Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Monkeh

I've Never Played An Mmo Before. What Chance Will I Have?

Hi there everyone. I'm an old school gamer but have never played an MMO before. I tried Guild Wars 2 for a few days but couldn't get into it. Crowfall looks and sounds different but I'm worried i'll be a useless noob forever doomed to get stomped on over and over as all you MMO veterans use your accumulated knowledge and skills from similar gaming experiences in the past.

So what chance do you think i'll have of having a good time in Crowfall? I can take a beating, (I play dota2 badly), so losing doesn't really bother me, but losing all the time will ultimately get frustrating. No guild will want me due to a total lack of experience and it seems to me I may struggle to enjoy myself over any length of time.

Welcome to the club, I am not good with focus pvp, I just wanna play crowfall for fun and try to pvp more even if i am losing it's just a game and then seeing other people with their experiences tactics that you can use against your enemy in next match.

Adapt those experiences and try to use them, You might fail twice or even more but don't give up yet someday you will be good and win matches and lose some.

But hey It's enjoyment where to play with friends and having fun even if you're losing.

Winning always isn't fun, Losing at times is more fun while roaming in entire world with friends to get materials that be needed for upgrades to your personal EK.

So yea It would be hell a lot of fun.

Welcome to crowfall tho. 

Edited by Mox

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Gaming is gaming. If you are a gamer as you claim you will learn and adapt over time. Once you find your niche in the game you will play it well. If you can never find your niche then you will be easy kills/cannon fodder for the better players.

"But above all do not bind the anus all that there is congenial to your vision of paradise staff" - leonelion

Current ignore list because these people have no sense of reality or common sense: sheen, unknownxv, doomgrin, willwill, crowmagnonman, santa

Dollars have been pledged and iirc I have access to beta. Maybe I should dust off the old GW2 account and go get some practice. Cheers everyone. Seems like a nice community here.

Oh man. You drank the Kool Aid too quickly!

MMO's are generally built on the same archetypes. This one is PvP and Crafting Centric. Lets hope it is as fun as it looks and the design direction stays on course!  

PvP is about taking on challenges that are unpredictable. You take are players that have their own strategies in mind and compete with them and at time pvp gives people the thrill of a fun battle when you find someone who you can compete and improve with. Whether you have or haven't, I'm sure somewhere along the way you will find players who you are compatible with and can have fun with. You guys will collaborate with each other and improve each other's skills. In a way PvP is a form of interaction. I'd say you will love PvP nonetheless because there are so many ways you can play it and working as a team is also going to be another great experience. PvP is fun and I'm sure there will be people out there to guide you. I'm sure you will enjoy it so why not try it out.

And also, CF is quite different and even if you get stomped over, you will have a team or guild that will pick you up and help you grow. There are two ways to view things, keep telling yourself that you are a newb or get stronger with other people by observing them.

Edited by Eediom

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Hi there everyone. I'm an old school gamer but have never played an MMO before. I tried Guild Wars 2 for a few days but couldn't get into it. Crowfall looks and sounds different but I'm worried i'll be a useless noob forever doomed to get stomped on over and over as all you MMO veterans use your accumulated knowledge and skills from similar gaming experiences in the past.

So what chance do you think i'll have of having a good time in Crowfall? I can take a beating, (I play dota2 badly), so losing doesn't really bother me, but losing all the time will ultimately get frustrating. No guild will want me due to a total lack of experience and it seems to me I may struggle to enjoy myself over any length of time.

You will be fine, this game is made for everyone and doesn't require hours of grinding. I think you will be happy if you enjoy PvP.

jump in swinging your arms , swords hitting anything in your path, when u die... do it again.... if you get upset in cress beer intake to 2 cans per death until pvp becomes fun.    

The first time you killl someone Take a screen shot, its like the first time getting laid fond memory's :) ..... ( ok maybe not so much but still )

Finding some good people to talk to while you game to help you learn some stuff will go along way to your enjoyment as well, a good group/guild can make a poorly made socks game alot of fun. 

Eh, MMORPGs aren't that difficult to play. It more about spending the time learning all the custom systems, abilties, and culture. Some MMOs require much more collaboration than others, like Crowfall will. So just find a group of like-minded players and enjoy what you learn and do in game.

your success will be based on how soon you join a guild and how much of an asset you will become to said guild. PvP may not be your thing but farming may.. or maybe you're really good at ninjaing runes from the enemy.. or maybe scouting/reconnaissance is your thing. I'd recommend finding a guild to learn how to catch your footing. 

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

your success will be based on how soon you join a guild and how much of an asset you will become to said guild. PvP may not be your thing but farming may.. or maybe you're really good at ninjaing runes from the enemy.. or maybe scouting/reconnaissance is your thing. I'd recommend finding a guild to learn how to catch your footing. 

I dont think your success is linked to how soon you join a guild.. i think its linked to joining a guild you enjoy, being with people you enjoy and sharing a common goal. 

