Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Swg's Dynamical World (By Raph Koster)

Oh lordylordofentbuffs I'mma scared to click that link.  What if it's another mea culpa post?  How much more confessionals can I take from the SWGgy folks?  First the Tyrant now Raph, it's all too much.

Getting my Yoda plushy and filling my Star Wars Burger King glass full of ice water and heading in. 

EDIT: It's a great read!

Edited by oridi

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Only a little self-flagellation in this one.

It's a good read on the challenges the dev team faced and the solutions they came up with in creating the large planet maps in SWG.

Every single blog he puts up makes me wonder why in the hell NO ONE has tried to make a game with all the elements that made SWG great PLUS the stuff that didn't make it in.

eEvERiW.jpg

Every single blog he puts up makes me wonder why in the hell NO ONE has tried to make a game with all the elements that made SWG great PLUS the stuff that didn't make it in.

Well there was the "hey SWG fans you're gonna love our next game and you can come home again" announcement that SOE made in early 2014.  Finding link - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/28/soes-next-game-dedicated-to-star-wars-galaxies-fans/

Of course SOE then became Daybreak in February of this year and no word since. Poorly made socks.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Well there was the "hey SWG fans you're gonna love our next game and you can come home again" announcement that SOE made in early 2014.  Finding link - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/28/soes-next-game-dedicated-to-star-wars-galaxies-fans/

Of course SOE then became Daybreak in February of this year and no word since. Poorly made socks.

I'm pretty sure that post was referring to H1Z1 - which is friggin' hilarious. 

Yeah, that Smedley guy is a riot. First he is in the top brass when they decide to kill SWG, then he suggests H1Z1 will be the long-awaited home for SWG refugee's. What an asshat.

eEvERiW.jpg

Oh, and on topic - I really can't get enough of this series Raph Koster is posting. Everyone should be reading these.

I've been enjoying these articles as well. A lot of information posted by Raph, and many answers to many of the questions I've had for years.

If you've always wondered about the inner workings of SWG, and what went down (and sadly what didn't), seriously, check these articles out on Raph's site.

Read it last.

'Nobody could actually run at max detail and get a decent framerate...'

This one gave a laugh. :) True, true. I remember that. Made me actually upgrade my rig.

Also these articles make me think that game was way ahead of its time.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

And they ask why oldfags so oldfags, heh. After all I read about it I wonder why the hell I played SWG so hands-down. Maybe my intuition tried to help me avoid everything people has been through with that game? But I do not... Ah, nevermind. Anyone who experienced SWG to its fullest will of course look down upon modern MMORPGs and of course won't shut up how good it was.

But I am much more intrigued with concepts that were introduced, but not implemented or cut. Gosh, I wish someone could build something like that.

All that marketing dance with MMORPGs nowadays is just... So meager. Bloody 'money makes the world go 'round' forces a lot of things become cheap simplifications or just never reach fruition. Things they did were grand. Glorious. And budget was not that big. And even not making everything they had in mind they made a game so great.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1