Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

The Crowfall Budget Question

We've already committed to cross-region play.  Historically only ~10% of most MMOs (that allow it) end up playing across the pond with each other though.  We just don't want to separate those that do want to play between North America and Europe.  We also committed that all early backers will always have access to our ArtCraft Crowfall service.

That's great news for those Clans that have an International player base in addition to being a traditional NA Clan. Not having to split up your PvP ranks between EU/NA servers or having to have a second toon on the other server will be nice.

Edited by tasorin

I am hoping the lessons aren't just from the technical side... because other than late game optimization going to hell after the Beta/Stress tests cycles I don't worry about technical stuff.

I worry about things like marketing/investors directing all community/promotional management, investors moving dev cycles, devs having to slush out work to meet said cycle deadlines, ect.

So as long as we don't have our own 'Crowfall Marketing/Money Scheme' and you optimize the game well so that all of us nerds can smash into each other and load our characters as we do so... you will only see  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  from me and on my social media  :ph34r:

And we'd love to let you. <3

We're actually in the process of implementing an upgrade system that will let you do just that. We'll announce when it's ready.

Excellent, I know a lot of people who were advocating something like this but a clear cut and dry system where you can upgrade your KS package would bring in a good bit of revenue.

Excellent, I know a lot of people who were advocating something like this but a clear cut and dry system where you can upgrade your KS package would bring in a good bit of revenue.

It is live now.  You have to have merged your Kickstarter pledge (email us at support@artcraftent.com if you haven't received your email with pledge code) with your crowfall.com account, then hit a pledge button and you should see upgrades.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Thanks for the info Gordon! I like how open this company is.

What are you going to do about marketing to reach more audiences besides word of mouth? Any plans to maybe do a commercial or something to reach more audiences to bring in more revenue? I know that production on that can eat a ton of money up. I only heard about this game on mmorpg.com That is how I found it but not everyone goes to websites like that. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info Gordon! I like how open this company is.

What are you going to do about marketing to reach more audiences besides word of mouth? Any plans to maybe do a commercial or something to reach more audiences to bring in more revenue? I know that production on that can eat a ton of money up. I only heard about this game on mmorpg.com That is how I found it but not everyone goes to websites like that. Just a thought.

Yep, we've got ongoing and launch marketing plans.   Not ready to talk much about them though.  :)  I'll say this though, the marketing we do will be targeted at finding the people who haven't heard of us yet (as you note), and to amplify the word-of-mouth work our backers are already doing.

The truth is that word-of-mouth is 10x+ more effective than almost any paid marketing plan, so the real marketing power in spreading the word about Crowfall resides with our backers and future players. 

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Yep, we've got ongoing and launch marketing plans.   Not ready to talk much about them though.  :)  I'll say this though, the marketing we do will be targeted at finding the people who haven't heard of us yet (as you note), and to amplify the word-of-mouth work our backers are already doing.

The truth is that word-of-mouth is 10x+ more effective than almost any paid marketing plan, so the real marketing power in spreading the word about Crowfall resides with our backers and future players. 

I'm sure many ACE devs are already pretty used to watching gameplay on twitch.tv but I suggest really looking into certain popular streamers there.  They can make interest in games spread like wildfire.  I think promotion from streamers like bikeman or lirik who really have such a wide reach amongst gamers would really help put this game on the map. 

League of Legends basically grew so big because it synced up with the video game streaming boom and got so much exposure that way. 

In crowfall's case specifically I think players like Lirik or Bikeman are good because not only are they popular but they are skilled at playing games so they make the actual gameplay look fluid and skillful.  It does actually matter when advertising gameplay, the skill level of the player behind it.  If someone is running around, interacting with the interface slowly, having trouble with the basic mechanics, it doesn't look as appealing to a viewer.  Just the nature of the beast. 

This guy gets it.

I'm sure many ACE devs are already pretty used to watching gameplay on twitch.tv but I suggest really looking into certain popular streamers there.  They can make interest in games spread like wildfire.  I think promotion from streamers like bikeman or lirik who really have such a wide reach amongst gamers would really help put this game on the map. 

League of Legends basically grew so big because it synced up with the video game streaming boom and got so much exposure that way. 

In crowfall's case specifically I think players like Lirik or Bikeman are good because not only are they popular but they are skilled at playing games so they make the actual gameplay look fluid and skillful.  It does actually matter when advertising gameplay, the skill level of the player behind it.  If someone is running around, interacting with the interface slowly, having trouble with the basic mechanics, it doesn't look as appealing to a viewer.  Just the nature of the beast. 

One of my favorite things to watch is certain Twitch streamers who do a promotion with a game dev company because it it hype or it is paid and they have -NO- idea what is going on. No idea how the game should work, the overarching systems, possible developer intent, or anything. When the hype/promo pay period is over -poof!- 

I didn't know Lirik played MMOs. On a side note: Bikeman is beast  :wub:  :wub:

This guy gets it.

