Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thenebrosity

All Campaigns Must Have A Time Limit Regardless Of Winning Condition + Finite Resources Per Campaign

Each campaign should require a timer no matter what the winning condition is.

Campaigns that do not have a campaign timer will be exploited by trolls and Uncle Bobs who can decide when the winning condition is met and force everyone to keep playing.

The only way campaigns without timers might work are if you make it so each campaign world has a finite amount of resource that can be harvested (no incentive to keep people on the same campaign other than trolling).

IMO, every campaign should have a finite amount of resources.. hence the whole dying worlds thing... it'll also create PvP and an incentive to get everything fast and move on.

Either-way though, if there's no timer I will definitely do my best to make the campaign last as long as possible.  XD

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Think they already covered the idea of time limits existing anyhow.  They already stated that campaigns will operate under various pre-specified time frames for how rapidly the world decays/progresses toward winter and the hunger.

◄ Jaguar / Tasho ▬ Knights of Glory and Beer ►

Master of Useless Darkfall Physics Spells and Originator of Shrapnel/Begone Jumping

wYG89dW.jpg

Really well-designed victory conditions should be able keep the seasons changing without timers.

Players should not be able to see the timer in most campaigns.

Visible countdown could be an optional campaign rule (and likely to be unpopular).

I liked the OP because finite resources are so important IMAO.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Really well-designed victory conditions should be able keep the seasons changing without timers.

Players should not be able to see the timer in most campaigns.

Visible countdown could be an optional campaign rule (and likely to be unpopular).

I liked the OP because finite resources are so important IMAO.

Limited resources just make it worse for those who aren't in super guilds. It is already bad enough...

NO to finite resources. Have you played a game with finite resources? I have, it's as much unbalanced as it gets.

NO to time limits in non-predefined factions rulesets. Quoting myself from another topic:

We all know Crowfall is different because it's built on non-permanent servers, but making them time limited is a greater issue. Groups of players will instantly quit campaigns when they lose their first meaningful fight or get slightly disadvantaged, new players would just wait for new campaigns to start and thus the "server stagnation" problem is doubled instead of being resolved.

Solution: Crowfall campaigns need to feel like normal MMO servers, where you can join at anytime and still have an impact on the world.

Nobody should see the end coming until the last days or weeks at most.

How? No time limit, no accumulating victory points, unique rulesets shards (there should be enough to cover EU/NA population though).

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Timer would break the immersion I think. I'm not even sure that there are clocks in Crowfall or any kind of reference to our time measurement units.

Not for me. The hunger is real and I can't stop it. My goal and curse is to watch the world die while picking it clean. Such is Crowfall, as I read it.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

NO to time limits

NO to finite resources

enough with this sh1t

It took me a while to see the value in both of the things about which you're yelling, but they are core to the game and your post is equivalent in some regards to yelling about too much PvP in a game designed to be PvP. I think hard time limits are more important than limited resources, however.

Edit for your edit: hypothetically yes, but I am hoping this is what late beta seeks to ask and answer: what can be done to make the game enduring and incentivize players to play the campaign to its end. I see your point and recognize it as accurate, thanks for clarifying.

Edited by mctan

Not for me. The hunger is real and I can't stop it. My goal and curse is to watch the world die while picking it clean. Such is Crowfall, as I read it.

And the timer would be part of the Crowfall World? Or only in the UI? How are the Archetypes supposed to know, from an RP point of view, that the World will get eaten by the Hunger in exactly 13 days, 12 hours and 43 seconds?

And the timer would be part of the Crowfall World? Or only in the UI? How are the Archetypes supposed to know, from an RP point of view, that the World will get eaten by the Hunger in exactly 13 days, 12 hours and 43 seconds?

It can be background. I'm not claiming to want to know the timer precisely, but I should know that when winter comes, the world's death is not far behind and begin to act and plan accordingly.

Edited by mctan

It took me a while to see the value in both of the things about which you're yelling, but they are core to the game ...

no they are not.

and your post is equivalent in some regards to yelling about too much PvP in a game designed to be PvP.

no it isn't.

What has been clear since the beginning is that Crowfall is made for ex-Shadowbane (and similar) kind of players, in the tentative of avoiding past mistakes that lead to server stagnation. Time limits and finite resources are entirely opposite to this goal.

