Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gradishar

A Request For A Very Important Stretch Goal...

Todd,

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful responses. I completely respect and understand this. The multiplicity of costs in adding racial options was exactly the reason I surmised you weren't doing it. The diversity in builds (including both optimizing and gimping your toon) is also (obviously) a priority. While I can accept the realities of this decision (as if I had another choice) I have to tell you that I am disappointed.

Sadly, I am too.

I understand the reasons as Todd laid them out, but I'd hoped to be able to have a tad more diversity. 

Edited by Kirel

" ...how the Elven Blademasters believe the stars are a gift from Gaea, and that they use the constellations in the night sky to map every cut, parry and riposte  -- the body of knowledge they call the Dance of the Heavens.  And how they believe that, when an Elven blademaster dies, that his soul will come to rest in the night sky as a new star, adding new elements to the Dance for future generations of Elven blademasters. "

I absolutely love this.   

Moar lore, please.

It's all about the story........................

Yeah! I really dig the storytelling the crew is creating, its good to see new takes on old faves!

And from J.Todd's post:  "Instead, we're going to make you the most bad-bottom motorcycle you've ever seen."  HAHA! Yes, we have Motorcycles confirmed! OH I can't wait to ride a motorcycle with my Elken Stalker, firing my bow as I strike fast and then disappear into the shadows of the forest! The ultimate Scout!

Edited by SirHendel

Sadly, I am too.

I understand the reasons as Todd laid them out, but I'd hoped to be able to have a tad more diversity. 

Ideally though, there will be diversity between the options of customization. Honestly, from my experience, having the option to mix class and race results in bland characters. I'm going to use WoW as an example, because it both meets what you want and I have more experience with it.

In WoW, all Tauren are the same. They have the same voice. They have the same models, they have the same animations. Their animations are also exceptionally limited. They have I think one cast animation set (mid-cast and end cast), and the only diversity between them is your avatar customizations. So sure, I can roll a Tauren Priest, but it'll look and act just like my Tauren Druid, the only difference being the spell particle effects and the armor I can wear.

By keeping Crowfall's archetypes more focused, instead of having 1 cast animation, 1 swing animation, 1 run animation, etc. for each race, we instead see several animations for attacks. It doesn't look or sound silly, and will look and feel better.

So while I can't roll a Guinicean druid, my (Dryad?) Druid will have a lot of unique animations to accompany her vast array of spells and abilities -- instead of my Tauren's whirling of the hands and thrusting them out that gets applied to every spell.

In terms of character diversity, themes will set our characters apart. Much more than whether you rolled this race or that (and from my experience, most people will typically just roll a race exclusively for the racial abilities), what we'll see is which promotion class you took (which from what I understand will really set the character apart from the others) and the runes you use to accompany it. Unlike systems like WoW's talents, where each class of each spec is pretty much the same, no two players who (individually) build their characters will look the same. The diversity will be in our runes and kits, our choices of how we engage and the roles we play in fights. That's the diversity that matters to me, anyway.

(I just hope that over time we get additional armors with unique looks -- probably through the cosmetic shop. I love playing dressup)

"Instead, we're going to make you the most bad-bottom motorcycle you've ever seen."  HAHA! Yes, we have Motorcycles confirmed! OH I can't wait to ride a motorcycle with my Elken Stalker, firing my bow as I strike fast and then disappear into the shadows of the forest! The ultimate Scout!

f9h79v.jpg

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

f9h79v.jpg

*right click*

*save*

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

putting that in the spank bank for later?

You are on a roll today.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

...how the Elven Blademasters believe the stars are a gift from Gaea, and that they use the constellations in the night sky to map every cut, parry and riposte  -- the body of knowledge they call the Dance of the Heavens.  And how they believe that, when an Elven blademaster dies, that his soul will come to rest in the night sky as a new star, adding new elements to the Dance for future generations of Elven blademasters. "

I absolutely love this.   

Moar lore, please.

It's all about the story........................

About anything other than the Elves, a race so arrogant that they believe when they die that the very heavens will reach out to permanently mark their existence into the universe for all of time. It does say 'when an elf' dies, so apparently the universe gives not a crap for the other races according to Elves. And people are surprised that i loathe them?

I believe when an Elf dies, a rainbow is sad.

f9h79v.jpg

HAHAHA!! You honor me Mr. Coleman! All I was going for was a quick chuckle, but this is simply superb!! It's the little things like this that give me such great confidence in your team! Please keep up all the amazing work, and do stay true to your roots! Its very refreshing to know you all have goals and are working to keep within realistic expectations. Cheers to the ACE Crew!

I cannot wait to buy some real life Crowfall merchandise and in-game skins, etc to keep backing your vision, I believe in the ACE dream!

It's very reassuring to also hear about your "player/angels" which Mr. Walton mentioned, may they help your dreams become reality!