I dont think your success is linked to how soon you join a guild.. i think its linked to joining a guild you enjoy, being with people you enjoy and sharing a common goal. 

well that's kind of a given...

your success will be based on how soon you join a guild *YOU ENJOY* and how much of an asset you will become to said guild. PvP may not be your thing but farming may.. or maybe you're really good at ninjaing runes from the enemy.. or maybe scouting/reconnaissance is your thing. I'd recommend finding a guild to learn how to catch your footing. 

^ fixed

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Make sure you pick the Dregs, I heard it's going to be the easiest campaign for beginners. If you need help just find me in game.

-Trustworthy Forumfaller

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Make sure you pick the Dregs, I heard it's going to be the easiest campaign for beginners. If you need help just find me in game.

-Trustworthy Forumfaller

Actually, it probably will be.. well eventually anyway... in the beginning it might be the easiest but later in the game everyone in The Infected and God's Reach will get destroyed by people with Dregs gear/eq.

Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

-Trustworthy Forumfaller

Actually, it probably will be.. well eventually anyway... in the beginning it might be the easiest but later in the game everyone in The Infected and God's Reach will get destroyed by people with Dregs gear/eq.

The tri-realm God's Reach campaign format is expressly designed for new-to-MMO-players just like the OP.  By default, you will have 1/3 the campaign population as friends when you land.  Follow around the herd while you get your legs under you.  It will have a lower cost of entry (relative safety in numbers), and be less punishing on failure (inventory only loot drop).

This was a smart move by ACE to help create a long-term sustainable player base.

rSHxVEY.gif

The tri-realm God's Reach campaign format is expressly designed for new-to-MMO-players just like the OP.  By default, you will have 1/3 the campaign population as friends when you land.  Follow around the herd while you get your legs under you.  It will have a lower cost of entry (relative safety in numbers), and be less punishing on failure (inventory only loot drop).

This was a smart move by ACE to help create a long-term sustainable player base.

Though I can see how people will try to exploit the "tri-realm" campaigns by stacking on one side and steamrolling everyone else just for the loots.

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Though I can see how people will try to exploit the "tri-realm" campaigns by stacking on one side and steamrolling everyone else just for the loots.

Considering that VIP sub gives priority queueing, we know there will be lock-outs of some sort.  I expect the dev team is smart enough to figure out balancing techniques that include both hard limits (pop caps) and soft incentives (vault export rules / bonuses) to make these campaigns enjoyable enough to keep people playing.  Otherwise they are wasting a lot of money.

rSHxVEY.gif

^^ This.

I played SB like a lot of this community has and I sucked at it.  I got keeeeled A LOT.  I still do on the EMU.  Its worse on EMU 'cause I haven't played in 10yrs and I can't remember anything. (Literally had to ask how the custard to make my toon move in the game. Damn click to move)   BUT, I still have a TON of fun.  I still /tell the people who PK me.  Last one was Coolwaters.  He stopped me from getting to R7, I was soo close!  Dangit.  

Even if you suck and get pk'd a whoooollleeee bunch, you can still have a whole bunch of fun.  Don't stress it, especially if you aren't someone who cares about dying in a game. :)   Also, welcome to the MMO world - you'll never look back.

*High fives Coolwaters*

No MMO experience is likely a good thing for this game.  No experience outside UO/SB really applies and if you played both you are probably 30+ years old like me and will be worthless to the super active younger playerbase that will be the core of this game.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

*High fives Coolwaters*

No MMO experience is likely a good thing for this game.  No experience outside UO/SB really applies and if you played both you are probably 30+ years old like me and will be worthless to the super active younger playerbase that will be the core of this game.

Bah!  Coolwaters was all "MAL?"  Uhhh, nope, "Malrox" is not Mal... nope..  :huh:

Thanks all for your input, it sounds like noob players are being thought of which is nice. I'll probably just do what I normally do and jump in and learn as we go.

I'm a big fan of Kool Aid as my excessive backing of Star Citizen proves!

How to macros go down in the MMO community? I made a VoiceAttack profile for Star Citizen and thought maybe that kind of thing would be useful here too. Then I thought perhaps they are generally banned or frowned upon...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/153203/updated-voiceattack-profile-anna-v5-0-control-everything-with-your-voice/p1

Here's to having fun whatever. I'm sure I'll find my way. Thanks all.

Thanks all for your input, it sounds like noob players are being thought of which is nice. I'll probably just do what I normally do and jump in and learn as we go.

I'm a big fan of Kool Aid as my excessive backing of Star Citizen proves!

How to macros go down in the MMO community? I made a VoiceAttack profile for Star Citizen and thought maybe that kind of thing would be useful here too. Then I thought perhaps they are generally banned or frowned upon...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/153203/updated-voiceattack-profile-anna-v5-0-control-everything-with-your-voice/p1

Here's to having fun whatever. I'm sure I'll find my way. Thanks all.

CF looks to be a skill based game. Macros will probably not work and only handicap you as in skill set games, timing is important, and there is no "rotation". One fight may look entirely different from another, and how you apply skills in each fight will also change.

Until we have more information on the exact game mechanics, its speculation at best, but macros probably won't find a place in CF.

My advice, play another similar type of mmo first and decide then. Crowfall is the deep end of the pool, filled with hungry-ass sharks. Edited by helix