Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaming Laptop

Abel

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new gaming machine.  I know a desktop is ideal but that is not really a realistic option for me or my lifestyle, so I'd like to get a fairly high powered laptop.  Currently, the only functional computer I have is my Macbook for school/work which is obviously not an option for any level of gaming.  Anyway, I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world so if anyone has any suggestion on what I should shoot for as far as a processor, graphics card, and memory is concerned, I'd be very appreciative.  

As far as my budget goes, I don't want to go too crazy; nothing over $2k and would prefer to be around $1,500.  A friend of mine suggested an Alienware 15 but I know AW has a reputation for being overpriced.  I did give it a quick look though and it seemed decent value for the price but I'm very unsure about their products.

Hopefully I can get some help and thank you in advance to anyone who can offer some. 

Edited by Abel

I've gone over an ideal gaming laptop brand in this thread:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5830-alienware-vs-build-my-own/

Might be worth looking over since there were a few websites to look at for current deals.

Not true. My wife likes to game, and she refuses to switch to a desktop for whatever reason...so I've learned to accommodate in the upgrade department so that I'm not just tossing money away every year.

Clevo/Sager laptops (I recommend xoticpc.com) are completely upgradeable, even the GPU and it's quite easy. Usually the markup from desktop to swappable mobile variant carries a 10-15% additional pricetag, so a 970GTX is ~$350, the 970M would be around $400. It just takes slightly more knowledge to make it happen in comparison to a desktop build.

If you are DEADSET on a laptop, that is the way to go. But I highly, highly recommend a desktop build. When you build your own, you are able to keep ahead of the technological curve and only have to upgrade components as necessary. This means you either get it cheaper or you can use the money difference to afford better.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I also want to say that if you're buying it solely for this game, I would wait as long as possible before you do. Bigger and better come out frequently, so if you can wait until a month or two before launch, and you're wanting to do it on a budget...that will be the ideal situation.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Alienware has become alot more competitive with their laptop pricing nowadays, and being able to hook up an external videocard slot (but thats 300$) makes it much more diverse for portable/desktop gaming scenarios. But yeah, waiting until you want to play something is a great idea, fancy new toys become outdated every week.

nap8S2r.pnghttp://youtube.com/multimegawatts subscribe for Crowfall videos!

Any thoughts on Digital Storm?  Been hearing some good things about this company over the course of my research.