Thank you ACE for making what will indeed be an amazing game!

Edited by SirHendel

I cannot wait to buy some real life Crowfall merchandise and in-game skins, etc to keep backing your vision, I believe in the ACE dream!

Like a Ranger with bunny ears, a carrot amulet and a rabbits paw earring. (If campaign allows it to show or only on EK.)

No! No! No! No bunny ears! Please, please, NOT the bunny ears.

I like the archtype approach because it makes the classes look more distinct. I still think the TF2 approach is great, as you can gauge the threat from every enemy based purely on their silhouette.

This request is akin to people in TF2 saying "I want a big burly guy to be a scout!" You're right, it could work, but regardless of asset/art costs, it doesn't work with the current art direction, that I really like.

Personally when I first realized that there is race/archetype lock I was disappointed , I didn't like the fact that I wouldn't be able to play race A with archetype B,I felt limited. Later I did find the fact that lore wise the archetypes would make more sense interesting and kinda felt some satisfaction, now what I care for the most is if a race used to be or used some kind of weapon or ability to be included like, ex. the frost Elves(Highborn?) lore wise should have some kind of archetype that used melee weapons, in my opinion it would be weird if they didn't, or if lets say the Stoneborn didn't have any combat related archetype (with a mace for example, you know to ''dwarf smash'') these kind of thing, I don't want the same archetypes but I want to be able to play a race in its possible lore wise combinations. 

What still kind of disappoints me (but I accept as reasonable) is the limited characters customization(not talking about armours, or by any means sliders! ), honestly I don't like to play bulky build characters(it bothers me the most), in WoW as an example I avoided the Humans that I would likely play because they reminded me of gorillas and played Elves. When I saw the Knight for the first time I really liked the way he was made, but the bulkiness put me off somewhat, I thought I would be able to change his physique a bit when creating him, I was wrong. :P Still I found it quite okay as his role would be to take damage mostly, then I wondered if its so then what about the other archetypes of the same race? Would they share those qualities even though their roles are different? This prompted me to question the devs in the Reddit Q&A about it, and I was answered that with some certainty that could be the case (albeit with same animations which honestly doesn't bother me for the same race at all), now I am waiting to see how the other models will look like and hope that the Templars(this was what I wanted to play from the start, erm I like spears okay?! xD just look at the fury! she looks awesome! ...with her overly wide bladed spear/polearm...) like their female counterparts will be lean and agile looking.(not that I would mind 2-3 body types to chose from).

So I would rather have archetypes that are logical for their races and body types that fit their roles well, than have x races with all archetypes.

Reddit: Q: Will different archetypes of the same race have different physique to fit their role more?

A: f I'm understand correctly, you're asking "if we add a Fae spellcaster, would she had a different height/weight/body style?"
Yes, she certainly could. One of the benefits of the archetype system is that each archetype can be VERY different. That said, we'll always have to be mindful of animation reuse, because animations are INCREDIBLY expensive, so it'll probably be a mix. For example, I'm expecting that we'll get some reuse between the Male Champion and the Minotaur... even though the overall look will be significantly different.

As thing sit right now (and as I currently understand things) Archetypes are a pre-set Class/Race combination. Centaurs are Legionnaires...Elves are Frostweavers...Humans can be Confessors, Templars, Knights, Rangers...Elken are Stalkers. I understand the need for this...as the graphical resources needed to make Elvish Knights and Elken Duelists are considerable. The problems inherent in "balancing" are magnified considerably if one were to break apart Archetypes into Races and Classes and allow various (even limited) combinations. I get all that. Unfortunately...that's what we as modern MMO players have come to expect. While diversifying your character during gameplay with advancing the toon from Knight to either Swordsman, Crusader or Sentinel and then further diversifying your toon with Disciplines (Bounty Hunter vs Gladiator vs Marksman) ...creating different skills and specialities to make your toon play differently and optimizing them for different scenarios...is all well and good...but I fundamentally believe that limiting these wonderful and diverse races to single starting Archetypes is a serious mistake. Please consider (as an additional stretch goal worthy of additional investment) the breaking apart of Archetypes into both race and class options...allow Humans to play all Archetypes...allow the Fae to play Druids, Assassins and Frostweavers....allow Centaurs to play Legionnaires, Stalkers, Forgemasters and Rangers...allow Elken to play Stalkers, Rangers and Druids...etc etc etc. Yes...it will take considerably more time and effort to accomplish...but the pay off..in terms of diversity in character creation...diversity in toon builds...diversity in guilds...diversity in army composition...and overall satisfaction with the game will be well worth it.

This is not custard important at all, only the carebears care about poorly made socks like this.

Member of The BlackHand Order

It isn't a balancing issue, it's an identification issue. Since this is a heavy pvp game, players need to know what they are up against at a glance. Like Warhammer Online, each class is linked to one silhouette. This is the way it should be.