Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Ghosts In The Machine (And Other Places)

Some good information on the concept of the Thrall system. Thanks for all the info you provide! Looking forward to owning ghost slaves, and punishing those that disobey!

Edited by Adall

I personally don't like the sound of these "guard" thralls. More information is needed, but I really hope you can't use thralls for guarding things like convoys or points of interest in campaigns. Guarding locations should really be the job of the guild that has the locations under their control. I also hope that these won't be like typical town guards that will one-shot anything that attacks another player in a city.

cue the creation of "thralls should spawn in the EK" suggestion threads

You KNOW this will happen.  Over and over and over........................

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Along with "thralls won't matter" threads from the other side.

Not to mention the impending threads on "thralls are P2W"!  :rolleyes:

"and a couple of the Kickstarter packages were just crazy good"

oj57UME.gif

Note: Eye candy presented with thanks to the Crow(s) who granted permission for me to include their badge(s) in this tasty exhibit.

Not to mention the impending threads on "thralls are P2W"!  :rolleyes:

To be fair, soul gems sound like a perfect cash shop item for a less scrupulous MMO. I only hope ACE doesn't slide down that slope.

Edited by recatek

thx for the update...

but pls don't tell me there will be an RNG check whether my weapon explodes, if enchanted. :(

I like the idea of someone using an uber thrall in their weapon that decides to attempt an escape as the PC is attempting to gank someone.  But you are right, I don't like the idea of RNG going off while I'm standing around not using the sword.  I'm also not a fan of a mechanic that would lead to "thrall is going to attempt an escape between now and then better take a different sword or sit here until I can re slot the thrall"

Edited by Khron

I personally don't like the sound of these "guard" thralls. More information is needed, but I really hope you can't use thralls for guarding things like convoys or points of interest in campaigns. Guarding locations should really be the job of the guild that has the locations under their control. I also hope that these won't be like typical town guards that will one-shot anything that attacks another player in a city.

I see the guard thralls as a line of defense more than anything.  Something that you'll have to break down in order to get to the other player's stuff.

I am not sure how the POI defense is going to work. If I think about it logically, in order to prevent just one guild from owning a POI for the entire campaign they'll have to limit or eliminate the ability to build at the POI itself.  That way the defense of the POI will have to be done by players themselves rather than static strongholds built around and over the POI. 

I don't see how thralls could adequately defend a convoy unless you had enough to surround the convoy itself - in which case more power to you. I strongly doubt the thralls will be one shotting anyone unless they're nekkid and have no defensive gear at all.

I see the thralls as defending player strongholds and convoys.  We can't all play 24/7 and without something to guard our stuff when we're not online it's going to turn into "logoff and lose your stronghold" if there are not at least a few things in the game that can defend your stuff.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

So one of the things that I've seen some reference to in ShadowBane was the existence of guards and that some buildings in the player-built cities could produce them, but not having played ShadowBane myself I don't have a clue how impactful that really was.

Reading the histories I got the impression that they pretty much just exist to keep a very small band of players from being able to have their way with a city while the owners are all offline.

I know that JTC has several times not elaborated on things because of the expectation that the audience will be familiar with SB mechanics, so maybe one of the lurking SBers can enlighten the rest of us.  :)

soli deo gloria

5. How do I capture a Thrall?

Thralls will generally be found haunting the ruins of the Campaign worlds. Ghosts have a tendency to wander the same halls and room that they did while living. To capture a Thrall, you need a soul gem. Soul gems are used to capture Thralls, transfer them, and bind them into crafting (and enchanting) recipes.

6. Are all Soul Gems the same?

Probably not, but again, we’re still working on this system. Our thought is that higher value gems can store more powerful Thralls, and that the quality and size of the Gem has a direct impact on how easy it is to contain each spirit.

Building on what Oridi asked: I hope Soul Gems are craft only items to on player interaction deapth.

Along with that I'd like to ask do thralls decays with use?

Also do thralls follow the same export rules like other resources? Ex: some can only be used in campaigns while others are for EK use?

Along with that I'd like to ask do thralls decays with use?

Looks that way.

They enter the service of the Gods, serving as craftsman and spectral guardians for a set period of time, after which their soul is released and they can rest for eternity. 

IhhQKY6.gif

I see the guard thralls as a line of defense more than anything.  Something that you'll have to break down in order to get to the other player's stuff.

I am not sure how the POI defense is going to work. If I think about it logically, in order to prevent just one guild from owning a POI for the entire campaign they'll have to limit or eliminate the ability to build at the POI itself.  That way the defense of the POI will have to be done by players themselves rather than static strongholds built around and over the POI. 

I don't see how thralls could adequately defend a convoy unless you had enough to surround the convoy itself - in which case more power to you. I strongly doubt the thralls will be one shotting anyone unless they're nekkid and have no defensive gear at all.

I see the thralls as defending player strongholds and convoys.  We can't all play 24/7 and without something to guard our stuff when we're not online it's going to turn into "logoff and lose your stronghold" if there are not at least a few things in the game that can defend your stuff.

Thralls defending convoys should not be a thing. Either they will be completely overpowered to the point where if your pockets are deep, you will never get a convey stolen, or they will be completely worthless and just take up space. The defending of convoys should be done by players, not NPCs. If you have deep pockets, you should pay off mercs to protect your stuff, not get NPCs to protect it. This game is PvP focused, not PvE with one player riding on the cart you're attacking.

It is highly likely that they will use a system like Shadowbane for sieging in which the attacking party chooses a date and the defenders choose a time. You will never log off and then log back on to losing your stronghold in the manner you described.