Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

The Crowfall Budget Question

Can you give me a official quote off this? Pardon for my ignorance.

It was in one of the kick starter updates I think, or I watched it in an interview. I don't remember.  :P

It was in one of the kick starter updates I think, or I watched it in an interview. I don't remember.  :P

Yep. Thanks. I actually found the answer on the Reddit AMA. I found a LOT of answers on the Reddit AMA.

Yep. Thanks. I actually found the answer on the Reddit AMA. I found a LOT of answers on the Reddit AMA.

Awesome, I'm glad you found it. Got classes today so I couldn't find time to sift through all the updates. Haha.

I like the idea of the player/angel investors, so long as they don't feel entitled to influence the direction of the game any more than any other backer/user, simply by virtue of being whales.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Legit, informative, aprreciated!

I really like this information.

I hope you will pick up a partner and keep the reins in EU realm ...

It would be terrifying, if monetisation or blatant changes to the game ... make it different from the NA client.

Hope you get the partners you want.

Sadly .. i can't invest as angel here.

Just bought my house last years (atleast 10% of it now ... and 90% trough my bank. Living on a 20 years mortage of an average monthly cost of "renting it really cheap".). So no money to spend ... and all my assets are rather bound atm xD.

A Question.

How much is about 0,1% of your buisness worth, roughly?

(From your perspective, not real data from selling rights away~)

So we discussed this whole debate in the last days very intense in our team.. Although we had some differnt view in few aspects, we cam to a good conclusion we all agree with. 

As we serve our german communtiy, of course, we forwarded and translated this official news. I decided to bring down my own view in a very long post below the news text as a comment. Unfortunately it's all german.

I might translate the core statements into english and post the whole thing here as well, as I am really interessted in your comments on my opinion. 

For now a would just like to leave the link for all the german speaking guys here and see wether they agree or disagree with me: 

News: http://www.crowfall-community.de/index.php?/news/crowfall/die-budgetfrage-r13/

My opinion: http://www.crowfall-community.de/index.php?/news/crowfall/die-budgetfrage-r13/&do=findComment&comment=137

Banner-250x50.png

German Community Fansitehttp://www.crowfall-community.de/ - News | Forum | Patchnotes | Guild Hosting | Guides | Database

Reading a post like this is both transparent and ballsy.

I like it. I've seen too many companies (both MMOs and smaller companies of other genres) fail to achieve potential success rates because of money and people who give it and those who want to dictate how dev cycles and things get released.

So far I'm solidly behind ACE with it's direction. Great job so far!

Reading a post like this is both transparent and ballsy.

I like it. I've seen too many companies (both MMOs and smaller companies of other genres) fail to achieve potential success rates because of money and people who give it and those who want to dictate how dev cycles and things get released.

So far I'm solidly behind ACE with it's direction. Great job so far!

I feel the same way. I've been pleasantly surprised. 

So I'm assuming that the backend you got licensure for was the one from Shadowbane?

[rant]I've got to say, until reading that email, I always secretly (read: very publicly) held a grudge against all of humanity for Shadowbane's source code not being made public after its doors were shuttered years ago, because I loved the crap out of that game and never stopped talking to people about it, but over the course of the years that were spent reverse-engineering it to make a playable emulation of it, my computer slowly forgot how to do things, and is now better at making toast than, say, running YouTube, let alone games, even ones as graphically unintensive as Shadowbane.

But I've got to say, this game is probably the best reason I could have ever imagined to not make Shadowbane's source code public.

Using it again?! For SCIENCE?!?!~ IN THE FUTUUUUUURE![/rant][happy]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat, but if I could I'd upgrade my kickstarter pledge considerably.  I initially pledged when there wasn't that much more information on the page other than the concept video and prior to any stretch goals being revealed.  Once the kickstarter ended and I saw a few more of the dev interviews I became fully committed to this game, and I'd love to give you guys more money.

This. But honestly, when one of the creators of Shadowbane signed on at the start and the game had such a Shadowbane flavor to it, I'd have given them all my money if I'd had more than what I pledged to my name.

At this point, my big issue for the next few months is going to be deciding how much money to throw at Crowfall, and how much money to invest in a computer to play it on.

Such excite. +_+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

That was an amazing post. I can't remember ever reading something so clear, precise, and honest from a developer before. 

Love it, glad I backed.

Lf6MJUL.png

So I'm assuming that the backend you got licensure for was the one from Shadowbane?

[rant]I've got to say, until reading that email, I always secretly (read: very publicly) held a grudge against all of humanity for Shadowbane's source code not being made public after its doors were shuttered years ago, because I loved the crap out of that game and never stopped talking to people about it, but over the course of the years that were spent reverse-engineering it to make a playable emulation of it, my computer slowly forgot how to do things, and is now better at making toast than, say, running YouTube, let alone games, even ones as graphically unintensive as Shadowbane.

But I've got to say, this game is probably the best reason I could have ever imagined to not make Shadowbane's source code public.

Using it again?! For SCIENCE?!?!~ IN THE FUTUUUUUURE![/rant][happy]

No Shadowbane code.  Just some lessons learned from it, and Pirates of the Burning Sea and Wizard 101.   And with our team, lessons from another dozen MMOs.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

4. We acquired a backend MMO technology stack when we formed the company. One of our first employees (who previously worked on titles like ShadowbanePirates of the Burning Seas and Wizard101) had spent four years as an independent developer, building his own proprietary MMO backend technology base. We acquired a license to that technology (and hired him!) right at the beginning of our company. This alone cut our time to market by over a year and reduced our costs substantially.

Following the timeline presented, I think it's same to assume he developed the backend MMO technology as an independent developer, meaning it wouldn't have much to do with Shadowbane. I'm pretty sure ChangYou owns everything to do with shadowbane, code included. I'm no IP lawyer, but that's my assumption. I am curious what Thomas Sitch created.