One of my favorite things to watch is certain Twitch streamers who do a promotion with a game dev company because it it hype or it is paid and they have -NO- idea what is going on. No idea how the game should work, the overarching systems, possible developer intent, or anything. When the hype/promo pay period is over -poof!- 

I didn't know Lirik played MMOs. On a side note: Bikeman is beast  :wub:  :wub:

This is another reason I used those two as an example.  Lirik is well known for not being in anyone's pocket because he realizes that objectivity keeps his fanbase much better than selling his soul for 1 company and 1 game and losing credibility as a gamer.  They also stream for a living so they are more interested in creating fun and entertaining experiences, while playing at a high level of competency, but not being too min/maxer type personas. 

Bikeman's cool because he's also very legitimate and credible as well as being a bit older so he may be a good bridge for some of the older crowd that this game might attract.  Whereas lirik is the mid 20's whippersnapper who uses modern day game lingo and memes while bikeman is more interested in making all sorts of weird analogies and references to 80s and 90s culture. 

Lirik does play MMOs from time to time but because none of them are that great it isn't really wise of him to stream them during his normal schedule, he still does occasionally though.

When all is said and done streamers can be great or bad advertising for a game, a lot of this comes down to the quality of game, but companies also have to be careful about which streamers they get in bed with because some can end up reflecting very poorly on the company. 

Another reason why LoL grew big quickly, and I believe it is also the reason why it synced up with the blooming of game streaming, is the format of LoL being pleasing visually for people who watch the stream.

In LoL, it's quite easy, even for newcomers, to follow the action, to identify with a character or team and to anticipate scenarios.

I haven't researched about this subject but I guess that MMORPG streams are less popular than MOBA. In MOBA, it seems like everything was built to facilitate non-participant viewing : clarity of the mini-map, items and abilities, contrast environment/players, players position, roles, strategies, etc. along with a bird's-eye view  that helps to get an overview of the situation with a simple glance. There are probably tons of others factors.

If Crowfall can grab a few elements of what make MOBA easy and fun to watch, maybe with an option to reposition the camera in a kind of "viewer" mode, I guess it will be a lot more popular when streamed than any other MMORPG can be. I've seen a couple videos of TERA GvG and I liked to watch it really much even if I never played the game, and in general haven't played much MMORPG. I know Crowfall is going over the shoulder camera though so it's different. I also consider the fact that some counter strike stream are quite popular so the camera might not have a huge impact on the feeling we get as viewer.

Lot of stuff to explore I guess.  :P

Another reason why LoL grew big quickly, and I believe it is also the reason why it synced up with the blooming of game streaming, is the format of LoL being pleasing visually for people who watch the stream.

Honestly if you look at LoL's history it was just divine timing.  A very cliche type hardcore moba player playing a game a ton and the technology opening up to where he could share that content in real time.  People liked his personality even though it was toxic because it was like reality tv drama to them and they found it entertaining. 

The game definitely grew quickly because of not only being visually pleasing but following that age old concept of easy to learn and hard to master.  It basically became the WoW of MOBAs. 

In LoL, it's quite easy, even for newcomers, to follow the action, to identify with a character or team and to anticipate scenarios.

I haven't researched about this subject but I guess that MMORPG streams are less popular than MOBA. In MOBA, it seems like everything was built to facilitate non-participant viewing : clarity of the mini-map, items and abilities, contrast environment/players, players position, roles, strategies, etc. along with a bird's-eye view  that helps to get an overview of the situation with a simple glance. There are probably tons of others factors.

Before gamers could realistically stream to wide audiences the major game streams were from big events and tournaments, at that time WoW was the big fish and dominated the market in viewership and popularity.  As stream culture developed and it became something practically anyone could do the accessibility and gameplay of the games definitely became a larger and larger factor on getting players to jump into it. 

This is a sticky area though because from a spectator point of view you do need the game to be easy to understand or the viewer gets bored and confused and tunes out, but in regards to mmorpgs you definitely don't want a game too be too simplistic or you turn the players off.  I think with the nature of MMORPGs shifting to that limited ability pool action combat type gameplay you can find that sweet spot where the game looks simple and clean, but can be hard to master. 

If Crowfall can grab a few elements of what make MOBA easy and fun to watch, maybe with an option to reposition the camera in a kind of "viewer" mode, I guess it will be a lot more popular when streamed than any other MMORPG can be. I've seen a couple videos of TERA GvG and I liked to watch it really much even if I never played the game, and in general haven't played much MMORPG. I know Crowfall is going over the shoulder camera though so it's different. I also consider the fact that some counter strike stream are quite popular so the camera might not have a huge impact on the feeling we get as viewer.

People didn't particularly find it hard to watch WoW, it still has some pretty big streamers, I do think a more pvp focused mmorpg that is also a polished and good game can overtake WoW in viewership simply because it seems most people like watching some sort of PvP over PvE. 

Lot of stuff to explore I guess.  :P