Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xris

Flying

When someone punts you off the side of a cliff you will be flying! :)

"B-but I want flying."

"I have an ability for that, stand over there for a second."

sparta.jpg

Sorta makes sense for fae since assassins need to get to places like ninjas do.

Edited by Lastboy

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Im sorry to say but, i vote No on flying.

For reasons such as immersion and reducing the experience of "world" and "scale". Of course my reasons go far beyond just these stated here, but these are my core reasons.

We have beings that can conjur fire from nothing, deer that want to kill you, rodents that carry daggers and pistols, Fae that hover but could never fly. And you're saying it "breaks immersion". I don't get it.

Don't knock off flying because blizzard didn't do it well (seems like your opinion). I love flying in games.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Personally i could live without flying. Would rather not have the mechanicin case it somehow affects the game in too negative a way like kililng open world pvp or killing the chance of running into groups of players on a trek or something.

Xfj4obT.png

Fae, despite having wings, were said (somewhere, I don't know exactly where) to glide, not fly. There is no true flight in this game as far as I've heard.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

I have not see any good discussion on 'why' some of you are against flying.  Could someone expand on this?  My only problem with "flying/gliding" in Archeage were the restrictions.  I was ok with the 3 minute time limit but the rough sea turbulence was ridiculous.  It actually hindered more than it helped those who ran tradepacks over seas.  Before turbulence was introduced we would have one person glide over to the enemy ship chasing us and lower their anchor or sails so the rest of us could get away.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  It was balanced.  But people complained so they added turbulence.  But, it was fun flying around.  It added an open-ness to the game.  And this is what I liked about it.

So, what did you not like about flying in AA or other games that have a similar mechanic?  There seems to see a lot of mud-slinging at those who want flying versus those who do not.  Some explanation, please? Without all the salt, maybe.

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

I have not see any good discussion on 'why' some of you are against flying.  Could someone expand on this?  My only problem with "flying/gliding" in Archeage were the restrictions.  I was ok with the 3 minute time limit but the rough sea turbulence was ridiculous.  It actually hindered more than it helped those who ran tradepacks over seas.  Before turbulence was introduced we would have one person glide over to the enemy ship chasing us and lower their anchor or sails so the rest of us could get away.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  It was balanced.  But people complained so they added turbulence.  But, it was fun flying around.  It added an open-ness to the game.  And this is what I liked about it.

So, what did you not like about flying in AA or other games that have a similar mechanic?  There seems to see a lot of mud-slinging at those who want flying versus those who do not.  Some explanation, please? Without all the salt, maybe.

I thought other peopels posts were pretty clear honestly

Xfj4obT.png

I thought other peopels posts were pretty clear honestly

Yeah, but I don't understand people mean by killing "immersion" or by trivializing pvp.  I just want to understand where they're coming from.

In campaigns this would present a problem in that it would negate most barricade techniques. Don't see the problem with it being around in eternal kingdoms though

It wouldn't be very logical if you could fly in EK and not in any campaign. Better have none everywhere since the beginning.

In campaigns this would present a problem in that it would negate most barricade techniques. Don't see the problem with it being around in eternal kingdoms though

flying_dieing_zpse1hy2kbu.gif

Flying = Dieing when against a guarded wall.

Flying worked great in Shadowbane so I don't have any doubts that if it were implemented in this game it would be great! Nothing like flying around on my Arocoix thief repairing walls stealthily and falling from the sky into the enemies because I ran out of stamina! Luckily I always stored the money in the walls and drug it around in case of such a situation.

Gliding and flying are totally different. Rather have Gliding over Flying any day.

Wouldn't mind gliding as a discipline for jumping. Maybe Fae just happen to have an inherent bonus to gliding?

Edited by Lastboy

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I believe Flight should be limited in duration.  I don't see how flight would be detrimental to world pvp when there are NO instances in the world.  It isn't like someone is waiting on their BG/LFG to pop. POI are in the worlds to incentivize world PvP.  Player Cities are there to incentivize world PvP/Sieges.

WoW has the problem of too much landmass (and instances).  There's 4 landmasses (3 in Azeroth and BC. I'm not sure what Warlords introduced).  You place one server population on Easter Kingdoms and remove all instances then see how flight will matter.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Flying has absolutely nothing to do with reducing immersion due to world or scale. Shadowbane had flying and didn't do either of these things, it completely depends on the implementation and you've written off flying completely based on one type... which is the garbage flying mount seen in themeparks.

I think he's referring to WoW-style of flying, which significantly reduced the size of the world and is arguably this single biggest mistake in WoW history. (see my numerous arguments for over-accessibility)