Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seventhbeacon

The Pve Fallacy

Right. That would be a nice idea actually.

Well when you say the environment has to pose a challenge or threat, I think about fall damage from a cliff or tower off the bat or lava. Explosion shrapnel and crater impacts with rocks flying out to injure people, or boulders loaded onto trebuchets  landing on you. Stuff like that.

I think risky climbs and falling damage could qualify.  But if it's someone pushing you off a ledge or firing the trebuchet, it's PvP. Players are using the game to hurt you.

Natural events could be cool, or large wandering creatures that tear a huge hole in the wall of your fortress.  I think if warmth/food is a game mechanic that can be considered a layer of PvE complication as a factor to influence your play.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I've noticed a trend where many will refer to anything that's not actively Players Killing Players is called PvE. This is incorrect. Crafting is not PvE. RP is not PvE. Player vs. Environment is limited to combat against AI-controlled enemies, NPCs.

Crafting is crafting. It can be modeled to focus on a PvE or PvP function, but it is not inherently PvE simply because in order to build a sword you can't be killing people right at that moment.

RP is an activity and in most games, not a direct game function. It's a behavior, not PvE, not PvP.

Does Crowfall have some PvE? Yes, there are obstacles to complicate the PvP game and provide some threat. The PvE starts and ends with the hunger, zombies and creatures that populate the worlds.  Does this make Crowfall a "PvE game too"?  No, not in the slightest.

This just chimes in on everyones need to understand that Crowfall is Crowfall. Not JUST a PvP-/PvE-/Crafting-/Themepark-/Sandbox-MMO. These genre thinking is harmful in keeping features in their confined environments instead of making best use of them.

Is Crowfall pvp-centric? Absolutely! Is it nothing BUT PvP? Heck, no!

This just chimes in on everyones need to understand that Crowfall is Crowfall. Not JUST a PvP-/PvE-/Crafting-/Themepark-/Sandbox-MMO. These genre thinking is harmful in keeping features in their confined environments instead of making best use of them.

Is Crowfall pvp-centric? Absolutely! Is it nothing BUT PvP? Heck, no!

That's essentially what I'm saying. Crowfall is a PvP-centric game, and just because it has elements of PvE in it, those element, everything, is built of the core PvP and strategy game, so it is in fact not a PvE game.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I think idea is to use the best of both without the fluff quest log and arrows. Essentially using features from RPGs,RTSs,and MMOs to create a super game. I am to totally ok with PvE elements that complicate the campaigns.

Edited by Joziah09

Why are people scared to label this game as a PvP game? When you try to say there are other things to do, you sound like to want to not PvP or you might want to bring more folks on board who don't like PvP. Seems like a a bad idea all around.

Embrace the PvP!

I wonder if this thread will accomplish anything more than the active 11 page PVE thread just a few down. Can't ever have enough.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

player vrs voxels

so that makes pvp, pve, pvh, pvv, pvc

There you go man, it's the totally new thing to do now~ Such innovate, much wow~

We gotta get outside the box, break all the preconceptions wew lad wew

Keep the ball rolling we're onto something here

2db72ah.jpg

Edited by Lastboy

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I wonder if this thread will accomplish anything more than the active 11 page PVE thread just a few down. Can't ever have enough.

Constant exposure to the facts will hopefully help it to sink in.  Not 100%, people are just too stubborn and illogical for their own good, but enough to stem the tide? I hold out hope.

player vrs voxels

PvDeDeDe it what it feels like some days.

For that we would need a controversy. Like someone comes here and claims that conquering territories is PvE because territory is part of the environment.

First and foremost is the fact that Crowfall is PvPcentric.

Crowfall will certainly have other elements of PvE, crafting and RP. Crafting, will naturally be a huge part of PvP.

As I see it, Crowfall is trying to combine these other elements to PvP to keep everyone happily engaged.

It has drawn a strange mix of gamers, not normally co-habiting with each other.

However, eventually the gamers that have come here to avoid PvP, will become bored,with so little "other" content.

These non PvPers, have been warned so many multiple times over, yet I am more than sure we will see them whinging about not having enough to do when the game goes live.

It's a frustrating conundrum, that will inevitably keep raising it's ugly head, by ignorance.

player vrs voxels

Yes, whatever you wanna call it but you won't be able to escape the fact that PvP will be the main content.

lol imagine actually posting serious posts in this topic

Serious posts about this topic is still very necessary, because there is still many people, that believe that Crowfall will keep them engaged in non PvP activities.

288mqgz.png