Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Monkeh

I've Never Played An Mmo Before. What Chance Will I Have?

Everyone here will die over and over again, this will be part of CrowFALL.

But you will also make other people die  over and over again, so there is that ^^

Just play some time, get used to  it and you will get good. It's all about practice and understanding the game over time.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

I wouldn't worry much. Legacy skill has little meaning here since this is an action MMO with no tab targeting and no healers.

The other thing is that numbers will matter and the truth is that you don't need much skill to run with a zerg. You rarely use more than a few buttons.

Experience only really matters if you plan to command a competitive guild.

This game might be for you as an intro to MMOs if you are like you said, into games that have PvP, just with losing standards. This game seems to be the merger between an MMO, minecraft and standard MOBA/FPS/Quick PvP games. If you are fine losing and maybe like games with survival aspects (I.E. Minecraft, Rust, etc.) then you might find yourself enjoying it. The big difference with MMOs is the downtime. It is much harder to take breaks since the game is ever expanding, and even though the campaigns end after some time, they will still go on for months at a time so you need to prepare for that. If you are willing to put the time in, you will be good, but if you are coming from DOTA, remember, there is a big difference of commitment between a 20 minute match and a 6 month match.

Hi there everyone. I'm an old school gamer but have never played an MMO before. I tried Guild Wars 2 for a few days but couldn't get into it. Crowfall looks and sounds different but I'm worried i'll be a useless noob forever doomed to get stomped on over and over as all you MMO veterans use your accumulated knowledge and skills from similar gaming experiences in the past.

So what chance do you think i'll have of having a good time in Crowfall? I can take a beating, (I play dota2 badly), so losing doesn't really bother me, but losing all the time will ultimately get frustrating. No guild will want me due to a total lack of experience and it seems to me I may struggle to enjoy myself over any length of time.

It's going to be a game.  Just play it and have fun.  No need to stress about it.

No guild will want me due to a total lack of experience and it seems to me I may struggle to enjoy myself over any length of time.

I think you'll be surprised. Eve Online, another full loot pvp game crowfall is often compared to had entire guilds dedicated to helping new players get off to a good start. Even if crowfall doesn't replicate that, I doubt many guilds would be put off by your inexperience, none of the guilds I've been with would have been certainly.

To be honest I think the only guilds you'd run into problems with are the super hardcore guilds, and they're boring anyway. :P

Hello there!

Your post begs the question "Why are you here?"   and also  " What exactly kind of answer are you looking for?".   

The only thing I can guarantee , from my personal POV, is that I will die, over and over and over again, and more than likely love it!

Not sure if this is a player post or not, tbh

I think i got an insight into your personality; Well I'll now know who to look for that enjoys being ganked as much as I enjoy ganking ;)

Funny story about being ganked, when I got ganked in ArcheAge, I decided to go into  Stealth and track the guy ganking me for a spill while he was going around doing quests (was in a level 40-44 questing zone), I waited till his health was low when he was fighting mobs, was down to 10%, this guys was a whole heap of levels above me (I was level 41, he was level 49) and was better geared.  I then struck, it turned out to be a hell of a fight, even low he nearly beat me.  But I still got him, then he came back for me with a buddy later, really disgruntled at me and got me.

Later that day I found the clown sitting between the two quest zone guards afk and still flagged.  I figured, I think this guy is being a little smarty pants and thinks he can lure people into attacking him only to then get pwned by the guards before they can finish him off.  Thought it would be funny did he?  Well ArcheAge has collision and you can in fact bump people... just like in EVE online, heh heh...

So I started pushing him out away from the guards, other players noticed what I was up to and thought it was absolutely hilarious, so they joined in.  When we all pushed him far enough away that the guards won't react and come defend him, we all killed him.  Hahaha, sweet wonderful delicious revenge. :P

It's moments like that you only get to enjoy in an open world PvP game.  As much as it sucks to be ganked, least you can return the favor one day.

That's just my experience in a game I consider to be inferior to what so far I've read what Crowfall would be like.  :)

In EVE you get even more options and a real sandbox experience, just like I assume Crowfall will be.

prepare to deal with the worst type of gamers aside from MOBA players ever, OP

Which ironically are fantastic and awesome people outside of the game when you meet them (oh and are usually polite to you in game.  

The best advice I can give you is that in games that have equipment loss from PvP where you can have your stuff stolen, is not to carry what you can't afford to lose, go out with the goal to have fun or to make a profit, but if you come home with nothing or came home after losing what you went out with, make sure it wasn't something you didn't want to lose to begin with.  As you play more and more and get to understand the game better and also in turn become more wealthy, that's when you can risk bending that rule.  But never brake it, the one thing griefers/pirates/playerkillers in games like this enjoy more than anything.. is tears, the one thing they dislike the most is people fighting back or making them look like fools.

So never ever sook or complain, or insult them or make threats, that means they got their jollies that day.  But always look for a way to strike back at them where it hurts.  That means, take from them what they took from you, embarrass them, go to war with them and so on, turn their seeking of fun into fun for yourself, often these people are not interested in full blown PvP, give them full blown PvP and they will leave you alone if their griefers, if their ordinary players however, congratulations you just made a friendamie (in other words a friend who you enjoy having fights in game with).   :P

And pretty much almost everyone in EVE Online with the exception of some anti-social miners and some griefers who fly around in stealth bombers are friendamies.

