Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
masterofspelss

Storyline vs No Storyline

The story should be made by the players, just like agelmar stated above.

What I DON'T want to see is a story like every other mmo where you are some super hero who saves the world. Sounds cool, but then you realize... Everyone else has the exact same story!!! "When everyone's special, no one is". How does that mix together in a persistent universe? Everyone is basically running around with different looking versions of the same character. May as well be playing a single player RPG. Its really immersion breaking to see thousands of people playing through the same story - not to mention... A story that is usually all instanced, scripted, impossible to lose, and has absolutely no affect on the world.

So personally I would prefer no story at all, makes the world feel more alive.

I wrote this in another thread. It might help further the conversation here.

You could actually use this to further the story.  So often we get little cut-scenes with the "and if you fail young warrior......our town....our lives....our world will never be the same".  Yet nothing ever really happens.  If you fail the quest you just redo it, then go onto the next one.  What if EVERYONE where in the story.  We are all told theres a darkness is comming blah blah blah.  Everyone is so concerned about killing that other guy for the farm wagon of gold he has. No one notices the hordes of mobs stacking up strategically around cities.  They start making sorties and small skirmishes here and there.  Still no one pays attention to that, just feeling uber for going 2 on 1 with a buddy on some guy 10 levels below them. Hey its not my problem; I'm here for PvP and for taking others' gold; IM HARDCORE.  They dont notice the little shrines that are popping up around the land. They dont notice the change in weather/elemental cycles. Hey I'm all about PvP the carebears will handle it. One day you log on and the sky is on fire, its pitch black and raining ash.  Theres a hole in the ground with crazy looking mobs you've never seen before pouring out of it.  In the distance you see a 200ft tall Cthulhu knocking over mountains and stepping on entire villages. Let Cthulhu be dev controlled and it be up to the relm to either find a way get to and defeat Cthulhu or every will suffer to  be driven to madness and made to serve as Cthulhu's slaves.

To make it ever evolving you could have a whole mythos involved.  Cthulhu keeps Argoth the Impailer in check in his relm of eternal torment.  Now that Cthulu is dead Argoth tries to make his rise or imbed his will on the world.  Each god or dark entity could have their own methodology of effecting the world.  Each have his own unique desire of what they want to effect on the world.  Then everyone has to take notice on whats going on around them in the world.  Hell even make it so players could join the "dark side". It would have to be specific things you have to do to help your chosen entity enter the land and help carry out their will. Then you can involve the PvP players who only want to PvP to get involved in the story side.  Those who just want to craft now have to get involved or risk their character no longer having a place to live.

I personally feel a good storyline adds depth to a game.  Well thought out storylines draw you into a game, at least they do me.  They give me a purpose and a motivation to play a game, to see where it goes.   So yes please, a great storyline to intrigue us and trigger our imaginations.

Storylines in MMOs that are trying to be emergent are very difficult to create. Too much railroading and a player disconnects from the story because they are being forced. Not enough guidance and the player wanders away from the story. With no storyline at all, the world becomes just another sandbox.

It's also hard to make a storyline that changes the world permanently. You will always have players that missed out on the event, or that liked it better before the change, or that are discovering the world for the first time after the events have already happened. It's all well and good to allow the players to permanently change your world if you only have a small group of persistent players, but much harder to manage a group of millions of them.

Everyone wants their own story, but they want it on their timeline. Single player games are ideal for that kind of thing, MMOs are not. I'll be very interested in seeing the take on the storyline in this one.

I have to agree with the idea of the only story line is created by the players.  Especially if this is a seiging/pvp game, than it is literally ripe and built for it.  Whether it's a guild pride thing or a realm pride thing, let us make the story not the other way around.  I wouldn't be against a single story line that you can follow if you so choose, but any story should be about the players.

I had my own story in shadowbane. I made a Mage assassin and than when out to the forest found 5 players from enemy alliance grinding. I surprise 1 of them and killed him, than I when invisible, the rest of them ran around like chickens, thinking there was more than one me. I hunted and killed them all. If they have known it was only me, they could have killed me, but the area was heavily forested and me poping around made them think there was more than one.

That is my story, pure unscripted fun... I have more stories from shadowbane and till today I still remember them cuz they are very special and unique. Funny part is it is an event but it sticks to my mine. I have grinded dungeons in wow, gw2, SWTOR, etc... But I don't remember any of the dungeon grinds... all forgotten.

Another story I remember in shadowbane was my guild was defending our city and we were 20 vs 40+ enemies, the wall was breached and things was looking real bad. Fortunately, our ally guild members logon from work and they came in time with 20+ and surprise our enemies from behind while we were defending the wall breached. You can't describe the feeling when our allies came, we would have lose our city and they came in the nick of time.

So many untold stories in shadowbane,...

Edited by huangye

What's the point of having a story teller as game designer if he can't tell some stories?

I'm all for a immersive story line that carries us along different pathways according to decisions we make in the game. I'd love to see epic PvP encounters happen due to convergences of groups in the story line, too. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

I want there to be lore and I want the world to change regularly. If you count that as "storyline" great. If there are quests, they should reference back to the lore. But I do not want an overarching "storyline" quest line that walks you through the game, as so many do. This is not a one player game.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I want there to be lore and I want the world to change regularly. If you count that as "storyline" great. If there are quests, they should reference back to the lore. But I do not want an overarching "storyline" quest line that walks you through the game, as so many do. This is not a one player game.

Exactly, good lore in an MMO is far more important than a good storyline to me.

The reason I played WoW for as long as I did wasn't because of the themepark quests, or the imbalanced PVP, or the treadmill raids; it was because I loved the lore of Warcraft. It was a world I wanted to be in.