Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Ghosts In The Machine (And Other Places)

In short, I just don't want to see AI Thralls make up for a lack of player skill in combat. I don't want to see guardian thralls to be effective enough that, in an otherwise even fight in terms of player progression, an less-skilled player can kill a more-skilled one because they brought a thrall (or several) with them. And if this is not possible - if the Thralls don't really do much in combat and are just kind of there to be a nuisance - what is the point of having them in the first place? It's just extra clutter.

That's quite understandable and reasonable, but we don't have to choose between letting them make up for player skill in combat, or be literally useless in combat.

They don't have to not do much at all in combat. There are oodles of adjustable factors at play here. Any given concern can pretty much be "fixed" with an adjustment. Simply put, I'd even be all-for being able to use a really powerful thrall in combat (something that would take 20 players to take down), IF that powerful of a thrall were sufficiently rare/limited. Maybe it can't even fight people? Maybe it just breaks down gates/walls? So, it's just a more interesting version/option of a battering ram/siege weapon? Maybe caravan guard thralls can only support/defend? Who knows. There are a ludicrous number of possibilities for that sort of thing, depending on what becomes problematic, how problematic it is, etc.

I'm not trying to tell you how to feel about such a thing, but I do encourage you to really consider what could work, even within your own standards of thrall capabilities, before simply deciding that in no form or fashion should thralls actively do anything pertaining to combat, or it'll just be plain bad.

In regard to the lone merchant - I still see it as a risk/reward sort of thing. If you are alone, there is a higher risk that you will get killed and get your stuff taken. If you want protection, you should hire some mercenaries. If they aren't trustworthy, you know for next time not to hire them. That's a part of the game.

Not mutually exclusive, though. The ability to have some thralls doesn't = the elimination of risk. You could still be murdered to death by a couple of players, but maybe you could actually get away with some resources, or gather quickly enough to get out of there before the players arrive. Maybe one of the thralls is just a sentry, and lets you know when trouble is afoot. *shrug*. Once again... possibilities. It's good to worry about such things as "I wouldn't want that element of risk to be gone just because thralls." But, "thralls" doesn't automatically equal "the system/mechanic is ruined."

I'd be willing to bet ACE wouldn't have even mentioned combat thralls in any capacity if they hadn't already thought about this a good bit and didn't already have some sort of plan in mind for what seems like it would work.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I'd be willing to bet ACE wouldn't have even mentioned combat thralls in any capacity if they hadn't already thought about this a good bit and didn't already have some sort of plan in mind for what seems like it would work.

Indeed. It all comes down to how they balance it/what their vision is for them in their guard role. I'm probably done with this thread, as I seem to be in a very small, yet vocal, minority of myself vs everyone else lol. Hopefully ACE will find a way to make them work in a way that allows for balance of use/consequence.

If thralls don't add unique ethereal animations as triggered by certain actions based on what aspect of you're character they're supporting I'm going to be disappointed.

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28