Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just realized this was very much a fantasy game, and Shadowbane too.. But neither had Orcs, even with a wide selection of races.. I think this is a shame. A lot of people automatically think of orcs as very generic and common but they're almost always just some fodder race or enemies and RARELY a playable race, sort of like Goblins or Gnomes. There are HUNDREDS of fantasy MMO's with racial selection, and fewer than 10 that let you play as Orcs? In fact, all of the "non-pretty" races seem to be going extinct, replaced by furries, different color elves, and elven furries.

Is this just a bias against Orcs in general or do they have a place in the lore as mindless minions to slaughter by the millions, as is their typical horrible lot in life?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just realized this was very much a fantasy game, and Shadowbane too.. But neither had Orcs, even with a wide selection of races.. I think this is a shame. A lot of people automatically think of orcs a

Insects make glorious races.    The SW universe has some pretty cool races too though they tend to be more along the lines of a humanoid with an odd head and/or skin.    Let's hear it for Ithorians!

I'd hope the next race added is even more exotic than Minotaur and Centaur. Something really weird like spiders that can climb all over everything. Orcs won't draw much attention. I love Centaurs because they're an actual race; as in they have a distinct ability that other races don't have, rather than just another humanoid in different skin. More of that imo.

Edited by Hax

WHO's Orc Choppa was easily the most fun melee DPS character I've played in the last decade....and the dialogue was custard hilarious. I don't really see orcs in Crowfall though.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

no orcs? why no mermen, goblins, trolls, pandamen, spongemen, aelfborn, nephilim, aracoix, banshees, warlocks, witches, etc, etc, so on and so forth. gotta draw the line some where.

How about the fact that they're an established classic fantasy race with a fan following, are VERY widely used but almost never PLAYABLE? But lately all i see them doing is being fodder and its pretty damn unfair. Orcs Must Die is a three trilogy game by itself.

Clearly, we need a sexy Orc. Uh... I'll let you guys google that.

Yes... Yes the Orc Geisha.. now that sounds like an interesting class. ACE, get on it!

Edited by dwarfurious

WHO's Orc Choppa was easily the most fun melee DPS character I've played in the last decade....and the dialogue was custard hilarious. I don't really see orcs in Crowfall though.

Fun? that class was blah.. Now the black orc was a good time.. the Choppa just spam aoe attacks all day

Fun? that class was blah.. Now the black orc was a good time.. the Choppa just spam aoe attacks all day

There were poorly made socks choppa's and there were godly choppa's. I played a Marauder up until they were released, which was extremely fun too, but man ain't nobody got nothing on dropping off the ledge to land in front of the gate in a fort defend with dedicated healers and just clear out order.

I miss that game, wish they would of fixed it fast enough to have player retention.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

How about the fact that they're an established classic fantasy race with a fan following, are VERY widely used but almost never PLAYABLE? But lately all i see them doing is being fodder and its pretty damn unfair. Orcs Must Die is a three trilogy game by itself.

Clearly, we need a sexy Orc. Uh... I'll let you guys google that.

Yes... Yes the Orc Geisha.. now that sounds like an interesting class. ACE, get on it!

Orcs have only been the main focus of World of Warcraft for over 10 years now? How is that never playable? Orcs have been worked to death in MMOs.

I'd hope the next race added is even more exotic than Minotaur and Centaur. Something really weird like spiders that can climb all over everything. Orcs won't draw much attention. I love Centaurs because they're an actual race; as in they have a distinct ability that other races don't have, rather than just another humanoid in different skin. More of that imo.

Between Guinecan, Murdeer, Giants, Centaurs and the like, I really want more of this. I'm tired of playing Elves, Dwarves, and pink/yellow/blue/green humanoids. I want interesting varied races, not somewhat recolored humanoids.

Spidercreatures sound great. Birdpeople (Shadowbane had those), even monsterpeople would be great. I really want them to be interesting with this.

Orcs are great and all, but frankly overdone where there's room to try new things.

Orcs have only been the main focus of World of Warcraft for over 10 years now? How is that never playable? Orcs have been worked to death in MMOs.

WoW is ONE GAME. Thats part of the problem. Lets ignore the fact that WoW has more elves than GOD DAMN HUMANS. That BLOOD ELVES outnumber orcs and trolls COMBINED in the Horde. Sure. "orcs are done to death" while we already have Elves here and probably more than one kind. Elves have been more overdone than literally any fantasy trope. That is not a valid reason while elves exist. Elves probably outnumber orcs as a playable race 20 to 1. Even ArchLord, the game that was basically Orcs vs Humans MMO threw in Elves who probably outnumber Orcs.

Goblins are pretty popular in gaming too and there are maybe 5 MMO's were you can play as a Goblins.

Part of the fun is taking an existing popular race and adding your own twist, in Shadowbane/Crowfalls case my race, the Dwarves, are Stoneborn, they're still the dwarves i know and love but stonier. WoW orcs are the shamanistic/noble society, while Warhammers are just savage, while other worlds depict them as very industrial, while in Lineage they were practically noble

Edited by dwarfurious

WoW is ONE GAME. Thats part of the problem. Lets ignore the fact that WoW has more elves than GOD DAMN HUMANS. That BLOOD ELVES outnumber orcs and trolls COMBINED in the Horde. Sure. "orcs are done to death" while we already have Elves here and probably more than one kind. Elves have been more overdone than literally any fantasy trope. That is not a valid reason while elves exist. Elves probably outnumber orcs as a playable race 20 to 1. Even ArchLord, the game that was basically Orcs vs Humans MMO threw in Elves who probably outnumber Orcs.

Goblins are pretty popular in gaming too and there are maybe 5 MMO's were you can play as a Goblins.

Part of the fun is taking an existing popular race and adding your own twist, in Shadowbane/Crowfalls case my race, the Dwarves, are Stoneborn, they're still the dwarves i know and love but stonier. WoW orcs are the shamanistic/noble society, while Warhammers are just savage, while other worlds depict them as very industrial, while in Lineage they were practically noble

Given no game has ever come even close to WoW's base subscriber count it'd probably more accurate to call WoW the one game to rule them all. Regardless, the inclusion or exclusion of a fantasy trope race doesn't really add or subtract from the Mythos. Crowfall is taking a lot of pages from it's predecessor Shadowbane. In Shadowbane, Orcs were simply a fodder race. I imagine the design decision came from that. 

Given we already have 11 archetypes each with 3 promotion classes and an untold amount of discipline combinations I think we have enough customization for now. Also, if you're race focused CF might not be the best game. You can really choose a Race/Class combo. Archetypes are a combination of both.