Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
orange

Ingame Names? Character Customization?

So lets just jump straight to the point, are we going to have to use crappy as automated names where we get little to no choice like in p101/wiz or it depends on our class. Because if that's it I'm going to be a bit insulted -.- I've always hated that about games. It's minor but just something that I hate. I want to see this game have the old fashion pick your username and if you don't like it pay $ to get a better one/make a new account (pretty much the same as handing over $ if it's a B2P/P2P system which it most likely will be) because I just think that picking your username is a HUGE decision in any community as those stick with you forever. For example in the P101C community I'm known as Technomage so whenever I play Pirates instead of being addressed by Jeremy my actual name/char name I'm known as Tech/Technomage because that's the name I made for myself. It's no different with any game and I feel it's just a minor thing in reality but something you gotta think of and I find it easier then getting mixed up with 1,000 Jeremy's in a game. 

Idk this just bothered me to ask, as well as if we'll be forced to a character specific on the class/race/whatever we pick if that's how it is. Honestly I would also hate that, a huge part of a game is that originality behind your own character. Same thing as with the name that's what you're known/recognized with. Lets be honest in a PvP based game you just need that flare and originality. Plus I hate having to look like the ten to thousands of other elves or Jeremy's in the game along with possibly sharing a similar name. These minor but starting things also will take a huge role of first impressions of new members to the game as they might just decided off those 2 little things. "I already hate how this game is turning out and I haven't even finished getting the tutorial started". 

Surprised also no one else brought this up yet being, yes a small topic that couldn't mean as much but also still important.

So lets just jump straight to the point, are we going to have to use crappy as automated names where we get little to no choice like in p101/wiz or it depends on our class. Because if that's it I'm going to be a bit insulted -.- I've always hated that about games. It's minor but just something that I hate. I want to see this game have the old fashion pick your username and if you don't like it pay $ to get a better one/make a new account (pretty much the same as handing over $ if it's a B2P/P2P system which it most likely will be) because I just think that picking your username is a HUGE decision in any community as those stick with you forever. For example in the P101C community I'm known as Technomage so whenever I play Pirates instead of being addressed by Jeremy my actual name/char name I'm known as Tech/Technomage because that's the name I made for myself. It's no different with any game and I feel it's just a minor thing in reality but something you gotta think of and I find it easier then getting mixed up with 1,000 Jeremy's in a game. 

Idk this just bothered me to ask, as well as if we'll be forced to a character specific on the class/race/whatever we pick if that's how it is. Honestly I would also hate that, a huge part of a game is that originality behind your own character. Same thing as with the name that's what you're known/recognized with. Lets be honest in a PvP based game you just need that flare and originality. Plus I hate having to look like the ten to thousands of other elves or Jeremy's in the game along with possibly sharing a similar name. These minor but starting things also will take a huge role of first impressions of new members to the game as they might just decided off those 2 little things. "I already hate how this game is turning out and I haven't even finished getting the tutorial started". 

Surprised also no one else brought this up yet being, yes a small topic that couldn't mean as much but also still important.

Your most likley going to be able to type out your own unique name, just like in any MMO 

I would like to see a system in place that prevents trolly ridiculous names, and prevents names with numbers or ridiculous words in it. Like we dont need a bunch of NiggaSwagMeister666's or Pimpbot3000's maybe you get what im trying to say. Maybe let us pick a Given name and a Surname and maybe even a middle name. Only restrict the surname as needing to be unique, this way everyone can name the character whatever they want as long as it is actually a name, whether that name be in elvish, japanese, german, vulcan, etc. Just no Swagyolo91s.

I would like to see a system in place that prevents trolly ridiculous names, and prevents names with numbers or ridiculous words in it. Like we dont need a bunch of NiggaSwagMeister666's or Pimpbot3000's maybe you get what im trying to say. Maybe let us pick a Given name and a Surname and maybe even a middle name. Only restrict the surname as needing to be unique, this way everyone can name the character whatever they want as long as it is actually a name, whether that name be in elvish, japanese, german, vulcan, etc. Just no Swagyolo91s.

I actually agree with this 100%

This

no #'s

Well I would prefer to call myself whatever I want, but I agree that #'s or !/?/etc should be allowed in our names. Only letters. This way if people want they can be SwagMasterMate but at least there wont be Swag, Swag1, Swag2, you get what I'm saying. It makes the name no matter what origional. Troll or not it's there choice but I agree no #'s. I don't want to be restricted between choosing Jeremy Shadow then get 1 original last name. Honestly that's just as bad as restricting it fully IMO. This is suppose to be different, I want a FULLY customization character, etc.

I'm just hoping that I'm listed as anything other than my account name. But yes, I'd love to use a name that spit out, not the product of generators or lists. (That's kind of ironic, as my forum name is the product of a generated two terms from two lists, but I digress.) I already have ideas as to what I'd call a potential first unit. 

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

-Nelson Mandela

No numbers is a pretty common name restriction.  No spaces tends to be common as well, unless the game offers surnames and such.

Unfortunately, Swagyolo will be some dude's character name.  As well youwilldiebyme and other names that some folks will find rather annoying.

BUT, many games have a solution to this!  RP servers often have stricter naming rules.  If you are an orc, you must name yourself an orc name, like Grug-glok.  But that does depend on how strict those rules are enforced.  It's generally enforced on RP servers by other players reporting names that they feel aren't Rp-ish enough.

Please do "First Name" + "Last Name" like FFXIV. It's so much easier to get a name that you like, rather than have to wade through "Name already taken". Plus it seems like it encourages most people to make reasonable names.

If you could restrict eligible characters letters to ASCII, that would be even better. Though I'm not sure how that will play with the Europeans.

Please do "First Name" + "Last Name" like FFXIV. It's so much easier to get a name that you like, rather than have to wade through "Name already taken". Plus it seems like it encourages most people to make reasonable names.

If you could restrict eligible characters letters to ASCII, that would be even better. Though I'm not sure how that will play with the Europeans.

I absolutely hate it when a game forces me to pick a lastname... hell no

but concerning the äöüâ and so on... I don't think any european will mind. it's usually not allowed anyways

So lets just jump straight to the point, are we going to have to use crappy as automated names where we get little to no choice like in p101/wiz or it depends on our class. 

Today I learned there exist a game where you can't type out your name.

I'm going to be honest with you, and everyone else will probably agree, I'm surprised anyone brought this up at all. I always just assumed that I would get to name my character in just about every online game now.

But yeah, I'm 99% sure you will get to name your character. I was 100% until you posted this. =P

Edited by Mandrias

I absolutely hate it when a game forces me to pick a lastname... hell no

but concerning the äöüâ and so on... I don't think any european will mind. it's usually not allowed anyways

I am hoping for first and surnames. I would be fine if you didn't have to pick one but it was an available option. I am however hoping to find a more virtual world here with crafting and wars. So hoping there will be some roleplay action going on.

High Fives and Good Times

One name, no space, no numbers, no special characters, converting to lower case except the first letter. This will prevent the

xXLÉgÖLâSszXx1336

So the dude xXLÉgÖLâSszXx1336 will be called Xxlégölásszxx. Good luck to live on with this name however :)

OIW34IY.png

MA topics for recruitment.

I second the notion of surnames - It helps immersion and customization. 

As far as "bad" names, I agree though being overly restrictive is highly subjective - who decides what names sound cool and which ones make the player look like an imbecile. Its a slippery slope restricting player freedom.

Of course, being that this is largely a PvP game, many "bad" names can serve as a "kick me" sign taped to the back of your armor. I expect "Swagreavazz" is going to have a bad day...often.....