Also another thing you need to understand is respect, often these games revolve around respect.  You respect someone, they will often hesitate at deciding if they want to take you out and steal your things.  And in turn if you disrespect someone, they might hunt you down and take your stuff just to teach you not to disrespect them.

Edited by Synast

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Hi there everyone. I'm an old school gamer but have never played an MMO before. I tried Guild Wars 2 for a few days but couldn't get into it. Crowfall looks and sounds different but I'm worried i'll be a useless noob forever doomed to get stomped on over and over as all you MMO veterans use your accumulated knowledge and skills from similar gaming experiences in the past.

So what chance do you think i'll have of having a good time in Crowfall? I can take a beating, (I play dota2 badly), so losing doesn't really bother me, but losing all the time will ultimately get frustrating. No guild will want me due to a total lack of experience and it seems to me I may struggle to enjoy myself over any length of time.

Its all about who you play with.(that sounds dirty sorry..bad thorbeinn) Its all about the people you meet and have fun with. (OK that was better) I never thought I would RP in an MMO, but it is the most fun I have ever had. Its the people that make a MMO fun to play...you just have to find the ones that fit your play style best and the times you can get on the game. Edited by thorbeinn

We are All noobs to Crowfall. Even the Developers have never played it yet. You're in on the ground floor. 

Well, we all were noobs at some point :)

And no worries, plenty of guilds will want you. I'm sure a lot already spammed your inbox. My tip: don't join any of those clowns :D

Maybe others have a flatter learning curve than you, but they have habits to unlearn.

The biggest advantage we have over you is that we already associate with guilds.

Make some friends, there is strength in numbers, both on the field and in the practice yard.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I played competitive Team Fortress 2 for 5 years or so and really enjoy PvP. I'm always a polite and respectful as I find rudeness online to be massively immature and annoying. If I wouldn't say something to someone's face I won't say it online either.

A six month match sounds like so much fun and I can totally see me rushing home from work to get involved with whatever is going on at the time.

Collecting loot and then losing it won't bother me. That's just an excuse to play more right?

I definitely think I'll be wanting to find a nice welcoming noob friendly guild to interact with and I'm really looking forward to running found a world for a few months and building up resources and riches. It basically sounds like the MMO I've been wanting and waiting for. I doubt I'm alone in that feeling. Obviously there's a lot still up in the air at this early stage but I'm excited to jump in here and get involved.

I think I'll be needing a guild of mature people, as I'm over 30, who are up for fun times more than trying to be number 1.

Thanks everyone I really feel this thread has helped me understand how I might fit in somewhere and maybe even not be too much of a burden. Gaming's gaming basically isn't it. Press buttons and move around. Sure ill pick it up and eventually become useful somewhere.

Excitement grows :D

Edited by Monkeh

The best advice I can give you is that in games that have equipment loss from PvP where you can have your stuff stolen, is not to carry what you can't afford to lose

Haha, spoken like a true EVE capsuleer.

Also another thing you need to understand is respect, often these games revolve around respect.  You respect someone, they will often hesitate at deciding if they want to take you out and steal your things.  And in turn if you disrespect someone, they might hunt you down and take your stuff just to teach you not to disrespect them.

I completely agree with this. As long as you don't walk around being toxic and rude, you won't have a bad time.

Astaroth.jpg

Dollars have been pledged and iirc I have access to beta. Maybe I should dust off the old GW2 account and go get some practice. Cheers everyone. Seems like a nice community here.

The Dev's said they are wanting to do combat similar (but not a copy) of Tera.  My guild and I, that have interest in CF, have started playing Tera.  I can't tell you how many times I've missed while trying to hit stuff with my Berserker. The woes of being melee!

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

There will be learning curve, but there are usually newbie friendly guilds and guilds formed by newbs. So if you can find one of those groups you should be fine. After all it is all about playing with others in an MMO.

Find a guild. MMOs are social by nature. If your guild gets stomped, either stick it out if you really like the folks, or find a new guild and try again. The people you play with are the biggest influence on the game's fun.

CF_Van.png

Find a guild. MMOs are social by nature. If your guild gets stomped, either stick it out if you really like the folks, or find a new guild and try again. The people you play with are the biggest influence on the game's fun.

But by extension, don't force it. The best friendships you find in game usually come from interacting -in- games with people. You don't need to throw yourself into a situation where you don't know anyone.

Agreed. Start with approaching people whose guild posts appear to be in line with the types of folks you wish to play. I'd suggest playing other games with them in the meantime while waiting for this one to get to know them better. In fact, you may wish to do this with several groups simultaneously if your schedule permits it. No need to rush into the decision.

CF_Van.png

If you're just starting out, everything will naturally seem complicated at first. You need prob a week's worth of time of playing the game b4 everything (from the main controls to navigating the interface) will become automatically instilled into your head.

Death, of course, is natural for starters as well. Getting involved in the community helps A LOT because players do help each other out, albeit turning on each other's backs later cuz... CROWFALL 

xEaNvuV.png