Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seventhbeacon

The Pve Fallacy

Constant exposure to the facts will hopefully help it to sink in.  Not 100%, people are just too stubborn and illogical for their own good, but enough to stem the tide? I hold out hope.

How do you even survive outside of your guild thread? Is there a flame-retardant suit you have to put on?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Honestly the only way people gonna learn that there is direct competition with every facet is to kill them over and over.

Drill it into their heads with your sword, your bow and your magic. Boy you gonna learn.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

PvP grognards get drawn to these games and they are always poorly made socksty dumb whiny babies who like to think they are super hardcore because one time they accidentally killed someone in a video game and view any kind of modern MMO quality of life features as "c*arebear"

then there are also people who see this type of game that is clearly not designed for them (PvE babies) and want to add a bunch of poorly made socks that doesnt really make sense in this type of game

what im saying is that hardcore PvP sandbox MMOs have the worst communities aside from MOBAs

Edited by eonwe

gtlLXYT.png

Boy you gonna learn.

You gon learn today. Alright, alright, alright.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I'm starting to enjoy this conversation more and more ;).

How do you even survive outside of your guild thread? Is there a flame-retardant suit you have to put on?

I just pick my battles, ignore most of the scum, and throw the occasional targeted punch when it suits.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

PvE new definition; Player vs Everything.

Perhaps, Crowfall could be the first to redefine the meaning of PvE after all. :P

I like the idea of coming up with a new term since this pvp focused, limited pve is just going to get more and more popular

i just post badly, recognize that you are all people on the internet ive never met and dont care about, and try to make myself laugh

preemptive i hope you make yourself laugh because you dont make anyone else laugh post

gtlLXYT.png

i just post badly, recognize that you are all people on the internet ive never met and dont care about, and try to make myself laugh

I have enjoyed your recent posting spree, though I had nothing witty to add to them.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

what im saying is that hardcore PvP sandbox MMOs have the worst communities aside from MOBAs

Ahaha that's a bit of a stretch. There are no worse communities than the top two MOBAs bar none.

The difference with sandboxes is that you have the option to wreck your teammate(by association of faction) for not shutting up or being whiny or just because you don't like them. I've shot people in the head in Planetside 2/Rising Storm for not exercising common sense. They get mad and come at me again, then I just keep shooting them in the head until they get over it, but they never learn....which is great.

We all need the lemmings to grease the wheel. Just with their blood. I think even the developers made the intention clear that they wouldn't be handholding bad decisions like a campaign that allows you to import gear but you chose not to for example. If you're part of the traditional PvE crowd, then you would definitely have to adjust your thinking to Crowfall's pvp oriented play. Even the PvE elements in Crowfall are in direct competition with other players, which makes it PvP.

Player versus Everything, that's perfect~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

[...] what im saying is that hardcore PvP sandbox MMOs have the worst communities aside from MOBAs

The MOBA design, which generates tension and frustration, is more to blame imo for the players behaving poorly than the community being naturally "worst" than other communities.

It's quite hard to have a pure player versus player campaign that lasts for several months. Pure PvP games are usually have very short durations like 5-30 minutes (example: SDGO, pure PvP). For games with almost no non-player characters like Smite will probably last up to 1 hour. It would be illogical to expect Crowfall to create long duration campaigns with PvP only. As much as how PvE is very mechanical and predictable, a certain amount of PvE can help keep the PvP games going and it undeniably adds more ways for players to play the game (instead of having to spend in game cash for upgrades, you get to tame pets, loot items from POIs, etc.) For the amount of PvE that CF is providing, I think it's quite healthy.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Well, yea there's obviously going to be downtimes. Which is why you go build for the next big war. But you have to realize that what you're building is resources and that's a competition.

There are going to be smaller skirmishes, quiet and relatively peaceful areas with co-operative resource gathering (still pvp) for a moment before it erupts into a fight for land over time.

It's all still PvP. Doesn't necessarily mean PvP has to be an active ongoing onslaught kill em all burn em all siege warfare that most people linearly think of.

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Oh oh.. I love being able to add my worthless opinion to worthless discussions.  :P

PvPcentric is a really stupid term.  Does anyone call WoW PvEcentric because it has some pointless PvP thrown into it's game?  No, It's simply a PvE game.

There may be some non-PvP things to do in Crowfall but make no mistake about it.. just about everything in the game is there to facilitate PvP.  So it IS a PvP game.

Crowfall = PvP game

WoW = PvE game

Darkfall = PvP game

Eve = PvP game

Shadowbane = PvP game

SWG = PvE game

DAoC = PvP game

GW2 = PvE game

GW2s WvWvW = PvE game   :o

Edited by boogiee

I've noticed a trend where many will refer to anything that's not actively Players Killing Players is called PvE. This is incorrect. Crafting is not PvE. RP is not PvE. Player vs. Environment is limited to combat against AI-controlled enemies, NPCs.

Crafting is crafting. It can be modeled to focus on a PvE or PvP function, but it is not inherently PvE simply because in order to build a sword you can't be killing people right at that moment.

RP is an activity and in most games, not a direct game function. It's a behavior, not PvE, not PvP.

Does Crowfall have some PvE? Yes, there are obstacles to complicate the PvP game and provide some threat. The PvE starts and ends with the hunger, zombies and creatures that populate the worlds.  Does this make Crowfall a "PvE game too"?  No, not in the slightest.

Crafting is often a PvE activity, though. Gathering resources, playing the market and using the goods is often PvE or PVP, depending on the game. I'd be interested in seeing a game where the crafting itself involves a form of player vs player competition. Not that I don't think it exists, just that I'm interested in seeing how they approached it. 

PvP activity is activity actively opposed by other players. PvE activity is opposed by mechanical game systems. The E in PvE doesn't stand for "Monster" because "Monster" doesn't start with an E.

A crafting station is just as much a part of the environment as a Large Rat is. Unless I have to outstitch another player in real time to get my tunic done, crafting is a PvE activity.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully