Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would You Still Play If Voxels Flops?

Nazdar

From a design perspective, there's no question that Crowfall is innovative.

From a technology perspective, however, most features of Crowfall are not novel.  And that's okay.  Too many games focus excessively on a new technology, often sacrificing attention to good gameplay.

For this veteran team, most of the features will be riffs on stuff they've already done.  But in the case of voxels, this melding hasn't really been done before.  I don't think there's a serious risk - based on the snippets we've heard, it sounds like there is already good progress - but the integration of voxels is still possibly the riskiest technology being attempted.

So, my question is more hypothetical:

If, for whatever reason, the integration of voxels never takes flight, would you still play?

For me, I would.  My experience would diminish very little.

The elements I value most (politics/economy/compat) would still be innovative and fun.  The problem areas (building/destroying/digging) could be worked around.  If ACE had to make a tough choice to cut features, I'd probably be okay without voxels.

Your thoughts?

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

I think Voxel Farm is now part of Crowfall universe and there would be a lot of things to revise : Guinecean, digging to get to the mineral veins, wall destruction, ground holes in combats, etc.

There could always be some alternatives to VF I guess.

I would still play Crowfall, but dropping the voxels at this point is something inconceivable for me.

Edited by courant101

From a design perspective, there's no question that Crowfall is innovative.

From a technology perspective, however, most features of Crowfall are not novel.  And that's okay.  Too many games focus excessively on a new technology, often sacrificing attention to good gameplay.

For this veteran team, most of the features will be riffs on stuff they've already done.  But in the case of voxels, this melding hasn't really been done before.  I don't think there's a serious risk - based on the snippets we've heard, it sounds like there is already good progress - but the integration of voxels is still possibly the riskiest technology being attempted.

So, my question is more hypothetical:

If, for whatever reason, the integration of voxels never takes flight, would you still play?

For me, I would.  My experience would diminish very little.

The elements I value most (politics/economy/compat) would still be innovative and fun.  The problem areas (building/destroying/digging) could be worked around.  If ACE had to make a tough choice to cut features, I'd probably be okay without voxels.

Your thoughts?

In short, you don't have to be innovative to be good. You just have to be good.

I think a lot of people will undermine just how important voxels are in this game. If ACE don't implement it properly (I don't think they'll mess it up) then it could seriously affect siege gameplay, fortifications etc which WILL be a huge part of the game.

You could say "I don't care for the voxels", but they will affect your gameplay whether you like it or not.

Personally, I have faith ACE will deliver a good voxel based destruction/construction system. If not, it's not going to put me off the game and I don't think it will put anybody else off either.

But denying it'll be an important feature is kind of silly.

532c836f2a.png

Voxels should flop, bounce and roll and be affected by physics.

patch notes:

added bounce; changed effected to affected

Edited by jetah

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I'd play if voxels flopped as long as we still have some form of building. If we lose all building and placement of castles and houses, then we don't have a key portion of the "castle siege" (can you guess which part). Past that, the destruction and stuff is cool but isn't the selling point like landmark or something

I'm actually not a fan of voxels, and its probably the only thing I think is limiting the graphics option the game would have.

Voxels will create additional strain on your computer, instead of having just regular textures on the map.

The engine will not only have to render the surface textures, but also voxels below you, so you can dig a certain depth aswell without loading issues.

I agree with the sentiment of most in this thread.  Voxels are added fluff that I could do without.  If it did in fact speed up the development process I'd probably be more inclined to not see them in the game.

[@--(o.O)@]

To be honest, voxels is one of the things I'm most worried about so, yeah, wouldn't miss them at all, if it turns they won't be implemented in the end.

Edited by Gwalch

I'm actually not a fan of voxels, and its probably the only thing I think is limiting the graphics option the game would have.

Voxels will create additional strain on your computer, instead of having just regular textures on the map.

The engine will not only have to render the surface textures, but also voxels below you, so you can dig a certain depth aswell without loading issues.

I don't think it has to actually render anything until it is in view.  I think this is part of the deciding factor behind killing the planet at the end of a campaign.  I can, however, imagine quite a bit of lag toward the end, potentially, when quite a bit of the landscape is dug into, altered, and destroyed.

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

I'd be really disappointed if voxels didn't make it. I already put money on the game and would still play it. But how satisfied I'd be with it is another matter. It was one of the bigger selling points for me after all.

Also, if voxels didn't make it, would that also mean no dynamically generated worlds? Doesn't thewhole premise hinge on that? Aside from drastically reducing what we could do in these worlds, I'm not sure how optional this would even be.

If it did happen, I'd see it has taking away something very fundamental to the experience, making it much more limited and generic. Probably more so than replacing all crafting with npc vendors or importing combat straight out of WoW.

I don't think it has to actually render anything until it is in view.  I think this is part of the deciding factor behind killing the planet at the end of a campaign.  I can, however, imagine quite a bit of lag toward the end, potentially, when quite a bit of the landscape is dug into, altered, and destroyed.

Agreed, I guess they don't need to make our computer process all the sub-terrain voxels.

Also they discussed about terrain regeneration, which could help to avoid the map being full of holes.