Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gradishar

A Request For A Very Important Stretch Goal...

To be clear: the cost issue is driving *appearance* customization, not *design* customization.  I'm all about being able to modify your build in crazy ways; hence the advantages/disadvantages/promotion/disciplines system.  

Min/Max'ers need not be concerned; you'll have the ability to dramatically tweak your characters to fit your play style.  We just can't afford to go with a combinatory approach when it comes building all the character art.

Todd

ACE

Todd,

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful responses. I completely respect and understand this. The multiplicity of costs in adding racial options was exactly the reason I surmised you weren't doing it. The diversity in builds (including both optimizing and gimping your toon) is also (obviously) a priority. While I can accept the realities of this decision (as if I had another choice) I have to tell you that I am disappointed. There is a significant difference in you adding a new Archetype to create a new avenue of gameplay and the players experimenting and discovering a previously discounted build or spec group which can prove to be effective. Again, in looking back at the Loreplay/Vindication experience, forcing the players to play non-optimal combinations created more fun than we had had in years. HalfGiant Bow Huntresses were never something truly intended to be effective...but they were. By curtailing these options (for the well reasoned and understandable need to control costs both now and in the future) you have created a less diverse system with fewer options to both maximize (and gimp) our characters. 

...how the Elven Blademasters believe the stars are a gift from Gaea, and that they use the constellations in the night sky to map every cut, parry and riposte  -- the body of knowledge they call the Dance of the Heavens.  And how they believe that, when an Elven blademaster dies, that his soul will come to rest in the night sky as a new star, adding new elements to the Dance for future generations of Elven blademasters.  

Ahem. Elves were the blade weavers, the blademasters were the Human (and Aelfborn) Jen'e'tai that worshipped the stars.

Edited by recatek

Warden already stated that the reason they are not allowing cross arcetyping is to lower the animations budget. It allows them to make better looking gear for the confessor if they only have to fit a human model and not have to double efforts for a mino fessor, a Elkins fessor and a gunecian fessor. Will it change in the future? Maybe. Will it cost a ton of money, yes!

And that is why grad is posting it as a stretch goal. He isn't asking for it to be the next stretch goal.

I had an Shadowbane account that had nothing but assassins on it. Every one would play different because of the racial choice, so I understand the request.

CF_Karg.png

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful responses. I completely respect and understand this. The multiplicity of costs in adding racial options was exactly the reason I surmised you weren't doing it. The diversity in builds (including both optimizing and gimping your toon) is also (obviously) a priority. While I can accept the realities of this decision (as if I had another choice) I have to tell you that I am disappointed. 

I can certainly understand disappointment (and believe me, I'm all-to-familiar with the feeling that my design decisions have left someone disappointed).  

In this case, however, the answer is easy, because there is absolutely no way we can afford to do it the way you are suggesting.  Even if your argument was so compelling that it completely changed my mind, to the point where I was just as disappointed as you -- it still wouldn't matter, because I can't magic up $10+ million dollars.  

It's simply not something we can (remotely) afford.  No sense in debating the pros and cons of something we can't change, even if we wanted to.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

...how the Elven Blademasters believe the stars are a gift from Gaea, and that they use the constellations in the night sky to map every cut, parry and riposte  -- the body of knowledge they call the Dance of the Heavens.  And how they believe that, when an Elven blademaster dies, that his soul will come to rest in the night sky as a new star, adding new elements to the Dance for future generations of Elven blademasters. "

I absolutely love this.   

Moar lore, please.

It's all about the story........................

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Ahem. Elves were the blade weavers, the blademasters were the Human (and Aelfborn) Jen'e'tai that worshipped the stars.

*busted*  oops!

yeah, I was being lazy and didn't bother want to look anything up.  

I've always wondered how GRRM can possibly keep from contradicting himself on ALL the details he previously established.  I'm constantly mis-mis-mis-remembering my details and having to go back to check (or, back in the day, having Meridian remind and correct me.)  

and my stuff is about 10,000x more simple than SoIAF!

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I can certainly understand disappointment (and believe me, I'm all-to-familiar with the feeling that my design decisions have left someone disappointed).  

In this case, however, the answer is easy, because there is absolutely no way we can afford to do it the way you are suggesting.  Even if your argument was so compelling that it completely changed my mind, to the point where I was just as disappointed as you -- it still wouldn't matter, because I can't magic up $10+ million dollars.  

It's simply not something we can (remotely) afford.  No sense in debating the pros and cons of something we can't change, even if we wanted to.

Todd

ACE

Well said sir...well said.

Now if you could address my questions as to the religious affiliations of archetypes, the differences between The Shadows (GvG) vs The Dregs (FFA) and how healing is or isn't going to be implemented...I'll be able to go to sleep tonight a thoroughly satisfied, well informed and reasonably content (if not completely happy) gamer (and financial Kickstarter contributor to ArtCraftEntertainment). 

*busted*  oops!

I've always wondered how GRRM can possibly keep from contradicting himself on ALL the details he previously established.  I'm constantly mis-mis-mis-remembering my details and having to go back to check (or, back in the day, having Meridian remind and correct me.)  

Todd

Speaking of which...can't you set a new stretch goal to steal him away from Kings Isle?

Todd

ACE

There you go, all you have to do is pledge 10 million and all the people who want more combinations can get what they want :)

Uhm, I think there are many other things they could do with an extra $10M that would add way more the game than some toon options. :)

Seriously, though, your point is well put JTodd. This type of thing is likely to be one of the harder things you'll have to do as the game goes on: saying no to people with not-unreasonable points making requests that simply aren't practical.
Kudos on passing your first test :) 
And Kudos for managing to articulate the reason well.

CopperStall

PS Here's hoping you end up with at least a small version of the Star Citizen problem: funding outstripping your original plan so much you have to re-evaluate your definition of what is practical  :wacko:  :o  :D

*busted*  oops!

Todd

Bet he would love to help "remind" you again, just sayin'.......

Speaking of which...can't you set a new stretch goal to steal him away from Kings Isle?

PLEASE?  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Just comes back full circle.

Ergo,

"Alright, once we hit $100 mil, we'll make it a stretch goal."

Like and subscribe.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Todd don't mind Grad, he still conjugates Irekei in his sleep.

Funny story Karg...I actually did sign an assignment of any intellectual property rights I might have to Irekei to WolfPack back in the day.  Sam did use a lot that crazy crap for naming villages, desert zones, npcs, etc. Did my heart proud actually. 

Edited by Gradishar