Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forest

Limited Vs. Unlimited Ability Slots

Limited vs. Unlimited Ability Slots  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want limited or unlimited ability slots?

• I want limited ability slots.
    • I want unlimited ability slots.

Do you think Crowfall's ability slots should be limited to a few at any given time with players only being able to bind different abilities to them out of combat, such as in Guild Wars, or be unlimited at such as in World of Warcraft?

Edit: Made the distinction between abilities and ability slots more clear.

Edited by Forest

Most people have a problem with too many choices... and too few as well.  There needs to be a balance... like a ratio of abilities to usable slots.... e.g. 3:1.  

Personally, I'd rather see more ability chain combos than many single use abilities.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Most people have a problem with too many choices... and too few as well.  There needs to be a balance... like a ratio of abilities to usable slots.... e.g. 3:1.  

Personally, I'd rather see more ability chain combos than many single use abilities.

Yea that's me. I remember when I was playing WoW I was discouraged by all those icons I could have on my screen.

Already in LoL I have trouble to remember which button to hit for Hourglass.

Edit : changed my mind and going with unlimited. I can still place only 7-8 abilities in the bar if I want.

Edited by courant101

Slots are different than abilities themselves.  Either the Poll is mislabeled, or some of you have the amazing ability to fill up your UI and keybinds with a crazy number of abilities.

Guild Wars is perhaps a bad example of "limited" because it's VERY limited. I think limitations on abilities is a good idea, within reason. The Secret World's abilities work pretty well, at least the 7 active and 7 passive ability slot part of it. Limitations force decision making, which should be an important part of defining your role and customising your character the way you want them to be. 

Slots are different than abilities themselves.  Either the Poll is mislabeled, or some of you have the amazing ability to fill up your UI and keybinds with a crazy number of abilities.

Thank you for pointing that out, I'll edit the topic to be more clear.

I feel like someone will cry foul of something being unbalanced once we see all the possibilities of character-building that are in the game and demand more limitation.  But one of the things I enjoy about the MMOs I've played is having a decent-sized toolbox for my character to utilize; those are the games I tended to keep playing. 

I can see both sides of the coin, limited abililties makes it more challenging, but then there's the argument of "why have these abilities if I can't make use of them?"

wwsigcrowfall.jpg
                         ~For the Honor and Memory of Ahz Badaxe~

It's still misleading... because WoW is not "unlimited", GW (like Diablo 3) is too restrictive.  There is a balance, which typically should be no more than 3 bars... normal, Ctrl+, and Alt+.  All other slots can be for support items and other non-combat abilities.  Anything beyond that is overly excessive.

If I'm understanding the level-less skill-based with Discipline Runestone augmentation system properly, I wouldn't expect a player to ever have access to an overwhelming number of combat abilities.

So, if they use design to put a reasonable limit on the number of abilities available to a character at any given time then I think the character should be able to use them all.

Constraining the number available constrains the design space, too.  When you limit each character to a fixed number of ability slots that prevents you from designing an Archetype or Discipline that features a larger number of specialized or situational abilities.  It also discourages you from designing one that uses a smaller number of more general (or potent) abilities due to pressure (from players as well as from designer completionism) to "fill out the bar".

soli deo gloria

Devs have already posted that they want a middle ground between GW2 and WoW in terms of power availability. I agree with Nyt that 3 hotbars is a reasonable max, and I agree with buc0727 that the number of total powers available to a single character may not exceed that number. Especially if we assume that combat won't turn into War of the Item Clickies.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

What I despise is that artificial limiting of skills/binds by only giving people a limited number of slots/bars.

All customization and limiting should come from the archetype&disciplines.

If a discipline rune gives me Archery, then I should also be able to train all the archery powers. How high I can train them should be limited by the aforementioned combination. To be able to use them all, you also have to bring the equipment for it. No bow? Can't use that stuff.

Devs have already posted that they want a middle ground between GW2 and WoW in terms of power availability.

That sounds like a good ballpark to shoot for. Balancing the game around limited available powers is fine, as long as "limited abilities" isn't a euphemism for "console-level simplicity."

Until we know more about each archetypes role and actual abilities i dont think theres a reason to try to decide this yet.

Although, i did vote, i voted for unlimited because i dont want my skill ceiling and the reason i didnt outplay others, be due to the fact that what i can do with my character was limited because of bars, not because of my skill.

I personally hate requiring 4+ ability bars of 12 actions. It fuels homogenization of classes because there are only so many different abilities. When everyone can do everything, everyone starts feeling the same.

Swtor was a great example of the flaws in such a system. As a mercenary bounty hunter I had two copies of every base ability. One with a cool down, and one without. Also when every class has a checklist of a dozen abilities they "need" it ruins the uniqueness. I don't want every archetype to have stun, escape, single target burst, single target sustain, aoe, self heal, group buff, breakable cc, and snare.

I personally hate requiring 4+ ability bars of 12 actions. It fuels homogenization of classes because there are only so many different abilities. When everyone can do everything, everyone starts feeling the same.

Swtor was a great example of the flaws in such a system. As a mercenary bounty hunter I had two copies of every base ability. One with a cool down, and one without. Also when every class has a checklist of a dozen abilities they "need" it ruins the uniqueness. I don't want every archetype to have stun, escape, single target burst, single target sustain, aoe, self heal, group buff, breakable cc, and snare.

people keep coming back to that argument...

the flaw lies within lazy ability design, not with the number of abilities.

Read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Edited by freeze