Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kroanus

Let's Talk Tactics And Cooperative Play

The problem I see with most MMOs today are the fact that you can play pretty much solo throughout the entire game until end game content and you really only need other people to raid so if you just join up with a raid group every once and a while you can limit your interaction to people in an MMO. This is a mistake to me. I really want to see Crowfall encourage player interaction the the necessity of gameplay. 

For instance, if an assassin kills a guild leader, that guild suffers a penalty while the guild that did the assassinating gets a bonus. Mages working together can cast fog on a fortress increasing sneak, or maybe if you have summoning, multiple high level druids can summon a large beast to attack a keep. Maybe in campaigns there is no world chat, so you need people who can use telepathy to communicate across long ranges. Ineffective because of team speak, but a good mechanic for those early games before people are in hard core guilds. Even creating portals could be a specific job. Maybe a spy type ability that can mark enemy player movement for their team. Maybe a bomb making ability to blast holes in the wall.

That way, teams are not just compromised of tanks, healers and dps, but of unique skills and abilities that all contribute to the plan and an overall strategy of the guild. Wouldn't it be amazing to see guilds use a specific team to utilize the skills of multiple members at once?

Same for the keeps and maybe you have sacred ground! For instance a keep built in an ancient forest, if you have the druids to do it can summon an ancient tree ent type spirit to defend its borders. This now gives property value to certain players over others, which makes territory another reason to fight and a reason to explore faster. 

Just a few ideas :) Go ahead and contribute, shoot down, etc.

People here are usually against actual mechanics to force group play, or reward strategy. The way we see it, better players will group up and figure stuff out, the bad players won't. We don't need a system to tell us that killing some guild's guildmasteris a good idea. Also, this game is pretty group centred. You aren't supposed to be able to solo.

As for the other stuff, a lot of it has already been recommended.

I made a topic recommending local chat only in campaigns: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3661-local-chat/

Multiple people working together on one spell is here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4316-tandem-casting/

And here's a massive discussion on portals and fast travel: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4256-fast-travel-reframing-the-discussion/

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

Crowfall campaigns are about factional warfare. This isn't a game where you can accomplish anything meaningful by soloing monsters for 3 hours a night. The design of the game inherently fosters cooperation and teamwork; no artificial incentives are needed.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

The problem I see with most MMOs today are the fact that you can play pretty much solo throughout the entire game until end game content and you really only need other people to raid so if you just join up with a raid group every once and a while you can limit your interaction to people in an MMO. This is a mistake to me. I really want to see Crowfall encourage player interaction the the necessity of gameplay. 

The encouragement in this kind of game is that you're out solo doing your thing and me and nine of my friends kill you because you're alone. Now you want revenge, but you're all by yourself. Maybe you can gank an afk or find one of us solo from time to time, but realistically regardless of skill level there is very little that you as a solo individual can do to impact us as a guild whereas we can hunt you down at leisure. If you had a guild, we might not have solo ganked you to begin with if we had good relations with your guild or if it benefited us to not pick a fight with the people who had your back at that point in time. And if we don't care about that stuff and kill you anyway, you can put the call out in guild and have your 20 closest bro's come hunt down our ten. 

So game mechanic wise there is no need for specials powers that operate on a group level because in an open PvP world, believe me... you're going to have ample reason to not want to run solo.

pKWaYh4.jpg