Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

War Stories

I am always amazed, that after all this time, the SB community remains so close.  Their game obviously created not just a close community but real life friendships.   Friendships that have endured, despite not even having a game to play. From what I can tell, they just didn't care about the game, they cared about each other. How rare is that, especially in today's world?   If we can have even a quarter of what they had in SB we will all be extremely lucky here in CF.

I want MOAR war stories!!

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I've never played ShadowBane, which I very much regret now, but these "War Stories" are indeed very awesome to listen to.

Reminds me of the Eve version of war stories. Always awesome to listen to or read!

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Wow, the concept art for the female champion looks awesome. Good job!

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

The Female champ looks great! 

I hope ACE picked up on how many of those SB memories revolved around conflict in and around the cities, and I hope they design the campaign cities as well as the EKs accordingly with that in mind. ;)

Edited by tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

I didn't quite like the video in that I don't feel they quite captured the magic of what made shadowbane good and thus Crowfall great. But I guess I am speaking from an inside perspective which is always overpowering.

Cake baking in Shadowbane confirmed.

I imagine what made Shadowbane so memorable is different for various sets of people. For me it was the social aspect of things... the political intrigue, the alliances, the backstabbing, the friends, the in-game lore (such as the Feature Character System). While you say you don't feel it was captured, what do you think was missing? What made Shadowbane so great for you?

Edited by ashentemper

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!

Love the art again!

LOL@Joe Mad.  Very awesome that they're fans of Shadowbane, though my local comic store still gets people showing up asking when the next issue of Battlechasers is coming out.  His style has a lot of energy and and life to it, always nice to see his work on the shelves!

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I imagine what made Shadowbane so memorable is different for various sets of people. For me it was the social aspect of things... the political intrigue, the alliances, the backstabbing, the friends, the in-game lore (such as the Feature Character System). While you say you don't feel it was captured, what do you think was missing? What made Shadowbane so great for you?

Maybe it is because for us that was normal and not the anomaly. Shadowbane was my first mmorpg i started playing it in the 2006 when it was already f2p (my Internet was horrible before so no way to play any online game). If a f2p game was so good for costumization, so full of option for a player to change the world with his effort, so full of things to do in and outside the game (on the forum with forumbane), with the opportunity to meet people from every part of the world and play with them, fight togheter with them even if they had the sun outside their window and i was in the middle of the night, with a deep politic played both in game and on the forum, with alliances, friendship, betrayal that could happen every minutes i was thinking that was just normal and for sure every p2p game would had been really much better in every aspect. In the summer of the 2009 i realized that i was completely wrong, tried every pvp game on the market since them and i never found the things that i loved in Shadowbane and that i was thinking that were just normal for an online PVP game. So maybe many for us are still there in the 2009 still thinking that what we had was normal and not a privilege

Like i wrote some weeks ago I want to believe that Crowfall will make me feel like when i was playing Shadowbane in the 2006

PS For my story in Shadowbane i was one of the most hated player and i was fighting against the 99,99% of the forum on Ubi but still i will never trade what i had in Shadowbane (even the hate tell, the hate message on the forum and things like that) with any of the game that are around today and that were around after Ubi shut down Shadowbane

Edited by cappaspada

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

Maybe it is because for us that was normal and not the anomaly. Shadowbane was my first mmorpg i started playing it in the 2006 when it was already f2p (my Internet was horrible before so no way to play any online game). If a f2p game was so good for costumization, so full of option for a player to change the world with his effort, so full of things to do in and outside the game (on the forum with forumbane), with the opportunity to meet people from every part of the world and play with them, fight togheter with them even if they had the sun outside their window and i was in the middle of the night, with a deep politic played both in game and on the forum, with alliances, friendship, betrayal that could happen every minutes i was thinking that was just normal and for sure every p2p game would had been really much better in every aspect. In the summer of the 2009 i realized that i was completely wrong, tried every pvp game on the market since them and i never found the things that i loved in Shadowbane and that i was thinking that were just normal for an online PVP game. So maybe many for us are still there in the 2009 still thinking that what we had was normal and not a privilege

Like i wrote some weeks ago I want to believe that Crowfall will make me feel like when i was playing Shadowbane in the 2006

PS For my story in Shadowbane i was one of the most hated player and i was fighting against the 99,99% of the forum on Ubi but still i will never trade what i had in Shadowbane (even the hate tell, the hate message on the forum and things like that) with any of the game that are around today and that were around after Ubi shut down Shadowbane

Yeah, when I started working on Shadowbane, the only things I had played (MMO-wise) was Ultima Online and Everquest (I did play DAOC while working on SB, though and a few other MMOs). Around that time there was Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online and I believe Eve launched shortly after SB. But everyone was looking at making their own MMO. Sure, some of the RPG elements were similar but there was a lot of differences between them, too.

One of the greatest things for the industry was also one of the worst (imo) - WoW. Great in that they made a fantastic, highly polished product that really brought a lot of attention to the MMO genre. The downside is most publishers just wanted WoW 1.2. They wanted something that would attract millions of players and make even more money and the idea most of them was to cookie-cutter what WoW was. In the long run, I think WoW will have done (a lot) more good than harm but there was a good span of time where everyone just wanted WoW "but different" and that was the direction a lot of developers were given.

The most hated on the forums, huh? That is some bold talk! I was sad to see it shut down after I left (but, sadly, it wasn't a surprise).

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!

Lovely artwork,bet thats how Xena the warrior princess is like on her period

Puts mental note next to Tipsy's name -  "12 years old and still larnin' about them icky gurlz".

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Puts mental note next to Tipsy's name -  "12 years old and still larnin' about them icky gurlz".

I had the same impression.  I thought... did he actually GO there?

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I had the same impression.  I thought... did he actually GO there?

I just assumed he were slightly drunk.

He is called "Tipsy" after all.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Yeah, when I started working on Shadowbane, the only things I had played (MMO-wise) was Ultima Online and Everquest (I did play DAOC while working on SB, though and a few other MMOs). Around that time there was Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online and I believe Eve launched shortly after SB. But everyone was looking at making their own MMO. Sure, some of the RPG elements were similar but there was a lot of differences between them, too.

One of the greatest things for the industry was also one of the worst (imo) - WoW. Great in that they made a fantastic, highly polished product that really brought a lot of attention to the MMO genre. The downside is most publishers just wanted WoW 1.2. They wanted something that would attract millions of players and make even more money and the idea most of them was to cookie-cutter what WoW was. In the long run, I think WoW will have done (a lot) more good than harm but there was a good span of time where everyone just wanted WoW "but different" and that was the direction a lot of developers were given.

The most hated on the forums, huh? That is some bold talk! I was sad to see it shut down after I left (but, sadly, it wasn't a surprise).

The forums.  Forumbane!     Was that part planned?  Did ya'll know it would turn into a part of the game that was as much a part of the game as the mechanics themselves?  I think some are still playing it today :)

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"