Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mortalman

A Permanent Ffa Full Loot Server?

So I'm talking to some clan mates of mine about Crowfall, and one of them brought up the fact that they will not play Crowfall because he says the permanent world is just a showcase of trophies you win from playing Campaigns.  Is this true?

Will Crowfall have permanent free for all, full loot, open pvp servers?  Will you be able to "play" in these servers 100% of the time?  Would I be able to harvest all types of raw materials in this type of server?  Would it be possible to play on one permanent server and never leave it with no real penalties?

Lets say my clan and I want to engage in a campaign, but we have a base to protect on a permanent server.  Can we leave a campaign, defend our permanent server base (city, castle, fort, etc)  and then go back to the campaign any time we want?

Here's what I think I understood :

There will be PvP on what you call the "permanent server", but only when chosen (you decide with another kingdom what will be the gain to win from the fight). So I don't think you can be attacked when you're not here.

You will only find "free for all/full loot/ open pvp" rules in campaigns. Which is not really a problem since a campaign can last 1/3/6 months or even one year.

They're still discussing the penalty for leaving a campaign. But I think they will make you "not win anything" if you leave the campaign early, so it would be a bad idea to leave it just like that. 

So no, except if you stays in your kingdom only buying ressource with money you have from IdontKnowWhere you wont be able to stay 100% of the time on a "permanent" server (which don't follow the rules you want anyway).

NB : It seems that each kingdom can have its own set of rule. So you may probably say "my Kingdom is open pvp full loot all the time" but it wouldn't really be interesting.

Here's what I think I understood :

There will be PvP on what you call the "permanent server", but only when chosen (you decide with another kingdom what will be the gain to win from the fight). So I don't think you can be attacked when you're not here.

You will only find "free for all/full loot/ open pvp" rules in campaigns. Which is not really a problem since a campaign can last 1/3/6 months or even one year.

They're still discussing the penalty for leaving a campaign. But I think they will make you "not win anything" if you leave the campaign early, so it would be a bad idea to leave it just like that. 

So no, except if you stays in your kingdom only buying ressource with money you have from IdontKnowWhere you wont be able to stay 100% of the time on a "permanent" server (which don't follow the rules you want anyway).

NB : It seems that each kingdom can have its own set of rule. So you may probably say "my Kingdom is open pvp full loot all the time" but it wouldn't really be interesting.

Yes but these private "kingdoms" will not have resources to gather.  So in effect they can not be playable permanent pvp servers.  

This is what I read in a FAQ

"

11. Are any of the Worlds permanent?

Yes. The Crowfall universe is divided into “rings” or “bands” of Worlds.Each band contains multiple worlds that have a common ruleset, running in parallel. Within each Band, new worlds will be constantly appearing (and disappearing, whenever a Campaign ends).

The outer ring is called “The Eternal Kingdoms” and these Worlds are permanent. They are also player owned and player-managed. Typically, we expect them to act as places for players to gather between Campaigns. They are still dynamic – meaning that you can build fortifications and structures on these worlds -- but they don’t have a victory condition and they never go away. They are more like traditional MMO servers.

"

I'm not sure but Dregs looks like it could be a permanent full loot open pvp server?

I would think there would be more than enough demand for a permanent full loot open pvp server to host one.  

Will Crowfall have permanent free for all, full loot, open pvp servers?  Will you be able to "play" in these servers 100% of the time?  Would I be able to harvest all types of raw materials in this type of server?  Would it be possible to play on one permanent server and never leave it with no real penalties?

If you want a permanent campaign, that will not occur. The core structure of Crowfall are the dying worlds and the "reboot" of them.

Lets say my clan and I want to engage in a campaign, but we have a base to protect on a permanent server.  Can we leave a campaign, defend our permanent server base (city, castle, fort, etc)  and then go back to the campaign any time we want?

The only permanent environment are the Eternal Kingdoms and there's no siege mechanics in place for it (until now). However, you can go to EK at anytime, you character will be a different "template" from your campaign character, you'll have to login/logout between them.

I'm not sure but Dregs looks like it could be a permanent full loot open pvp server?

I would think there would be more than enough demand for a permanent full loot open pvp server to host one.  

There are some vídeos and interviews where ACE explains why the  choice to not adopt permanent worlds, take a look over here

With only poison in my veins!

cm5oDMm.png

I really don't think so. you seems to believe that you will spent most of your time in the Eternals Kingdoms, but you won't. You will be (probably) able to play in ffa/full loot/open pvp as much as you want in the campaigns (I'd be surprise if this kind of campaign was not always present).

We don't know that much about the Eternal Kingdoms, we know that there will be some Pvp in it, but since each player will have its own Kingdom, on which he will have full control and will be able to make it private or public, I see it more like an instance (that you can extend of course, you can even make it a player's city if you have enough ressources and power) where you'll come after each campain to prepare the next one. 

I think you will be able to make some fight,but not in open pvp, not in full loot. I think it's more like a big instance, some kind of home for every players. But I may be mistaken.

One things if for certain, except from theses Kingdoms, there will be no permanent world.

The entire idea around this game is to break away from the permenance of other conquest PvP games (like Shadowbane) to help solve a problem of unseatable super powers.

It isn't going to happen, sorry.

One things if for certain, except from theses Kingdoms, there will be no permanent world.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone missed it.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3258-lets-talk-about-campaign-permanence/?p=80308

JTodd throwing around ideas discussing possible permanent campaigns. They aren't completely against the idea, and they want to make it work somehow. They just aren't sure it's going to work without some modifications (such as the two discussed in that thread). Shadowbane taught some lessons in this department. If you have permanent servers in a game like this, eventually you get superpowers (guilds) that go unchallenged basically forever. 

