Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thinking About Backing...but Race Restrictions...

are making me seriously hesitate.  The Duelist was really an archetype that interested me but being required to be a rat...uh no thanks.

I am sure this is probably not a popular opinion, but race and gender restrictions just seem so 2005.

Has there been any talk of adding more races to the current archetypes?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please read the developer comment here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6024-a-request-for-a-very-important-stretch-goal/page-3#entry151541   JTC makes a very clear and reasonable exp

Dear Swiftly   A couple of threads down (5 as of right now) there is a thread with over a thousand views, over 60 responses AND responses from the devs.   Here is a link   While I understand you

I'd play genderless stickfigures.... I really couldn't care less about these kind of restrictions.   Like archie said... if the other features don't convince you and this is what keeps you from ple

If you are uncertain about backing a huge amount, just pay 38$ for a copy of Crowfall and you can play it forever. I would still suggest you to play for the concept despite the fact that the race restriction doesn't suit you. 

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Thats kind of the point of crowfall, to go back to the ways of the MMO before the WoW era, with harsh restrictions and hard choices.

I mean I wouldn't say that is the POINT of Crowfall. If it were this would be a nostalgia trip game only.

As for the race restrictions, I was unsure about them as well until I realized that I loved Warhammer Online and remembered that it really does just had an awesome diversity to fights. It really doesn't matter if you're fighting a gnome, a human, or a big hulking orc - a warrior is a warrior and a ranger is a ranger. 

In Warhammer, I hated the look of the elves. I thought their robes and big hats were silly. But one day I played their Swordmaster (Tank or 2-handed DPS/Tank hybrid) and I fell in love with the character and grew to really enjoy the race.

Step outside the box man.

Just remember, races make it look different but classes make it play different. We already have 13 x 3 classes CONFIRMED. 

Edited by Deadman

Deadman; FIGHTER OF THE LIFE MAN, ooooAAAAH AHHHHH! CHAMPION OF THE... Oh. That's not how it goes...

http://www.twitch.tv/alt_delete - Alt Delete Gaming: Lose Ctrl.

Seeing a rat as a tank is way worse then having race restrictions. A monitor stalker? Uh no thanks. Also if you don't want to be a rat race then be a similar archetype but different race. There is going to be a very diverse selection of races and classes by the time everything is released, what we have now is the tip of the iceberg.

Actually, the race/class-concept is just as arbitrary a mechanic to faciliate player character creation as any other (including archetypes) is. Claiming that any of these is outdated is besides the point.

If you simply don't like it, don't back the game - yet.

Edited by Angier

More archetypes will be added over time, probably after CF launches.

The Devs stated intention was to include an archetype for every base class for humans and less for other races.

There will probably not be a human duelist. That niche would be called something else (like maybe rogue, scrapper, or buccaneer).

If stuff like this bothers you, just wait until you get ganked just for innocently exploring in the woods.

Will you quit when I take all your stuff?

Maybe a nice, safe themepark game would be your style, if you're so easily deterred from adventure.

You can always come back after the game is more polished, and the rest of us have things figured out for you. There will be room in a guild even then.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I mean I wouldn't say that is the POINT of Crowfall. If it were this would be a nostalgia trip game only.

As for the race restrictions, I was unsure about them as well until I realized that I loved Warhammer Online and remembered that it really does just had an awesome diversity to fights. It really doesn't matter if you're fighting a gnome, a human, or a big hulking orc - a warrior is a warrior and a ranger is a ranger. 

In Warhammer, I hated the look of the elves. I thought their robes and big hats were silly. But one day I played their Swordmaster (Tank or 2-handed DPS/Tank hybrid) and I fell in love with the character and grew to really enjoy the race.

Step outside the box man.

Just remember, races make it look different but classes make it play different. We already have 13 x 3 classes CONFIRMED. 

Glad to hear positivity. I had similar experiences but I realized that if I want to customize something, I can just get lego build my own stuff. I'm playing a game for its gameplay and CF has that so I'm going to put money on that.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I think if something as small as race lock is keeping you from backing then your not backing for the right reasons anyway.. THe idea's that crowfall allows in game is what the game is about and adds the depth to the game. While i understand wanting to mix class/races i think thats a small subset to what the game offers. 

Where other games officer you to mix race/class they limit what you can do in the world , CF is limiting your race/class but giving you almost unlimited control of the world.. 

Please read the developer comment here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6024-a-request-for-a-very-important-stretch-goal/page-3#entry151541

JTC makes a very clear and reasonable explanation about why this is a: financially necessary, and b: a positive for enabling archetype unique designs.

Edited by jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

allowing any race to be any archetype is stepping out of the box? lol.

No. Doing something you aren't used to doing is stepping outside the box.

That guy plays games with mixed race/class. I'm saying to play something without it.

Deadman; FIGHTER OF THE LIFE MAN, ooooAAAAH AHHHHH! CHAMPION OF THE... Oh. That's not how it goes...

http://www.twitch.tv/alt_delete - Alt Delete Gaming: Lose Ctrl.

are making me seriously hesitate.  The Duelist was really an archetype that interested me but being required to be a rat...uh no thanks.

I am sure this is probably not a popular opinion, but race and gender restrictions just seem so 2005.

Thanks in advance.

ACE has explained why they wont be doing this. It is cost prohibitive to offer each race the choice of each class. I used to hate certain races in games, but anymore, it is just a small aspect of the overall game. 

CF looks to be something entirely different than other choices out there, and if it means restricted race choices, that is a small price to pay for the end result.

ACE has explained why they wont be doing this. It is cost prohibitive to offer each race the choice of each class. I used to hate certain races in games, but anymore, it is just a small aspect of the overall game. 

CF looks to be something entirely different than other choices out there, and if it means restricted race choices, that is a small price to pay for the end result.

I think this is pretty important.  Doing what the OP is asking would double or triple the cost of this game, which would require them to sell more of the game which could jeopardize the direction.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Swiftly

A couple of threads down (5 as of right now) there is a thread with over a thousand views, over 60 responses AND responses from the devs.

Here is a link

While I understand you need to voice your opinion, I feel that finding information about the whys and hows of crowfall is pretty easy.

They are very open about their development and one of the last updates have focused on how to make a great game on a budget.

Edited by Cirolle

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015