Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Order Of Character Selection: Archetypes, Races, And Classes

I wonder if we’ve all been lulled into a simple association game that limits our understanding of the range of archetypes, races, and classes available for our choosing in character creation. First and foremost, I think we require a clear definition of an “archetype”, followed by a clear sequence of character creation to help solidify our understanding of our choices.

I’ve had a bit of worry about this problem since the Fae Assassin was revealed, and I’ve thought on it for a few months. As most of you know, there are heated arguments over the Fae Assassin’s back story, her origin from a male-free matriarchal society. I think the larger point is that the Assassin was originally portrayed as a Fae character, gender-locked to female. I wish to submit this possible scenario: The character is first Fae and, by default, female. Her class is Assassin. Her backstory, image, etc. are specific to her race, not her class. Thus, a male Guinecean could also be an Assassin but never a Fae.

I confronted the issue more directly when I got involved in a RP game with fawne and company. She asked us to define a class and weapon, and I chose a Druid with a bow as my selection. A little way into the story, I realized that I was missing crucial information about my character, namely these essential qualities: What is her race? The profile of the Druid shows a Dryad’ish female along with the base stats of the Druid class. However, as I see it, the character herself is first a Dryad, second female, and only third a Druid. Does my history as a Druid dictate abilities first, or does my cultural identity as a Dryad affect those abilities first?

My question then becomes this: In what order are character traits selected? Is it first by gender and then by race, class, etc? Or is it first by race, then class, etc? Or is it first by class, then race, then gender if applicable? I guess I’d like to see a sequential series of screenshots of the character selection process to help me answer these questions. My personal points of reference yield a variety of orders of character creation processes, but usually with gender as the first selection. However, in Crowfall, that makes no sense due to the gender lock on some characters. Clarification, please?

This line of mental noodling leads me to yet another set of questions as I plan my 3rd character in Crowfall:

I know my Confessor has a female gender option. Yay! However, must she be a fire-type character? Does she have the choice of a different race from that portrayed in the iinfo drop profile? So many questions now, and I haven’t even approached those related to the minotaur and the centauress, and maybe a murder deer. So many choices!

My essential question: What is the order of character selection in Crowfall?

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Archetype is a race/class combo... i.e. the archetype is what you pick in order to pick your race and class.   This is a long post for a pretty clear concept.

Adall, HamletDynamic and cash already answered well, just adding a few link for more info :    Character Progression Video :     From the Character & Advancement FAQ :   1. How does ch

I'M NOT A MATHEMAGICIAN

Adall, HamletDynamic and cash already answered well, just adding a few link for more info : 

Character Progression Video :

characterthumb.jpg

136522222c5cf55a3f0d5b990799e7df_origina

From the Character & Advancement FAQ :

1. How does character creation work?

You start the Character Creation with a set number of creation points. Then, you pick an “Archetype” class –a race/class combo – from an initial set of options. Each Archetype has a point cost. That cost varies depending on the base attributes and skills of that Archetype. For example, Centaurs have a higher starting Strength, so they are more expensive. This means they have less (fewer) points left over to spend on Advantages and Disadvantages.

Advantages and Disadvantages are elements that further customize your character. They represent specific talents, traits or backstory elements that change your character in unique ways.

For example: “Eagle Eye” might give you an increase to accuracy with ranged weapons. “Dim-witted” might lower your Intellect, but give you points that you can send to further increase your Strength.

Advantages cost you points, disadvantages give you additional points to spend. There is a limit to the number of Advantages and Disadvantages you can start with. 

2. Are the Archetypes customizable beyond character creation?

Yes. Once in the game, you must raise your skills to qualify for a Promotion class. This allows you to differentiate yourself (pretty dramatically) from your base Archetype.

Additionally, there are also Disciplines which can be learned to gain access to addition skills, weapon styles, powers and crafting recipes. For example, the “Vampyre” Discipline allows enhanced combat abilities at night. The “Bounty Hunter” Discipline gives you additional skills and power that are helpful when hunting other players.

3. Are the archetypes gender locked? Can I only play a male Knight, or a female Dryad?

Some of the archetypes are locked to a particular gender, but most are not. As a general rule, humanoid characters can be played in either gender, and non-humanoids (i.e. the “monster races”) are locked to a single gender. (Often for specific lore reasons. Those not excluded by lore may be added in the future)

Character progression update on Kickstarter : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/posts/1164637

Archetype is a race/class combo... i.e. the archetype is what you pick in order to pick your race and class.

This is a long post for a pretty clear concept.

Wait, I thought Race was a Class/Archetype combo.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

1. You cannot choose your race.

2. Your chosen archetype will always be of a specific race.

3. Some archetypes allow you to choose a gender. Some are gender locked. (Forgemaster/Fae. Possibly Minotaur?)

Lol at the last 5 comments. Now ya'll are just getting confused.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Archetype = Class(Race)^3

I'M NOT A MATHEMAGICIAN

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

1. You cannot choose your race.

2. Your chosen archetype will always be of a specific race.

3. Some archetypes allow you to choose a gender. Some are gender locked. (Forgemaster/Fae. Possibly Minotaur?)

Think you're getting caught up in semantics and technicalities. When you pick an Archetype you are picking BOTH the Class and Race. It being locked doesn't really make it less of a choice, just makes the choice combined.