Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

War Stories

As mentioned earlier this week, we’ll be doing game-related updates on Tuesdays and Fridays with occasional messages from the founders on Wednesdays. Seeing as this is Friday, let’s get started with today’s update.

First up, here’s a first look at the concept art for the female champion. Unlike most of her contemporaries from other game worlds, you immediately get a sense of her towering presence and gargantuan strength, a true warrior. The guarded glare radiating from beneath her helm tells you she's not to be trifled with and could mow you down like grass. We’re really pleased with the way our Art team brought the vision to life. 

Crowfall_FemaleChampionConcept.jpg

Next up, here’s a little video we put together when some old friends stopped by to congratulate us on the success of the Kickstarter and to reminisce about the Shadowbane glory days. We wanted to help those who have only played themepark-style MMOs gain a greater understanding of what online life can be like when you go off the rails.  These 'war stories' will give our future players some idea of the excitement they can expect when they enter the world of Crowfall!

Joe Madureira--aka Joe Mad, renowned comic book artist and game designer—and his brother Steve, an artist in his own right and Joe’s co-founder at Airship Syndicate, explain why Shadowbane remains their favorite MMO of all time and why they are looking forward to Crowfall. Also featured is Sean “Ashen Temper” Dahlberg, Shadowbane community manager and live team designer, who said, “Shadowbane gave you a way to have these dynamics with other players, where the world changed based off of those,” something that is at the very heart of what we’re shooting for here with Crowfall.

“When I heard Crowfall was sort of the spiritual successor to Shadowbane and had a lot of the same creative team behind it I was like ‘Yes, finally!’” said Joe. “I didn't honestly think we'd ever get another one, so I feel like if it's in that spirit, I'm totally on board and I can't wait to play it.” 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I spy with my little eye... pompous guinea pigs.

I liked this, but how exactly is this a "game-related" update?

It's a picture of concept art and a video talking about old memories.

I'd say it has to do with hammering in the idea of a community driven game for those that haven't played anything like Shadowbane and can't fathom such a thing (which is basically what JTodd said at the beginning of the video). Besides we have a very long time to go.

Edited by Hax

I think the team is still in catch up mode from all the data they dropped on us during the Kickstarter.  They committed to giving us a fix two days a week so they are getting in the habit of updating but need a little more time to flesh out warmth/hunger.  In a recent video they identified a short fall that newer players where having a hard time understanding the concepts behind a game like this because we don't have many examples in the market place.  So take this for what it is, a short clip that's easy to watch for someone who doesn't know anything about the project but you want to entice them to do a little more research.  They where nice enough to keep it to 3 mins because the data from Kickstarter indicated the intro video there was too long.

Edited by Khron

Instead of two 'like' buttons can we have a 'like' button and a 'holy smokes' button, or a 'my chin is on the ground excuse me while I fix that' button?

This is pretty amazing, and by pretty amazing I mean excuse me while I try to patch this holy my lower jaw made in my desk.

I still worry that this game won't bring back enough of that Shadowbane magic that attracted me here in the first place.  The more they talk about Shadowbane the more faith I have that this game can bring some of that magic back.  Those memories are very important to the future of this game in my opinion.

IhhQKY6.gif

She looks badass!

I guess the feminists got their archetype now  :rolleyes:

Feminist nothing son. I just want to look like a badass and I'm so super happy to have the means by which to do that now that there are no words, only Freddie Mercury, to express my joy.

c8e5137da730501fc436416ea64d8f55000dd563

Wow this Giant Champion female is perfect I think, it really shows all the fury, strength and brutality incarnated in a female body.

I really love those Stories! Nice to listen to these people who explain how it was in Shadowbane, really enlightening for us who haven't played the game. I'm excited to know that all this would eventually be possible in Crowfall too.  :)

Not sure if the small font size for Crowfall in the OP was intended, but I find it looks weird.

REnuCFs.png

Edited by courant101

I think Khron hit the nail on the head.  As someone who never played Shadowbane I don't have a good reference point for the experiences in the game that have made some folks here on the board call it their bestest game evah.  This video adds another little plank to the bridge between PvP players and people that see a PvP centric game and wonder where the fun is in it.  The sense of community that was developed in SB is pretty clear to me after watching this video.

In unrelated news, the lil piggies concept art in the background is hysterical. 

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I think the team is still in catch up mode from all the data they dropped on us during the Kickstarter.  They committed to giving us a fix two days a week so they are getting in the habit of updating but need a little more time to flesh out warmth/hunger.  In a recent video they identified a short fall that newer players where having a hard time understanding the concepts behind a game like this because we don't have many examples in the market place.  So take this for what it is, a short clip that's easy to watch for someone who doesn't know anything about the project but you want to entice them to do a little more research.  They where nice enough to keep it to 3 mins because the data from Kickstarter indicated the intro video there was too long.

Can't say I'm happy with today's update, but I guess it can't be helped.  They don't have a lot of content ready to show yet it seems.

I don't think people that haven't played a game similar to what Crowfall is aiming for (No rules, losers drool) will ever understand until they actually play a game like it.  I've never seen one of these guys convert from blind to curious, they are pretty stubborn.

I'm dying for updates on actual mechanics and lore!  Time to find a hobby to distract myself for the time being.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.