Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upon A Lonely Hill...

penlowe

.. among a stand of sapling trees, stood a figure clad in what could only be called 'greens'. Her tunic and leggings were neither plant nor animal, but somehow reminiscent of both. She sighed deeply and shifted her weight slightly, suddenly disappearing.Or did she? Ah, no, a druid. Not cast magic, but the natural camouflage abilities of her kind. What is she doing out here alone? Her type didn't travel solo, too tender and susceptible to the roving gangs that patrolled these dying woods. Best approach with caution.

OOC (hope this forum picks up a bit, really liking what I've seen so far)

Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.

OOC: (Kalorn, Human Ranger)

The land had begun to turn. It was always the same. The sickness had taken root deep within it's core and with every day now it's effects were noticeable. Nothing but the caws of crows filled the trees now and the cold was slowly settling in.

Kalorn pulled his hood closer about his unshaven face. Night would be upon him soon and the horrors not far behind. His gaze cast to stand of saplings across the brown meadow. To the untrained eye it was barren of life. But he had seen enough to know there was a person hidden among the throngs. He raised his bow, crossing the meadow slowly as he approached. A sign of peace perhaps. How would she react?

Pen looked at her traveling partner, sound asleep at the root of the trees. She heard the softest of footfalls, knowing few others could.

"I hear you, and I hear that you are alone.".

She smirked to herself as she heard the pause in his step. He was close enough she could sense the mushrooms and carrots in his pack. She could smell blood too, fresh kill, probably small game.She hoped it wasn't one of those funny little furry folks she had met a while back, she didn't think she could eat one of them. He was in need of a cook fire. This was mutually beneficial.

"come on out, I have a fire and a pot, and maybe an onion. You have fresh meat"

She rested her foot near her partners ribs in case this ranger decided her offer wasn't sufficient.

OOK (going to bed, I'll check in tomorrow)

Kalorn narrowed his grey eyes. "You're a tad friendly to strangers neighbor." He planted his bow in the soft ground of the meadow and regarded her evenly. "All manner travel these parts. Some wouldn't bat an eyelash at giving yer body to the wolves."

He was a thin man, with long arms and legs hidden behind fur-lined leather. A chain hauberk covered his chest. He clearly had connections. Metal was a scarce resource these days and any that still possessed it could consider themselves lucky indeed. "I mean not to disrespect your offer, but I've little reason to seek companionship this late in the cycle. What motives drive you to share your fire?"

Edited by Makeshyft

"fair enough. I'm not alone, as I'm sure you surmised. This lump here is my best friend" she tapped the warriors breastplate with her toe and it gave a suitably large sounding THUNK! This action did not wake him. "We seek information and our former allies. We were separated at the ending of a world, We've been searching far and wide ever since." The druid sat down and added a few dead sticks to the fire.

"The hunger is already here, I know this patch looks green but these trees are already dying, see the dead branch? this one is already dead through half it's trunk. The hunger is deep in the ground here, the long roots of the trees are bringing it to the surface."

She waited for the ranger to relax and come closer to the fire, but he stayed put.

"Do you need arrows? the trees are alive enough for me to extract some, a meal for some ammunition?"

"I am aware the Hunger already gnaws at this world's roots." The Ranger kicked aside a tuft of mottled brown grass with the toe of his boot. "Tis why my brothers and I have gated here."

He regarded the pair a moment longer before setting his pack down. "The fight between Gods is coming to an end. Now our only priority is evacuating this world."

He sat down on his haunches and rested his elbows on his knees. "Who are these companions you're searching for?"

"Dear companions and fellow soldiers, an odd lot, not the kind who look to be useful at a glance, but able to work together to surprising success" She rummaged through her bag pulling out a threadbare cloth that might have been red once. It wasn't just worn, it was ancient, faded with time as well as battle. She shook it out away from the fire and it was revealed to be a tabard. There were burn holes, slashes, and strange stains, all carefully tended to keep the useless garment intact. "we were scattered by some wicked magic that preceded the hunger, although it might be related. At this point it doesn't matter. I just hope some have survived and we keep searching for them". She pointed to the odd shape in the middle that might have been cloth of gold, once, it was barely an outline now. "That's a silly hat. ever seen one like it?"

She looked the Ranger in the eye and hoped he would offer up the food he carried soon. He appeared to be studying the cloth so she shifted over closer the the stripling tree nearest her a concentrated. she drew out about half a length of a good stout arrow and fledged it with bright green leaves. she left the half formed arrow in the tree and waited.

• 2 weeks later...

(Sorry I am late, Fae - Assassin)

A Fae lady walked out, her long dark purple hair flowing in the wind as her wings were kept to her side. She had deep red eyes and a smile that could possibly turn a persons heart cold. She had her daggers out but didn't seem to be using them, yet. She bowed to the two and spoke in a rather deep voice. "Well, well, well...I wasn't expecting anyone else to be here, I heard you from some distance...Lady Tayeko Darktongue is the name I go by, not my true name but with my line of work one needs to be...quiet about their true names. So tell me, what brings you here?"

She licked her crimson red lips. Eyeing both of them, as if asking herself mentally which one she more trusted and which one would be a good one to kiss.

(My char is a bit of a romantic - and quite a bit dark - sorry :P )

• 2 weeks later...