See ya in the Dregs, Uncle Bob.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

So I'm talking to some clan mates of mine about Crowfall, and one of them brought up the fact that they will not play Crowfall because he says the permanent world is just a showcase of trophies you win from playing Campaigns.  Is this true?

To me the idea of a permanent server sounds incredibly boring. There's no end-goal to work towards. And the dynamics and terrain never change. I'm constantly baffled by why people are so enamored with the idea.

From what I understand you'll be building outposts and garrisons IN the campaign world. So why is it so important to have one in a world that won't eventually end?

The EK cannot generate loot. However the Monarch can set the PvP rules (and I assume loot rules) and can declare war on another EK to have as permanent campaign for those involved as they are wiling to stomach. The issue being that it still takes resources from the temporary campaigns to replenish your EK (barring you completely dominating your opponent and taking more resources than you lose to destruction)

This is pretty close to true. While there's a little more to it than that, the EK's are absolutely NOT an ongoing conflict zone. There may be wars between EKs but only by mutual consent of both monarchs; otherwise, EKs are a lobby, a merchant/crafting zone, and a trophy case.

Permanent conflict zones are not part of the core design, for the specific reason that permanent conflict zones are susceptible to the "Uncle Bob" problem of permanent stasis once one faction attains a sufficiently dominant position. With that said, though, there is permanent conflict, because new campaigns are always starting as old ones end.

As Hax linked above, the devs are open to the idea of having "possibly permanent" campaigns, but those would only last as long as they remained dynamic and fun. ACE will not allow anyone to permanently win (or permanently lose) a server without ending that world shortly thereafter.

Your permanent base is always safe, so there's nothing to "protect" unless you're doing EKvsEK duels. With that said, a character who is assigned to a campaign can freely choose whether to log into his campaign or into the EKs- he just can't take anything back and forth with him when he does.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

NOTE: Some of what I will say has been stated by other members of the forums however I don't believe your questions were fully cleared up... here goes...

1. In short, the answer is no that's not all that they are. Longer answer, the permanent worlds CAN be trophy shows, however, you can do much more with them. Things range from, set them up for full pvp with loot for the winners (that the losers would have to give), set them up for pvp allowed but no loot, set up a sales area (for those interested in crafting/vending or creating the world these people want to sell on (YAY taxes! :P)) and even just creating a huge world for you and your friends to explore.

quick note: the EK does not generate loot of its own.

2. Short answer, Outside of your EK (Eternal Kingdom), no. Long answer, as stated above you could set up your EK this way (no confirmed "full loot" mechanic for EKs but I could see looting characters implemented). You could just play in your EK and never touch the campaigns but this would mostly be for people who are interested just in crafting or making the biggest EK to attract vendors. Combat wise, you're supposed to play in the campaigns primarily. The game is set up for people to head into the campaign worlds. If you're looking for large scale, back and forth PvP with strategy rather than "set up my skills so I go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7... and then I win" or " I have the largest army and a clan with $$$$ so I instantly and always win" (Uncle bob style) this is the game for you. Remember, you get to keep some or all of your loot within the campaigns once they end (assuming you win or aren't playing on the dregs) and your character does level up so there is some permanence. They just want to keep the game from turning into EVE Online, where literally nobody can do crap except the big megaclans and it's SUPER annoying and boring for new players/small clans.

3. You can hop back to your EK whenever you'd like (without your equipment and items from the campaign). So you could have an EK war and a campaign going at the same time but you will not be able to play multiple campaigns, and to be honest, they last so long and have so much within them, it would be a lot of work to do more than one.

4. Dregs are not permanent but you keep 100% of what you earn in the campaign IF you win. If you lose it's 0%. Again, none of the campaigns are permanent, but 1-6 months is about as long as most mmos let you go before giving you something that forces you to sell your stuff or make a huge upgrade anyway (a soft-reset) so I don't see why you'd need them to be permanent.

5. This is not the game they want (outside of the EK). As they have said many times, they are trying to make it as fun as possible for the people who like the idea of this kind of game, they are not going for player count. This game is to bring back old philosophies and mesh them with new and old ideas to create a whole new line of awesomeness! If your clan is, unfortunately, looking for another watered-down WoW *(which is killing clan systems btw) they may not like this game but if you like skill based games that add spice to the industry and support clan and individual play (assuming the devs deliver, which they have so far, and they are reputable so I don't see them failing in that) this game shouldn't dissapoint.

I honestly don't understand why it is so important to have garrisons that don't end and allow you to eternally farm (not fun in my opinion) when you can have excitement, intrigue, skill improvement, and a challenge. Too many mmos hold hands now, there's no challenge to them and so, they only allow for fun up to a point. After that point it begins to become a chore rather than a game.

All the information that I pulled from can be found in the FAQ

http://crowfall.com/#/faq

or the youtube site

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHVjXO-WdYHUIdxC8buCkzQ/videos

which I recommend going through before asking more questions because as Xedrox said most un-eloquently but truthfully, most of this is in the FAQ.

Another thing that may be cool good to watch are these two QAs they did during the last night of the kickstarter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDMixnyiv1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcigy2eD9Jw

and mmorpg.com (youtube: mmorpgcom) has some great informational interviews, although it can all be found in the FAQs and Crowfall's videos now I believe.

Hope this is helpful, if so please label this thread as answered :)

I don't like getting on answered threads that are listed as unanswered so I just try to leave a reminder.