Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Monkeh

I've Never Played An Mmo Before. What Chance Will I Have?

Hi there everyone. I'm an old school gamer but have never played an MMO before. I tried Guild Wars 2 for a few days but couldn't get into it. Crowfall looks and sounds different but I'm worried i'll be a useless noob forever doomed to get stomped on over and over as all you MMO veterans use your accumulated knowledge and skills from similar gaming experiences in the past.

So what chance do you think i'll have of having a good time in Crowfall? I can take a beating, (I play dota2 badly), so losing doesn't really bother me, but losing all the time will ultimately get frustrating. No guild will want me due to a total lack of experience and it seems to me I may struggle to enjoy myself over any length of time.

In some ways no MMO experience is better than the many, many, players coming from PvE driven titles with bad habits and false expectations formed there. You're going to get your ass kicked for the first month or two. You can either use that as an excuse to tell everyone you hate PvP titles and are bad at PvP or watch how they are kicking your ass, adapt, and then come back and kick their ass eventually.

Your choice.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

The thought of failing shouldn't prevent you from having a good time, especially with gaming! I think you're just beating yourself up here, especially considering we don't really know of the game's difficulty just yet.

Hello there!

Your post begs the question "Why are you here?"   and also  " What exactly kind of answer are you looking for?".   

The only thing I can guarantee , from my personal POV, is that I will die, over and over and over again, and more than likely love it!

Not sure if this is a troll post or not, tbh

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

It will depend on your mindset. More than likely you'll get crushed, repeatedly until the day you become the one doing the crushing. It's your choice to endure the game that far.

In a month or two of active playing you will be more or less on par with majority of players, that unless you are really slow.

Edited by rajah

Hello there!

Your post begs the question "Why are you here?"   and also  " What exactly kind of answer are you looking for?".   

The only thing I can guarantee , from my personal POV, is that I will die, over and over and over again, and more than likely love it!

Not sure if this is a player post or not, tbh

^^ This.

I played SB like a lot of this community has and I sucked at it.  I got keeeeled A LOT.  I still do on the EMU.  Its worse on EMU 'cause I haven't played in 10yrs and I can't remember anything. (Literally had to ask how the custard to make my toon move in the game. Damn click to move)   BUT, I still have a TON of fun.  I still /tell the people who PK me.  Last one was Coolwaters.  He stopped me from getting to R7, I was soo close!  Dangit.  

Even if you suck and get pk'd a whoooollleeee bunch, you can still have a whole bunch of fun.  Don't stress it, especially if you aren't someone who cares about dying in a game. :)   Also, welcome to the MMO world - you'll never look back.

Like I said I can take a beating and come back again. I like to learn and really enjoy games that test me. Kerbal Space Program is a particular favourite because it punishes mistakes and I had to learn to get anywhere, so having to work at becoming good is not something that will turn me off.

I just feel that if I came to a new online multiplayer FPS game with no FPS experience it would be difficult to ever catch up so when I think about all the mechanics and combos of skills and all the other things that I'll have to get to grips with its a little daunting. I like a challenge though so I definitely won't be giving up easily.

I'm actually quite excited to get a whole new game genre to learn about and attempt to become good at as long as having no experience doesn't hinder me too much.

I like the idea that having no experience could be a good thing. No bad habits to un learn and what not. That's what I'll concentrate on. A blank canvas becoming a masterpiece!

Heh. I won't hold my breath however.

:D

Edited by Monkeh

I played SB like a lot of this community has and I sucked at it.  I got keeeeled A LOT.  I still do on the EMU

^----- See ? it will be easy to catch up ;p

Edited by rajah

Like I said I can take a beating and come back again. I like to learn and really enjoy games that test me. Kerbal Space Program is a particular favourite because it punishes mistakes and I had to learn to get anywhere, so having to work at becoming good is not something that will turn me off.

I just feel that if I came to a new online multiplayer FPS game with no FPS experience it would be difficult to ever catch up so when I think about all the mechanics and combos of skills and all the other things that I'll have to get to grips with its a little daunting. I like a challenge though so I definitely won't be giving up easily.

I'm actually quite excited to get a whole new game genre to learn about and attempt to become good at as long as having no experience doesn't hinder me too much.

I like the idea that having no experience could be a good thing. No bad habits to un learn and what not. That's what I'll concentrate on. A blank canvas becoming a masterpiece!

Heh. I won't hold my breath however.

:D

Just go pledge some $$ so you can get early beta access ( or alpha) and then you'll have a leg up at launch.  ;)

Oh yeah, to answer why I'm here, I like backing interesting looking games on kickstarter and this does look damn cool, different and exciting. So I'm here for some fun times with nice people in a cool game. Aren't we all?

Edited by Monkeh

Since pre-alpha hasnt even started you have as much a chance as any to be great at the game.

Get into beta and come release you'll know everything you need to.

If you really want to get "better" at mmo's, i would suggest playing one in the time between now and alpha/beta, depending on which you get into.

Most mmo's have alot of similarities between them, mainly UI (L/J for quest log, M for map, i/B for bags etc), once you have that down the only advantage other people will have over you is game knowledge/previous PvP experience.

Game knowledge advantage shouldnt be a problem as you know as much about the game right now as anyone else, same goes with class abilities etc.

After that i would say try to practice movement in another game while you wait, unbind your S key instantly, bind strafe left/right instead of turn left/right, never walk backwards (unless your a tank kiting pve mobs), get a group to play with and learn together, practice/play some pvp in other games, some game knowledge carries over through every game (knowing when to go in or play defensive, keeping track of your/enemy cooldowns, knowing the limits of yourself personally, whether you think your good enough to 1v1 or 1v3)

If you do all that the only difference between you and anyone else will be how much you focus on learning about the game and getting better, for example;

We already know that the knight will have a 2-3 combo ability, come beta you should be practicing noticing the first initial attack from that combo and when you see it, backing off, aswell as all the other abilites from other classes.

or, run around like a headless chicken into anyone that comes and complain that their class is OP because you dont put in effort to be good

Edited by meed

Oh yeah, to answer who I'm here I like backing interesting looking games on kickstarter and this does look damn cool, different and exciting. So I'm here for some fun times with nice people in a cool game. Aren't we all?

We damn sure are!  Welcome to forumfall!

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Dollars have been pledged and iirc I have access to beta. Maybe I should dust off the old GW2 account and go get some practice. Cheers everyone. Seems like a nice community here.

Edited by Monkeh

Every mmo is different, Crowfall especially. Even veteran players still have to start from scratch and figure out what's going on for any new game they pick up. It can help to pay attention and learn as much as possible beforehand. But ultimately, no matter who you are, you just have to dive in and get your bearings.

As for "what chance you'll have", well there are different things you can do. If you want, you could be a crafter and try to avoid combat and leave that up to the folks you're supplying gear for. If you want to fight, there will be a good variety of different play styles and you're bound to like some more than others. Play more offensively or defensively as you feel comfortable with. "Power" levels out pretty early on, so you shouldn't have to worry about getting 1-shot-killed every time you step outside.

Guilds will always looking for members, especially in a game where it will be so important to have people watching your back. I'm sure you'll be fine. Most people, vets or otherwise, aren't really all that "pro". I'm surely not. Just get in there and try to put yourself in the situations you prefer to be in.

Dollars have been pledged and iirc I have access to beta. Maybe I should dust off the old GW2 account and go get some practice. Cheers everyone. Seems like a nice community here.

You just got lucky

He is already fooled..... 

Shhhhhhh.      Better that way :)