Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astaroth

Who Is Actually Planning A Dedicated Crafter?

^^^this

This is what we know from Art Craft's FAQs and comments:

• All the archetypes start with combat skills
  • The gap from rookie character to maxed out character is not going to be as steep as in other MMOs
  • Player Skill will matter more than in most MMOs

Yeah, it you want to win 1 on 1 PvP duels against the top, maxxed out characters in the campaign, a dedicated crafter is probably going to lose. But, they are hardly defenseless and in group battles I expect we will see them being viable combat characters. 

Agreed  :)

Something peaceful about running around mining all day watching movies. Unless of course you're ganked the whole time.

Yeah, I'm not seeing CF gathering as peaceful movie-time.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I really like gathering in games and not so much on the crafting side. Something peaceful about running around mining all day watching movies. Unless of course you're ganked the whole time. Ha ha. 

This gave me a good laugh, thanks! I've spent plenty of hours gathering in games, zoned out to movies, so I can relate. :)

When I first heard about Crowfall, and began to read up on the game, I was very excited for the role of crafting. I haven't been a full time crafter since SWG. I've tried, and I like crafting a lot, but haven't had the satisfaction to do it full time since those days. Crafting was the direction I was first looking at in Crowfall, though after spending time now absorbing the discussions here, I have to say I'm excited for some combat as well. The dangerous aspect to crafting in the campaigns sounds exciting, and may prove to tip the balance to myself becoming a full time crafter, though I'll have to wait and see how the game develops to make up my mind. I'm certainly looking forward to more information on the crafting and gathering systems, and how they will play into the game.

Are you calling me a PKer? :'c Please, I'm a priestess of Mother Church~ I would expect your mercy when the Hunger overtakes you, would you do me such a disservice~

Sheepdog-style? Never heard of that, is that a new school of kung fu? :P

What are you planning on doing in the campaigns as a crafter? Just curious.

No no! I hope you aren't a PKer   :D

That's my rule though, I'll only sell to or craft for people who are of the more pleasurably social sorts. I'll reserve the right to decline or, er, dispense special teas to remedy the presence of interlopers. (I have an entire story for this Druid, which involves a tea emporium, hedge-riding, and assassination.) 

Sheepdogs = Players who go after PKers and other troublesome trucks. 

I'll play a support role in campaign, Druid, but part of my support will entail crafting for my crew. I'll casually roll with my teen and his scurvy lot, at least 3 of us out of 12 or so are crafters, but I also have plans for a small, elite, campaign team. Think GIRL POWER. 

I also plan to make a Confessor and a Centaur for the arse-kickin' pleasure. 

It's all about balance.

Hail and Well Met, Priestess.

Blessings of the Mother to you,

Iridian

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Not necessarily. The idea of a "dedicated" crafter is an actual playstyle they recommend. Basically using all of your discipliens, runes and skills to perfecting crafting. What I mentioned of using one discipline to dabble in blacksmithing or whatever is a "casual crafter", meaning you will craft, just not hardcore. The dedicated crafter they want are people who sit in an EK, obtain resources from other players and devote all their time and energy in game, to crafting and selling. The casual players will have fun outside of their shop, but the dedicated will spend more time in EKs crafting and selling than ever even stepping into a campaign.

Very close. The one thing you misrepresent is that they will not be sitting in their EK. Dedicated crafters will be needed in campaign to keep the front-line fighters equipped and repaired.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Very close. The one thing you misrepresent is that they will not be sitting in their EK. Dedicated crafters will be needed in campaign to keep the front-line fighters equipped and repaired.

It takes a village...

I am hoping to have a Blacksmith character.  Then Wilhelm's Forge can reopen again.  Hopefully I can get in a group willing to supply materials.  Otherwise my other two characters will be the suppliers. 

I think the disconnect might be that the term "crafter" is being used differently by different players. When I use it, I include all those other ancillary activities under the umbrella of "crafting". So for me, "crafting" isn't solely about dropping a few items into a slot and pressing a button. For interesting systems (SWG was the king), there are all manner of other activities and connected tasks that need to be done in order to "craft" effectively. I would suggest that a "dedicated crafter" by default will be doing all the other things (I hope) we need to do to be an effective crafter. Hardly a boring activity. Especially for people who like that kind of thing.

