used. (If there are no Undead in CF). If there are undead, I still like the idea of undead control. 

As for the change from disease to hunger that could very well play into the ideas that have been shared about how hunger will affect players and monster. Could lead to a truly unique and interesting character much like the SK was for EQ.

Yeah Joziah, that is one of the main reasons for my request. I don't want it to be a sorta SK. I really want that Heavy armor wearing, dark magic wielding lifetapping play experience again.

I even re-installed EQ2 and tried an EQ1 Emulator recently to play it again. But I really want a more modern MMO with that same character play experience. I will say the Hidden Forest guys do a great job with EQ1 but it isnt quite the same experience as the first time in the world which is why I am excited by the possibilty of an SK type in this game. New worlds all the time!

This would not work. We are the crows, granted the gifts from the gods. ALL of the gods (including the evil ones) fight the hunger. The hunger is the death of all life, and the creation of undead is essentially from the hunger. Even the evil gods wouldn't let you get away with creating undead as it represents everything they are fighting against.

They are big on lore reasons for everything, thus don't expect death focused classes from this game is my expectation. Lose the death imagery and a Templar using vampire discipline and a pet discipline could grant the same thing just with a holy lean instead of a death lean.

Also, they do not want strong heals in this game, you are asking for a ton of life steal. It won't happen. I will be surprised if any life steal exists in this game outside of the vampire discipline which you can expect will be one very long cooldown active use melee skill.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

This would not work. We are the crows, granted the gifts from the gods. ALL of the gods (including the evil ones) fight the hunger. The hunger is the death of all life, and the creation of undead is essentially from the hunger. Even the evil gods wouldn't let you get away with creating undead as it represents everything they are fighting against.

They are big on lore reasons for everything, thus don't expect death focused classes from this game is my expectation. Lose the death imagery and a Templar using vampire discipline and a pet discipline could grant the same thing just with a holy lean instead of a death lean.

Also, they do not want strong heals in this game, you are asking for a ton of life steal. It won't happen. I will be surprised if any life steal exists in this game outside of the vampire discipline which you can expect will be one very long cooldown active use melee skill.

"Spirit Summoning" could also suffice. That's a type of specialization for voodoo witchdoctors.

Keep in mind that the original poster did put up this suggestion based on his preferable playing style from his past experiences on other games. 

Design-wise, it could work, but concept-wise? hmm....

xEaNvuV.png

They could always give the story a twist that necromancy is actually a ritual to prevent dead corpses being consumed by hunger,

by filling up the corpses with necromantic energies,it is way harder for hunger to consume & penetrate the corpses.

So it infact is some kind of purification ritual.

A possible promotion for the confessor perhaps?

In the games I used to love in the 90's ,necromancers always played a role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2yp0HMUlCI&feature=youtu.be&t=340