Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Septimus

Archetype That Uses Shields For Attacks

An Idea that always rolls around in my head whenever a new game comes out is a type of figher that is heavy on the shield use, to the point that the shield is not just for defense but for attacks.

Duel weilding shields with spikes, captain america type throws with a bladed edged shield, and momentum weapons.

The momentum weapon would be a chain on the back of the shield (with spikes, blades, or rounded studs for bludgeoning) that allows some mid range with the character swinging it around

I think some interesting fighting styles / abilities could be made with the idea and give the shield a use other than upping an armor value or a single shield bash ability that is common in many games. 

Well, the reason why historical shields and armour generally never had spikes on, is because spikes actually catch blows that would otherwise have just slid off. A regular shield is generally held more or less parallel to the body, which is good because it means any force applied will go towards you, in a way that you can easily resist. If you put a spike on it, there's now a big perpendicular lever for someone to force your shield out sideways and open you up.

Chain weapons are already pretty awkward and nowhere near as nimble as swords or whatever. Adding one to a shield would only make both the shield and the weapon worse.

What I thought your post would be talking about, based on the title, was giving ordinary shields in a shield+weapon combo a few more aggressive options. Shields historically could be thrusted edge first into people, or you could shove with the flat side. They're essentially big sheets of steel, or wood, or whatever, so they make decent bludgeons.

I dont see how dual wielding shields wouldnt be awesome

it would be like a tank that may have hard cc but lacks in dps

perhaps even lending shields to others for a more support tank playstyle

Ok, if you're going to argue that dual wielding shields is lame because it's impractical, I'm going to argue that a Frostweaver is a silly class because clearly fire or air would be more powerful (I mean, being able to just suck the air out of someone's lungs pretty much instantly screws them).

Edit: to be clear, my sarcasm is intended to indicate that arguing the practicality of the weapons in a fantasy MMO seems at least somewhat pedantic.

Edited by theDoctor

Being practical about magic, freezing the blood in someone's brain would kill faster than suffocation, even partially.

As for exotic shields, it's just as practical as all the other impractical weapons, spikes and all, there are a lot of fantasy reasons a tank would want to capture blows instead of deflect them,since they are often providing defense for someone else, and wearing enough armor to need no shield themselves...

But I'm much more interested in shields being used as weapons, and two handed weapons or dual hand weapons being used to defend as well. They are specialized to provide different benefits, but they can all be used defensively and offensively.

The reason to use a defensive weapon (shield) along with an offensive weapon is that you can both defend better, but also attack better because your struggling less with your defense. You can also attack and defend simultaneously with two objects more easily.

But a shield is basically just as useful as a club or iron fist when you want to hit someone, so the defensive isolation it gets in games is stupid, especially when swords are used to spin attack and ground slam for damage, or hand attacks are being used to punch armored foes, the same quality of exaggeration should be added to shields, slamming foes 20 feet, ground slamming with shields, and punching with the shield. A Spartan shield tap has the same collision force of a compact car wreck... Nobody should be using fist weapons when they can strike with a shield.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

double-post

Edited by BurgundytheRed

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

aZgiCmN.png

Obviously, this is the lady Champion. I prefer spear or sword and shield.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

With a shield? You can go classic with a Gladiator or a Viking, or you can try with a pirate wielding a "buckler" though for a pirate archetype, I'd prefer pistols and cutlasses.

xEaNvuV.png

Actually, the first use of a shield in war has always been one of a WEAPON. A true shield user learns to bully others with the shield with shield slams, ram, pinches, pulls, denial of area, rushes, and virtually all other types of forceful movement. The sword in your other hand? That is for the killing blow after disorienting them with the shield, it is not the primary weapon.

If you think of a shield as a defensive thing, meant only to block and protect, you have been brainwashed by horrible game design. Shields have always been weapons. If you swing a shield and the shield edge hits an arm? That arm will shatter if it isn't protected by proper metal arm, deeply bruised bone if it is protected by chain. If you hit a head with the same motion? They are dead even with a grand full helm. This is the lethality of shields when used properly.

That said, duel wielding them is foolish.

Edited by Nempo

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."