Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Wild Darkwombat Appears!

Greetings, fellow Crows!  I am Darkwombat, and I am here to do TWO THINGS!  Introduce myself, and chew bubble gum. 

(*wild-eyed look*)

. . .and I'm all outta bubble gum.

Dark Age of Camelot:

My first MMO was DAOC -- Played as an Alb for quite some time, enjoyed the tri-realm PvP aspect considerably, but we were hopelessly outnumbered by the despicable Middies.  Eventually, a friend got me to roll on Gaheris (GASP!  The gonzo server!) and I ended up being co-GM of one of the larger guilds -- Emerald Dragons -- there for a while.  I wouldn't trade my time in Emerald Dragons or on Gaheris for anything.  Awesome game, awesome server community (mostly), awesome guild.  But, being a GM was sort of exhausting, and my beloved Gaheris was rather prone to drama.  The upshot was that I was pretty exhausted when WoW came out, and I made the switch and didn't look back, though it hurt to do so.  I made a lot of good friends in DAOC and it was during a pretty intensely painful IRL time for me.

WoW:

Started a small guild here, IRL friends only.  Loved the days of vanilla WoW -- ran around with IRL buddies who had also decided to play, had a blast.  Eventually they wanted to join a raiding guild and so my small, "casual" style guild disbanded and I joined with them.  Great guild, great people in the raiding guild -- I am still IRL friends with several of them --  but I discovered that I really hated WoW raiding -- not so much the raid as the ridiculous amount of prep for it.  I just wasn't into spending multiple hours after work, running around grinding mats for the Friday night raid.  Also during this time my gaming schedule really started to conflict with my RL duties, and I eventually gave up raiding and spent most of the rest of my WoW time soloing and exploring on my own terms.

LOTRO

Being a huge LOTR fan, I have to say I love Turbine's recreation of Middle Earth.  I played on Landroval, the RP server, and the community there is even more amazing than they say.  I played heavily for several years, and still play LOTRO intermittently up to the present day.  I did some PvP there as well, but didn't really get into it -- it wasn't bad, but didn't grab me the way DAOC did.

SW:TOR

I had such high hopes for this game.  I took a hiatus from LOTRO and played this for a while -- it was good.  I had fun.  But ultimately it felt like the same sort of grind I had hoped to have left behind in WoW.  I hung around for a while doing pickup PvP, but eventually got bored, not so much because of SW:TOR but more due to burnout with PVE MMOs in general.  LOTRO gets my limited supply of MMO time these days.

MMO hiatus

After LOTRO went F2P, I decided not to sub any more MMOs and catch up on a massive backlog of single-player games I had ignored during my MMO days.  I've been happily retro gaming and solo gaming for quite some time.  My multiplayer needs get met on the Xbox with my brother who lives out of state -- we mostly play co-op Borderlands series.

CROWFALL!!

As you can see from the above, my experience so far has been mainly PVE-centric.  It was fun, but I think I'm over it.   I love the idea of Crowfall being a strategy game married to an MMO.  I love that there are dying worlds, and truly hope that will avoid some of the stagnation that I saw back in the day with the "Mid zerg" or the "Alb zerg" in DAOC.  I am fully aware that I will likely get pwned by the hardcore Shadowbane players and others who have been playing primarily PvP -- and I look forward to it.   Every time someone kills me, I'll be watching -- paying attention, learning by experience. I am willing to fundamentally shift my outlook on what playing an MMO is -- I am ready -- no, ANXIOUS -- to be done with foozle quests, grinding, dailies, and DKP.  I'm tired of killing and being killed by mere lines of code.  I want to play with and against humans.  I want to live or die by my ability to outwit, outfight, and out-play my opponents.

I want to be a Crow.

PS:  OK, rapid-fire real life stuff -- I'm old enough to remember a time before Nintendo, comfortable calling myself "middle aged", very happily married, wife and I are in training to be therapeutic foster parents, and I live in Indiana.  Had 4 cats for a long time, down to just one elderly little kitty now. :(  Cats need longer lifespans.  When not PC gaming, I am an avid tabletop gamer, I also do American Civil War re-enacting (north and south, as needed) and am active in my local church.  I pay the bills as the top-tier tech support guy for an airline that many of you in the states have likely flown on.  Oh,and I once almost bayoneted the actor Martin Sheen, purely by accident.

Edited by darkwombat

mael4.jpg

Welcome fellow Landrovite!  Not sure how long you've been on Landroval but if you remember Aquilegia then long enough.

Great to have you here.

Edit: forgot my own character's name.  Sigh.  So ashamed.

Edited by Oridi

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Welcome fellow Landrovite!  Not sure how long you've been on Landroval but if you remember Aquilegia then long enough.

Great to have you here.

Edit: forgot my own character's name.  Sigh.  So ashamed.

Thanks, and I believe I do remember that name!  I was/am Wolfwynde, of Sons of Numenor, my main among many, many alts.

Thanks, by the way, for the Crowfall Chronicles!  That was a great read, and you are a gifted writer.  I was sad to see the tale come to an end.  I do hope you'll spin us some more stories when the mood strikes you.

mael4.jpg

Welcome Darkwombat.

I'm curious if you are an Aussie too?

I am not, but I've had the pleasure of playing with many Aussies in various worlds and servers -- can't think of even one time it wasn't a blast! :)  I assume you wondered because of my wombat name and pic -- that dates back to my college days in the USA in central Indiana, many moons ago, in the days of text browsers and before AOL was even a thing.  I needed to pick a screen name for my VAX account as a freshman, and for some reason I came up Darkwombat.  I've always thought wombats were awesome critters, though I know they sometimes cause you Aussies a lot of trouble.

Anyway thanks for the welcome to you and all the fine other folks others who have replied.

mael4.jpg

Thanks, and I believe I do remember that name!  I was/am Wolfwynde, of Sons of Numenor, my main among many, many alts.

Thanks, by the way, for the Crowfall Chronicles!  That was a great read, and you are a gifted writer.  I was sad to see the tale come to an end.  I do hope you'll spin us some more stories when the mood strikes you.

Whoohooo!  I think we did some Moria runs together. 

Thanks for the kind words about the Chronicles.  I'm hoping that you'll hop into the writing seat yourself as your wit and ability to weave words are quite grand.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I am not, but I've had the pleasure of playing with many Aussies in various worlds and servers -- can't think of even one time it wasn't a blast! :)  I assume you wondered because of my wombat name and pic -- that dates back to my college days in the USA in central Indiana, many moons ago, in the days of text browsers and before AOL was even a thing.  I needed to pick a screen name for my VAX account as a freshman, and for some reason I came up Darkwombat.  I've always thought wombats were awesome critters, though I know they sometimes cause you Aussies a lot of trouble.

Anyway thanks for the welcome to you and all the fine other folks others who have replied.

Wombats are no problem at all to us here. In fact they are awesome critters. ;)

Glad to find someone that enjoys our Aussie humor. Look forward to meeting you sometime.

288mqgz.png