I wish you played H1Z1 in the first month when resources were finite and only 24/7 nerds had weapons and ammos. It's the death of competition.

Time limits are as bas as it gets when you're trying to avoid server stagnation in a Risk kind of game lasting months.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

It can be background. I'm not claiming to want to know the timer precisely, but i should know that when winter comes, the world's death is not far behind.

Yes, I agree with you on this, that the universe could be "timed" to expire, I just don't want to see a countdown timer in my screen.  :P

no they are not

no it isn't.

I wish you played H1Z1 in the first month when resources were finite and only 24/7 nerds had weapons and ammos. It's the death of competition.

And time limits are as bas as it gets when you're trying to avoid server stagnation in a Risk kind of game that last months.

Well that's why I commented on your edit. Non-permanence is different than hard time limits, but I thought you were asking for permanent campaigns. The Risk analogy falls short in many ways and this is an important one: you cannot be eliminated from the game by other players (except in a FFA perma death). My point is to incentivize the game so staying active til the end even if you know you're going to lose is better than leaving early (harsh penalties, as proposed by devs).

How to combat the early leave part? To be determined. I'd guess some combination of making early losses not compound too harshly, maybe diminishing leave early penalties that are brutal at the start, and a little bit of knowing it's going to happen regardless of what devs try to implement.

I see why it was confusing, sorry.

The Risk analogy falls short in many ways and this is an important one: you cannot be eliminated from the game by other players (except in a FFA perma death). My point is to incentivize the game so staying active til the end even if you know you're going to lose is better than leaving early (harsh penalties, as proposed by devs).

How to combat the early leave part? To be determined. I'd guess some combination of making early losses not compound too harshly, maybe diminishing leave early penalties that are brutal at the start, and a little bit of knowing it's going to happen regardless of what devs try to implement.

I bet you're thinking mostly about non-Dregs campaigns. I am talking about Dregs campaigns.

There's no penalty that's gonna keep Dregs-only players (ex-Shadowbane, ex-Darkfall players and so on) from leaving. They don't care about EK, exporting resources or whatever. Server stagnation will happen with time limits... if that's the case then just let us have our own shadowbane server.

Anyway, comparing Crowfall to Risk isn't brilliant, but it's the best comparison there is...

Players that get knocked out in Risk are players without holdings, and that's because Risk is a simple tabletop game. If it was possible to have players fight, ally and conquer nations without holding one, it would surely make Risk better. But Risk isn't an MMO so there's no reason to make that happen. ;)

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I see why it was confusing, sorry.

I bet you're thinking mostly about non-Dregs campaigns. I am talking about Dregs campaigns.

There's no penalty that's gonna keep Dregs-only players (ex-Shadowbane, ex-Darkfall players and so on) from leaving. They don't care about EK, exporting resources or whatever. Server stagnation will happen with time limits... at that point let just us have our own shadowbane server.

Anyway, comparing Crowfall to Risk isn't brilliant, but it's the best comparison there is...

Players that get knocked out in Risk are players without holdings, and that's because Risk is a simple tabletop game. If it was possible to have players fight, ally and conquer nations without holding one, it would surely make Risk better. But Risk isn't an MMO so that's no reason to make that happen. ;)

I'm actually considering non-perma death dregs too. I am an ex-Shadowbane and ex-Darkfall player in a guild that is the same, and we will definitely not leave the shard because we lost something at any time during the campaign, even with absolutely no penalty. You are talking about players unwilling to work to win or unwilling to recover after a loss. These players and guilds exist and will not play the game long, regardless of what devs do.

I'm actually considering non-perma death dregs too. I am an ex-Shadowbane and ex-Darkfall player in a guild that is the same, and we will definitely not leave the shard because we lost something at any time during the campaign, even with absolutely no penalty. You are talking about players unwilling to work to win or unwilling to recover after a loss. These players and guilds exist and will not play the game long, regardless of what devs do.

Lots of players will, if there's a new Dregs campaign starting in X months.

Nobody should be able to predict the end until it's really close (which means no time limits).

And that's not the only reason why time limits suck, btw.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I think it has to have a pre determined time to end... Before you go into the campaign the god your fighting for can inform you something like... we have to pull our soldiers out in x amount of weeks/months before the hungry consumes the world.