Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

The Crowfall Budget Question

Can you give me a official quote off this? Pardon for my ignorance.

No NDA at any phase of testing.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Can you give me a official quote off this? Pardon for my ignorance.

No NDA at any phase of testing.

Thank you. I just found a similtaneous quote in the Reddit AMA I'm now bookmarking.

I'm curious, really, what the limits of the server might be depending on how impressive the scalable aspect of the Crowfall code might be. If one could simply spin up more virtual servers to help power Campaign X, couldn't you in theory go crazy and support an insane amount of people (5000? 10000?).

I'm excited for this modern technology to be implemented in an MMO because I think it might help solve so many of the common problems that occur with an MMOs hyped launch and the inevitable fall off that occurs a month or so after.

There are several smaller MMOs that use "the Cloud" (EC2, etc.) very successfully.  It's a good strategy -- especially when you frame the discussion around Dying Worlds.

As far as scaling, it depends on how you do zones.  Each cloud instance (node) can either represent something large (an entire World) or something much smaller (a few parcels).  The trade-off is that you incur disruption as you move between nodes (e.g. a loading screen).  ACE commented a few weeks ago about some load testing they were doing.  Once they determine how much action a single cloud node can handle, they can use that as a population cap, and make design decisions about how much turf a zone encompasses.

When architecting you have to keep in mind tricky questions like, "What happens if everyone in a World tries to congregate in the same parcel?"  There are many ways to handle this situation, but all of them involve trade-offs.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Yes, we already run in the cloud on leased server instances.  We should have included that info for sure!

What type of cloud?

Cirrus, Cirrostratus, Cirrocumulus, Altostratus, Alocumulus, Nimbotratus, Cumulus, Stratus, Cumulonimbus or Statocumulus

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/srh/jetstream/clouds/cloudwise/types.html

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Honestly, as someone who works in an industry that cares about this stuff, you have done a good job outlining you business plan to your potenial investors and/or supporters. Thank you for the open communication about this, it does provide confidence in your product and vision, as well as show why you have made the decisions you have.

Now you just need to convince more folks. Don't worry though... we will try and help with that!

I+m+with+you+although+i+m+not+anything+a

Investors will frequently back a "B" idea with an "A" team building it.

Investors will never back an "A" idea with a "B" team building it.

Investors will always back an "A" idea with an "A" team building it.

Crowfall is an "A" idea and ACE is an "A" team.  This is why I backed via KS. It's why ACE is obtaining their $6M target.

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

And a consequence of the successful Kickstarter campaign is that it gives you a certain amount of leverage regarding increased pricing of additional equity investment finance and a reduced risk assessment / interest cost regarding any (bridging) debt finance.

It is going to be important to fund launch marketing as much as possible though - the multiple campaign world structure will fragment the player base and the success of the game is dependent upon a player experience generated from a critical mass of player numbers within every campaign world especially since you won't have all that "traditional" PvE content to keep us engaged.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat, but if I could I'd upgrade my kickstarter pledge considerably.  I initially pledged when there wasn't that much more information on the page other than the concept video and prior to any stretch goals being revealed.  Once the kickstarter ended and I saw a few more of the dev interviews I became fully committed to this game, and I'd love to give you guys more money.

Edited by GoodKnight

I'd love to give you guys more money.

And we'd love to let you. <3

We're actually in the process of implementing an upgrade system that will let you do just that. We'll announce when it's ready. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

ArtCraft thankyou for the Transparency. Already this goes above and beyond what many large developers are willing to do and explain for us!

Thats presumably for websites.

I'd be interested in the gory details of whatever platform ends up hosting the actual games servers. From work I know that 'the cloud' isn't necessarily something that can host all workloads. For example one service provides rather poor IOPS and simply isn't suitable for databases. The joys of being told cloud is the way forward, all the little gotchas that don't make it into the marketing guff.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.