Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xris

Flying

Is it weird that I'm more ok with gliding than double jumping? 

I gotta admit, having a bird's eye view of a campaign is going to be pretty sick but I see this option more likely to be in a PvE based environment.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

The gliders were one of the best parts of Archeage. It's just another game mechanic, but it can be a really fun one if done well.

The gliders were fun, but at the end of the day had a very big negative impact on gameplay in Archeage. Not all fun things are necessarily good in the large scale of things.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Wow all the people saying that flight ruins immersion or PvP must have never played Shadowbane?

Mainly due to them basing their views on completely another games. I am in understatement that when some of them refer to flying, they mean flying mounts that boost your movement speed by 300% (or w/e ridiculous number) whilst we are thinking of our toons that had flight.

But flying in no way questions the legitimacy of PvP or does it remove any strategies. If anything it adds another layer of strategy involved into PvP.

Ah ok so basically when people are saying they are against "flying" it really should be stated as "flying mounts" rather than just flying in general. Reading this thread surprised me a bit considering how amazing flying was done in Shadowbane... but I forget that not everyone was lucky enough to play and see how well it worked :)

I completely agree with the people saying that flying mounts in the themepark type games ruin both gameplay and immersion.

Edited by Asheron

I much prefer gliding because it can still be super useful, but has limitations and you have to put more thought into how you use it. If that's what is meant by "flying" here, then I'm all for it.

In the latest FAQ about campaign modules you can read:

- Add a new type of caravan -- like aerial transportation (Picture WoW-style gryphon rides, only with mounts that can be knocked out of the sky with projectiles!)

One small step towards PC flying I wonder ?

In the latest FAQ about campaign modules you can read:

- Add a new type of caravan -- like aerial transportation (Picture WoW-style gryphon rides, only with mounts that can be knocked out of the sky with projectiles!)

One small step towards PC flying I wonder ?

Be interesting to see what they implement with that, if simply siege will bring down the "caravan" or they would also implement ride-able griphons that would allow you to attack the caravan with your character as well.

On a completely off topic note other than flying, I hope I can ride my buddy the Legionnaire into battle :3. Just hop on his back and use  him as a mount.

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

Be interesting to see what they implement with that, if simply siege will bring down the "caravan" or they would also implement ride-able griphons that would allow you to attack the caravan with your character as well.

On a completely off topic note other than flying, I hope I can ride my buddy the Legionnaire into battle :3. Just hop on his back and use  him as a mount.

Both ideas sounds like alot of fun  :lol:

hm.... I could go with idk Dwarven Long Throw - if the physics and attributes allow it (more strength - higher impact modifier or w..e.). Even if not - could be a nice goal to kick someone as far as it is possible.

On a serious note:

Flying would be awesome if it is balanced in some ways:

• either differentiate ground and aerial (possibly naval) fights and limit them to special zones/special events.Like some guys have to take the airship down in order to shorten the supplies of the enemies or w.e.
  • or combine the different combats and balance them (flying speed ~ movement speed)

I mean Aion isn't the prime example of Air Combat but well... something like that could work.

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Since I am a pvp player and i joined this game community because of the PVP oriented game plan. I vote No for flying and gliding because from my point of view Flying is Anti-PVP. :P

I like how Forsaken Word does their flight. They have energy for flight and it is used based on the quality of flying mount you have. It was possible to "level" this energy bar to increase the duration which ACE could do as a skill that is trained passively.

This allowed Forsaken World to introduce flying world bosses complete with aerial combat.

I don't believe anyone here thought about aerial combat. Flight doesn't have to remove pvp in a pvp game. It can add to it.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Archeage and Shadowbane flight was fine.

The people that complained about gliders in Archeage were simply bad at Archeage PvP, it took a single ranged attack, which every character had access to, to ground a glider. The only way to avoid pvp with a glider was to start from an extremely elevated position, of which there were precious few in the world, and if someone decided to attempt to glide away from you off a cliff getting rid of them was trivial, you simply glided after them, and had anyone with the stealth tree (which was likely at least a third of your group anyway) drop flight in midair, use the extra range from the death mark arrow to pop them out of flight, then backdrop when close to the ground to avoid the fall damage at the bottom. if they were flying overhead, all you needed was any archer in most cases to float>dropshot.

Anyone who was so high you couldn't ground them that way, you just hopped on any mount and followed them until they were low enough to pop because gliders were slower than mounts.

More often than not people who tried to glide away to avoid archeage PvP just killed themselves with fall damage against any competant group, and pulling off a successful dropshot or ganking from a glider was an immensely satisfying part of that experience, and that game was very light on satisfying experiences.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"