Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fastcamcj

Sieging Only At Certain Times

So from what i understand we will only be able to siege each others cites at certain times of the day. Is there a reason for this, i understand how they dont want players sieging cities at 4:00am when none of the opposing players are only, but what about players ho wont be able to participate in any siege times. I think they should just let us attack each others cities whenever we feel like it, but maybe that wouldn't work out so well.

That's a toughie. Even if you just allowed 24/7 sieging, you can't siege by yourself. So, if you get on at 7 every night, but no one else is EVER sieging at 7 (because most of the active players get on at 5, or 9, or 11, etc.), then you're still basically never going to get to siege a city.

BUT, if they're going to go the window-of-opportunity route, then maybe they can have a lot of them? 4 per day or something? That way, at least different groups of people would have a siege time, while people who play like 12 hours a day would still get multiple opportunities to siege, rather than just one, but wouldn't get to siege every 10 minutes just because they're online so much. *shrug*

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

So from what i understand we will only be able to siege each others cites at certain times of the day.

As far as I know, the developers have stated that timers / city protection could be used in Bloodstone campaign, which isn't one of the 4 announced rulesets but could rather be a kind of sub-type of Dregs or The Shadow. I don't know if they plan to use these mechanics for other rulesets, but in any case they will certainly be tested over and over again to balance them correctly.

Edited by courant101

I believe Courant101 is correct. This window thing was pitched for bloodstone campaigns but I think they're still working out how they want to do sieges in other campaigns .

mael4.jpg

Alright guys, thanks for the input, i guess i misunderstood. I just dont like how it take a little bit away from the sandbox feel.

That's a toughie. Even if you just allowed 24/7 sieging, you can't siege by yourself. So, if you get on at 7 every night, but no one else is EVER sieging at 7 (because most of the active players get on at 5, or 9, or 11, etc.), then you're still basically never going to get to siege a city.

BUT, if they're going to go the window-of-opportunity route, then maybe they can have a lot of them? 4 per day or something? That way, at least different groups of people would have a siege time, while people who play like 12 hours a day would still get multiple opportunities to siege, rather than just one, but wouldn't get to siege every 10 minutes just because they're online so much. *shrug*

I like this idea, perhaps they could have two 4-6 hour siege windows per day.

So from what i understand we will only be able to siege each others cites at certain times of the day. Is there a reason for this, i understand how they dont want players sieging cities at 4:00am when none of the opposing players are only, but what about players ho wont be able to participate in any siege times. I think they should just let us attack each others cities whenever we feel like it, but maybe that wouldn't work out so well.

Yeah this is tricky. Here's the common ways this is done, and none of them are perfect.

1.Free for all. Common in DAOC clones and any game where the faction defends instead of the guild, because the show must go on.

The good part of this is it's spontaneous, constant action and vigilance. The bad part is it's meaningless, you won't hold anything overnight unless your alliance is half Singaporeans, Australians, and NEET's, unless its summer, in which case you add kids into that.

2. Lead time. The Darkfall system. You declare a siege, it goes live 22 or 24 or whatever hours after it's declared.

The good part of this is you can get a real fight out of it. The bad part is 22 hours after 5am on a Monday is 3am on a Tuesday, meaning the side with the most college Humanities majors and kids during the summer wins.

Darkfall eventually patched this so you could buy a certain amount of safe time per day, and automatic safe time after a siege concludes. It works-ish?

3. Siege windows. Albion uses this, among other games. Basically every holding has a preset time(s) per day that it can be vulnerable. Usually there's some notice like the Lead Time system. The good part is it's predictable. The bad part is any way you design these windows is going to favor one side or another, and it lets people log on like a few hours a week and still hold important territory, bogging the game down for people who do play.

4. Defender sets the siege timer. Like the Lead Time system, except when the attacker declares the siege, they declare it for a window of time, and the defender sets the time it actually goes vulnerable. I haven't played Shadowbane since like 2003 but I recall them using this one. The good is you get the best possible fight for every holding. The bad is it makes it very hard for the attacker, which is cool when holdings are supposed to rarely change hands, but very bad if it's part of a campaign. Personally I think this is the best of the four if players are building their own holdings.

Edited by hexen

Play some rust for the time being. I dont get why theres so much hate on this game, but itll give you a feel for 24/7 vulnerability. Makes me start to think like a nomad. One mega fortress will get raided when you sleep/work, but 10 caches across the server might survive.

nap8S2r.pnghttp://youtube.com/multimegawatts subscribe for Crowfall videos!

2. Lead time. The Darkfall system. You declare a siege, it goes live 22 or 24 or whatever hours after it's declared.

The good part of this is you can get a real fight out of it. The bad part is 22 hours after 5am on a Monday is 3am on a Tuesday, meaning the side with the most college Humanities majors and kids during the summer wins.

Darkfall eventually patched this so you could buy a certain amount of safe time per day, and automatic safe time after a siege concludes. It works-ish?

Ask SUN if it worked ;)

they self-sieged for months to have that protection on their holdings.

4. Defender sets the siege timer. Like the Lead Time system, except when the attacker declares the siege, they declare it for a window of time, and the defender sets the time it actually goes vulnerable. I haven't played Shadowbane since like 2003 but I recall them using this one. The good is you get the best possible fight for every holding. The bad is it makes it very hard for the attacker, which is cool when holdings are supposed to rarely change hands, but very bad if it's part of a campaign. Personally I think this is the best of the four if players are building their own holdings.

Agree.

The attacker decides what day the siege goes live and the defender decides what time it goes live.

SB used additional time windows, so you couldn't set the time to the most abstruse possible. *cough* chinese *cough*