Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inasyah

Zergs

I did not play Shadowbane, but for the guys that did:

was zerging a thing back then or how did they encourage making small groups of players instead of one big blob?

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

Zergs are relative. If some open recruiting guild brought 100 to your 60, the zerg is still relative. If you smoked them, they were noobs. If they slaughtered you, they were the zerg.

But early in Shadowbane's history (pre-china) it was hundreds of players vs. hundreds of players. Sb.exe, lag, and bugs/exploits slaughtered them all. If you got a relatively even numbered siege, then 100 v 100 was glorious. Now, that can be somewhat achieved on emulators, but only because of multi-boxers.

After China landed, it was quite typical for you to only muster up 20-50 players for a 5 am bane vs. 100-200 chinese. But they were largely skill-less. The problem was running out of stam and mana, as that usually led to your death rather than them killing you. Just too many hitpoints as a total.

Once China learned some skill (I have a gap between Entropy and emu's), the numbers meant more as they could zerg your city at any time of day with 100 players easy. They had no problem getting numbers at what was 5 am for them in order to take down your cities. And of course, they multi-boxed, too, making a large number of actives even more formidable, typically as they had way more scouts than anyone else and their boxes would be at different cities. That enabled them to siege multiple cities at once.

Now on emu's, people squabble over a difference of 5 actives (especially if those extra 5 are on the skilled side), because that means at least another 10 characters on screen. Like I said, zerg is relative. And never in the history of Shadowbane has anyone agreed about numbers, even with screenshots of ventrillo, nation /who's, screenshots of game, videos of the fights, -- all with time stamps.

But like freeze said, there was hardly anything that encouraged smaller numbers. Mines kind of did as you couldn't be everywhere at once, but that just meant the 10 guys guarding one mine are the same 10 actives guarding a 2nd and 3rd mine with extra boxes. There were some servers (like entropy) who definitely preferred 10 v 10's, but that was up to both sides.

Shadowbane really got to be epic in the 100 v 100. Nothing like seeing stack vs. stack with aoes on one side, stealthers picking off afks/boxes in another screen, meat rushes, etc, etc. Spec group vs. spec group was also good as shadowbane was even more complex than paper, scissors, rock, lizard, spock.

Most nations will do anything for the win. If you got to sub to win, most will do it, nobody wants to lose so they take the path of least resistance. The way they see it, why risk a city that you spend a month building up, for a chance to lose a 30v30, when you can call in favors and have a 100v30, as was just the case on emu with Tactical KAOS vs GoD. They already had 60ish bro's vs 30's, and still had to rely on about 30ish more from 2 other nations "crashing" the bane (camping the baned cities tree and saboing spires is not a bane "crash", that's open palm ball handling at it's finest.

Crowfall%20Fei.png

~Black Aria IC~

Most nations will do anything for the win. If you got to sub to win, most will do it, nobody wants to lose so they take the path of least resistance. The way they see it, why risk a city that you spend a month building up, for a chance to lose a 30v30, when you can call in favors and have a 100v30, as was just the case on emu with Tactical KAOS vs GoD. They already had 60ish bro's vs 30's, and still had to rely on about 30ish more from 2 other nations "crashing" the bane (camping the baned cities tree and saboing spires is not a bane "crash", that's open palm ball handling at it's finest.

As usual numbers of winners are encreasing at every post of the losers, on Sbemu forum it started from 40 and now here we are already at 90. Looking forward to see who will break the 100 first

Edited by cappaspada

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

Should be noted missing from your narrative is the part where GoD (or at least the ODB half of it) decided it was a good idea to come to With the Wolves Defensive bane vs Asia and sabo our spires and burn the nation warehouse while we were fighting Asia two hours before GoD's R8 defensive bane went live.

Had no interest in GoD's fight with Tactics, but you can thank Doon for inviting Wolves to crash your bane.

Probably a lucrative play by ODB while we were busy with Asia.  It in part cost GoD an R8 however.

Edited by angelmar

Should be noted missing from your narrative is the part where GoD (or at least the ODB half of it) decided it was a good idea to come to With the Wolves Defensive bane vs Asia and sabo our spires and burn the nation warehouse while we were fighting Asia two hours before GoD's R8 defensive bane went live.

Had no interest in GoD's fight with Tactics, but you can thank Doon for inviting Wolves to crash your bane.

Probably a lucrative player by ODB while we were busy with Asia.  In part cost GoD an R8 however.

Yeah....not much I can say to that.... :/

Crowfall%20Fei.png

~Black Aria IC~

Hopefully crowfall has some kind of anti zerg system.

I dont count on it though. A mechanic like that is a mindcustard to create i think. They also have server won conditions...soo it looks like there will be a few nations with like... hundreds of people at least.

ezgzn8.jpg

Hopefully crowfall has some kind of anti zerg system.

I dont count on it though. A mechanic like that is a mindcustard to create i think. They also have server won conditions...soo it looks like there will be a few nations with like... hundreds of people at least.

Just stick in 60 target AOEs, thatll take care of it.

Probably a lucrative play by ODB while we were busy with Asia.  It in part cost GoD an R8 however.

That was done as a test to see how fast we can sabo in and take out a spire. It worked but turned out to be horrible timing on our part as it was a contributing factor to losing a city. On the other hand we scored an awesome new sub, shout out to winterblades homies!

It was a joke, no one seriously thinks a 60 target aoe reduces a zerg. Just like people assume a 60 target AoE is a one way street.

this is changing next patch, apparently banes are too much of an AoE fest now. Balance is hard lmao.

Zergs could be slain in SB.  I think the same may prove true in CF.  At least, I think by the basic design genius behind CF, even small player groups will make an impact on the larger war, wherever they are.

tumblr_opi65cphh71v5mc1xo1_400.png