Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dwarfurious

Why No Orcs?

I kinda hate the idea behind orcs. They are based on a fantasy series unlike any other race in the fantasy genre and although cool, seems off. Lord of the Rings is great and all but Minotaurs, Dragons, they are all based on stuff that dates back much further.

I won't be happy until Praying Mantisoids make it into the game. Plz ACE. plz.

Just wait for FTL Online. :)

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Pretty sure its my fault... I killed then ate them all in the last couple games... or its just because they needed something for an expansion latter down the road that everyone would want.

I kinda hate the idea behind orcs. They are based on a fantasy series unlike any other race in the fantasy genre and although cool, seems off. Lord of the Rings is great and all but Minotaurs, Dragons, they are all based on stuff that dates back much further.

Tolkien's concept of orcs was built on older concepts with roots going back at least to 1000AD with Beowulf and other folklore.  The concept at that time wasn't nearly as defined and also encompassed other things that we now consider completely separate such as ogres and goblins.

soli deo gloria

Tolkien's concept of orcs was built on older concepts with roots going back at least to 1000AD with Beowulf and other folklore.  The concept at that time wasn't nearly as defined and also encompassed other things that we now consider completely separate such as ogres and goblins.

Weren't Tolkien's orcs based on the goblin from European folklore? :huh:

No I completely understand I just don't get why "orcs" specifically a fictional creation from a single 20th century guy, became such a cult following in things like WoW, Elder Scrolls, board games, dungeons and dragons, etc. While ogres and goblins (which as you all mentioned are very similar) are also in those games, orcs seem to have become a stand alone aspect of fantasy that was completely based on a single guy's fanfiction of fantasy. Just for perspective, why are things like the Khajit or Whitewalkers not in all fantasies? Obviously its retorical, as hard as GoT or ES try, they will never reach the point of LoTR but still, why is it that orcs seemed to have become mainstream fantasy but any other fictional "fantasy" race/monster is locked to that franchise.

We already have 2 furred creatures (elk and guinea), fae, elves, cow-men, horse-men, stone-men and humies aplenty.

We seem to be good on fur and skin, and I imagine the stone-folk are happy... We do seem to be short on scales, slime and chitin though...

We need something small and cute that isn't male and isn't completely furry (although partially furry is acceptable as long as cute and female is the focus). It make sense IMO, especially since the only female archetypes so far are the standard stuff (although I do like Fae, Elves, and whatever the Druid is, but the game could use something else!).

Edited by Leiloni.

Who says the pigs are all male?

You going around checking?

LOL, ok fair point. But they look like male hamster pig people! I would prefer something small and cute that looks more feminine, how about that? 

I'm ok with that.

Double standars.

You will get a furry female archetype.

A bear in a pink tutu

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

You will get a furry female archetype.

Let me direct you to the anime thread in offtopic. It's like a furry buffet.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

That sounds like the least appetizing type of buffet. o_o

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

... why is it that orcs seemed to have become mainstream fantasy but any other fictional "fantasy" race/monster is locked to that franchise.

I'll be generous and say "conservation of imagination".

A bit less generous would be suggesting that some companies have trademarked certain morphologies and are aggressive in pursuing perceived infringements, whether real or actual.

Then there's popularity to take into account.

Do I think Crowfall needs orcs?  It definitely does not.  Do I think Crowfall would be worse off with orcs?  Only if they weren't given a proper treatment by the lore.

soli deo gloria