I suspect most of my crafting will be in the Dying Worlds, but until we get a lot farther along in the game's development, it's hard to predict. If the EK turns out like I hope, there will be a strong mercantile game to participate in there too.

I, for one, realize that "crafting," in its entirety, can entail a lot of effort. However, the gathering-and-crafting-preparation processes having intricacy/complexity and the actual act of crafting (that you're undoubtedly going to have to repeat a billion times, no matter how you look at it) having at least some degree of intricacy/complexity are not mutually exclusive. Combat allows you oodles of skill training decisions, equipment selection decisions, character creation decisions (archetype, advantages/disadvantages), class promotion, weapon style, etc. THEN, you still get to go into actual combat and actively put all those decisions to use. You don't JUST get to decide all that stuff, position your character along with others, then watch battle simulations play out. "Some dice rolled, you guys lost 100 people, but took the keep. WOOHOO!". No, you do it. And, yes, a city siege/assault takes a while, while killing a stray wolf who's between you and a Mine takes a lot less time. Either way, it's more than a button-click's worth of a decision. You don't click "Kill wolf." You just go DO it. That's pretty much the main reason people don't go around saying "Oh my carp... I had to fight like 10 times today! Ugh...", yet you hear people all the time saying "I'm SO sick of making copper armor pieces! I just want to make something better!". Usually, it's just so they can have the item, and not because they enjoy crafting. And if they DO enjoy crafting, they might enjoy all that planning until they figure most of it out. Then, they just say "Oh, I wanna make a mostly-accuracy bow, with moderate damage and boosted crit chance? Okay, here's the materials I'll want to use, in these proportions." Now what's left? For every subsequent day of your crafter's life, he gets to pick a formula he's already hashed out, and click a button. WOOHOO!. It'd be even better if, like, you had to stare at a 10-second loading bar each time, and there was just a random chance you'd fail or succeed. YEAH! Now we're talkin'! /sarcasm...

Long story short, having intricate crafting preparation is way better than having 5 material types and a super-rigid tree of linear recipes, but neither of those makes the actual act of crafting any more fun. At the very least, wouldn't it be great if you got to do all that cool, in-depth crafting stuff, THEN actually got to control, in some manner, the actual outcome of your crafting process itself? "Okay, I spent 5 minutes picking out all my materials for this, because I chose to be that picky and not because crafting just-plain takes 5 minutes every time in this game, and now I'm going to try to craft the item." You probably don't want it to just be a static result, every time. "100 crafting skill? I craft it, and it's 10% better, because 100 crafting skill." So, there'll be some RNG. Well, now that's adding tediosity to the system when you've already spent that time figuring out a good formula you want to use, acquiring the materials in the first place, etc., and now, BOOM!, you failed, or the item is sub-par, because randomness. So, at the very least, it'd be nice to control that dynamic range of final product quality, within a limited context (you CAN get a +10% quality every time, but it's not easy to do every time.). Rather than just watch math mathematize.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

A dedicated crafter with the exception that I will go out and kill people when I feel like it/need to do it.

1508.gif

Spoken like a true hardcore. Is..is it possible? Crafters CAN be hardcore?

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

People were always surprised when my miner killed them in UO.

Mining was his only crafting class skill though...

You were just trying to gather their head ore.  ^_^

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I would love to be a crafter. I seem to enjoy it in every game I play but for the most part I join too late to be a good one and can't sell my lower level stuff to advance easily. Weapons would be my favorite but metal armour would be sweet too!

I am hoping to have a Blacksmith character.  Then Wilhelm's Forge can reopen again.  Hopefully I can get in a group willing to supply materials.  Otherwise my other two characters will be the suppliers. 

YES. All I really want is for someone to say "Oh... You have an [Astaroth] made sword? Damn those are rare and awesome..." How cool would that be??

Astaroth.jpg