Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inasyah

Merchant

Everyone is talking about the crafting and that it is viable to only craft in this game.

My question is, is it  viable to only play as a merchant, buying things from some players cheap and selling it to other players more expensive, living from the margin.

I liked that about the last game I played (Guild Wars I - I loved it. And hated it in GW II because  there is an auction house, destroying this playstyle completely - not the trading, but the player interactive and the fun about negotiating), and did it around 70-80% of the playtime back then.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

My question is, is it  viable to only play as a merchant, buying things from some players cheap and selling it to other players more expensive, living from the margin.

yes it is.

players will be able to sell resources to each other, so you could definitely sell high and buy low. 

I certainly hope so!

For the record I quite liked GW2's system, it was very well polished and nicely featured... it's problem was that it didn't allow you to sell any of the high-level gear or resources which crushed any reason to trade. 

Edited by M0rdred

there will always be something like a merchant,even with AHs in place the ppl who spend their time speculating on price changes in the AHs are also merchant,the AH is nothing else than the stock market of modern days.

but we know there is no AH and we know that there will be caravans,so i suppose people who focus on logistics(better caravans,advantages that increases inventory capacity and so on) will most probably become merchants

Edited by kampfbock

I'd really love to see some players becoming well-known  merchant/crafter/warrior, so I do hope this is possible.

As a futur mercenary Centaur, I would quickly become one of your best client ;)

hmm sorry double post, I had some problem with the forum.  I don't see how to delete this post

Edited by Vaalac

there will always be something like a merchant,even with AHs in place the ppl who spend their time speculating on price changes in the AHs are also merchant,the AH is nothing else than the stock market of modern days.

but we know there is no AH and we know that there will be caravans,so i suppose people who focus on logistics(better caravans,advantages that increases inventory capacity and so on) will most probably become merchants

This is true, but the difference between an AH and face to face  trading is, that with the one everyone knows the exact price, lowest seller sells, highest bit gets the buy, but with the other one, there are no set prices only vague onces over time and the margin is bigger.

No AH lets my heart beat higher.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

This is true, but the difference between an AH and face to face  trading is, that with the one everyone knows the exact price, lowest seller sells, highest bit gets the buy, but with the other one, there are no set prices only vague onces over time and the margin is bigger.

No AH lets my heart beat higher.

well then let me inform you that i plan to create a player driven AH^^

There will not be a central auction house. There will be individual vendor stands with unattended merchant thralls.

On hard faction campaigns, you will probably only be able to trade within your faction, and should be hesitant to trade outside your faction even if allowed. On GvG campaigns you should be even more hesitant to trade outside your alliance except as authorized by leadership. Merchanting as a career is primarily an EK lifestyle, most likely.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

On hard faction campaigns, you will probably only be able to trade within your faction, and should be hesitant to trade outside your faction even if allowed. On GvG campaigns you should be even more hesitant to trade outside your alliance except as authorized by leadership. Merchanting as a career is primarily an EK lifestyle, most likely.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Campaigns will be the primary place to trade. Between enemies it wouldn't be allowed by guild leadership, of course. You wont be at war with everyone all the time, and you will want an outlay for your surplus and a way to acquire things you lack.

I am guessing that the only viable trade in the very beginning of the game will be as a "Harvester" since it is hard to trade when you don't have raw resources to work on to begin with.

Later on, many more trade professions might become viable.  If you want to become a sucessful business man in this game, you are going to have to work for it.

For some reason there are many players that think that they can jsut chill and craft in the EK without having to enter the Campaigns, which is not possible to begin with.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

I'm hoping there's more to harvesting than simply finding stuff.  Ice Harvesting in Eve Online comes to mind, and I did so love doing that before they reduced the cycle times.  It used to be that an Ice Harvester II had a base cycle time of 450 seconds, with max skills, implants, and a max skilled fleet booster in an Orca, you could reduce that to around 117 seconds.

To focus on one thing to that degree SHOULD give appropriate bonuses, at the cost of not being able to fight one's way out of a paper bag.  In cases like that, perhaps the merchant could look at providing limited defense to a harvester in exchange for a cut of their haul, or first buy option at a set price on anything they gather.  Personally I'm planning to find a guild that likes strange little hermit Frostweaving elves who mutter about their precious all day to protect me while I gather my little heart out.  :D

The only limitations are what you can think up when it comes to interacting with other players.  I like the idea of no centralised AH or market, and having to rely on word of mouth to find the best buyer for my stuff.

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

With the whole "no auction house" thing in place, and players having to "physically" (virtually) visit other players to trade, I kind of hope the options for shops/stalls support this as much as possible. For example, it'd be nice to be able to have display cases on the front of your shop, so that people strolling by could see "Hey, that guy sells oodles of weapons!", or "Hey, that guy sells only resources!", etc.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I hope there wont be an auction house per say, I hope there will be a place you can put your name on and say "I want to buy this this and this contact me" similar to a bounty board (which on it´s own is great idea) but an AH can limit player interaction that I so do want.

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

I'm given to understand you can set a merchant to sell anything in exchange for anything else.  There'll be something small and rare that will become the general 'currency' I suspect, but it's going to be a barter system.  No gold coins in an unlimited pouch, per se.

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...