Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seventhbeacon

The Pve Fallacy

I've noticed a trend where many will refer to anything that's not actively Players Killing Players is called PvE. This is incorrect. Crafting is not PvE. RP is not PvE. Player vs. Environment is limited to combat against AI-controlled enemies, NPCs.

Crafting is crafting. It can be modeled to focus on a PvE or PvP function, but it is not inherently PvE simply because in order to build a sword you can't be killing people right at that moment.

RP is an activity and in most games, not a direct game function. It's a behavior, not PvE, not PvP.

Does Crowfall have some PvE? Yes, there are obstacles to complicate the PvP game and provide some threat. The PvE starts and ends with the hunger, zombies and creatures that populate the worlds.  Does this make Crowfall a "PvE game too"?  No, not in the slightest.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I have noticed that too. However pVE is more than just fighting against mobs. It can be the whole environment as it is part of the name. Let it be simple obstacles or trap. to more complex mechanisms for raids, etc.

All in all - nice post

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

kdQyAH7.jpg

Uh, oh. Was that your sand castle?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I've noticed a trend where many will refer to anything that's not actively Players Killing Players is called PvE. This is incorrect. Crafting is not PvE. RP is not PvE. Player vs. Environment is limited to combat against AI-controlled enemies, NPCs.

Crafting is crafting. It can be modeled to focus on a PvE or PvP function, but it is not inherently PvE simply because in order to build a sword you can't be killing people right at that moment.

RP is an activity and in most games, not a direct game function. It's a behavior, not PvE, not PvP.

Does Crowfall have some PvE? Yes, there are obstacles to complicate the PvP game and provide some threat. The PvE starts and ends with the hunger, zombies and creatures that populate the worlds.  Does this make Crowfall a "PvE game too"?  No, not in the slightest.

Good Post and worth repeating.

I have noticed that too. However pVE is more than just fighting against mobs. It can be the whole environment as it is part of the name. Let it be simple obstacles or trap. to more complex mechanisms for raids, etc.

All in all - nice post

True, other in-game obstacles, even those annoying jumping challenges in GW2, is PvE. Though most MMOs don't really have traps or environmental effects, I would say the monsters make up 99.9% of all PvE content.

Btw, I'll also add that quests are a layered function on PvE to make it more palatable or give it some definition or meaning, but quests don't automatically mean PvE either unless they involve some combat challenge against an AI (Kill 10 rats.)

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

While i agree, i think alot of people on this forum take wording a bit too literally, maybe its because we have no solid information to theorycraft or discuss over, so every post gets read x amount of times over and picked apart but, PvE has become a general term for anything not PvP related (quests, jump puzzles, raids, dungeons, nearly anything).

There will be alot of players (ones that havent experienced a "harecore" or "oldschool" mmo) playing this game that will use the pve term in the way i've mentioned and if its already annoying you (because thats the only way they know how to use it, or have seen it used), before alpha on the forums, i feel like your gonna have a baaaad time ingame.

2cents

Edited by meed

While i agree, i think alot of people on this forum take wording a bit too literally, maybe its because we have no solid information to theorycraft or discuss over, so every post gets read x amount of times over and picked apart but, PvE has become a general term for anything not PvP related (quests, jump puzzles, raids, dungeons, nearly anything).

There will be alot of players (ones that havent experienced a "harecore" or "oldschool" mmo) playing this game that will use the pve term in the way i've mentioned and if its already annoying you (because thats the only way they know how to use it, or have seen it used), before alpha on the forums, i feel like your gonna have a baaaad time ingame.

2cents

Hence the need to educate. Everyone will get a different sort of schooling in-game, lol.

Had to get that off your chest huh? +1 for agreement.

LOL!   I think there is less of an emphasis on interpretation of the term  and more on INTENTION of why more of term is being asked for continually. Be it PVE, crafting or RP in the EK, the intention seems to be  to lessen the risk in the risk vs reward scenario.    More PVE seems to some to equal less PVP.  Or that is their hope.

My .01 cent

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

LOL!   I think there is less of an emphasis on interpretation of the term  and more on INTENTION of why more of term is being asked for continually. Be it PVE, crafting or RP in the EK, the intention seems to be  to lessen the risk in the risk vs reward scenario.    More PVE seems to some to equal less PVP.  Or that is their hope.

My .01 cent

There is only so much pie to be shared between the two after all. You can't just make a bigger pie.

Every new PvP focused game gets bombarded with PvE focused players who want to carve out their own slice.

The same goes for every new PvE game, but strangely it is to a much lesser extent.

I will never understand anyone who tries to enter a place and ask for something else that isn't being offered...

It is like going into a bank and asking for a burger and fries... that is the level of stupidity people engaging in this activity share.

Edited by Adall

Every new PvP focused game gets bombarded with PvE focused players who want to carve out their own slice.

The same goes for every new PvE game, but strangely it is to a much lesser extent.

I will never understand anyone who tries to enter a place and ask for something else that isn't being offered...

It is like going into a bank and asking for a burger and fries... that is the level of stupidity people engaging in this activity share.

I need to go on the FFXIV forums and complain that the PVP isn't enough for me. I cannot believe how stupid they are for not catering to my PVP needs. Don't they know the more features they have the more attractive their game becomes to more people? It can't be just about the 100 dungeons and 300 pve zones. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!!11!!! PKers are people too!!

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Please let me know where you set up your lessons so i can make sure no one gets ganked there...

Hah! I'm sure there will be a fair share of ganking, but the PvP is unavoidable in the campaign worlds. The lesson will totally be above board, it'll just seem harsher to some more than others.

Psh.

But don't you want my money?!

Hmm could the PvE be associated with the voxel technology as well? I mean technically the environment will be shaped from the Hunger and War and Economy...

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Hmm could the PvE be associated with the voxel technology as well? I mean technically the environment will be shaped from the Hunger and War and Economy...

Voxel tech is just a tool. If the environment is laden with pitfalls and threats due to it, sure, but if you're talking about planting bases, unless creatures can also knock your sand castles down, it won't be PvE related.  The environment has to pose a challenge or threat to you apart from any other player involvement to be PvE.

Voxel tech is just a tool. If the environment is laden with pitfalls and threats due to it, sure, but if you're talking about planting bases, unless creatures can also knock your sand castles down, it won't be PvE related.  The environment has to pose a challenge or threat to you apart from any other player involvement to be PvE.

Right. That would be a nice idea actually.

Well when you say the environment has to pose a challenge or threat, first thing comes to mind is fall damage from a cliff or tower or lava. Explosion shrapnel and crater impacts with rocks flying out to injure people, or boulders loaded onto trebuchets  landing on you, or the boulder smashes into a wall and the wall falls on you and injures you, made possible by the voxel tool. Stuff like that.

Edited by Lastboy

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg