Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
youma

Voxel Farm Receives An Update For Unity 5

Smooth tune :) Now I'm all chill. 

Voxel Farm is Minecraft grown up. This is gonna be awesome!

I'm totally buying a Voxel Farm Creator license for my tween. 

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

The one thing I really saw missing from the video was physics affecting structural integrity. 

That used to bother me as well. I've come to realize that Voxel Farm is just one part of the game engine. It puts voxels into the world and gives them their appearance. It's not it's job to give them material and tensile strength. Some other game system will need to do that.

So the question is if Crowfall will provide us with a type of realistic structural simulation where it models forces and stresses or if projectile X does Y damage and the whole thing collapses after taking Z amount of damage.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

That used to bother me as well. I've come to realize that Voxel Farm is just one part of the game engine. It puts voxels into the world and gives them their appearance. It's not it's job to give them material and tensile strength. Some other game system will need to do that.

So the question is if Crowfall will provide us with a type of realistic structural simulation where it models forces and stresses or if projectile X does Y damage and the whole thing collapses after taking Z amount of damage.

Yeah, definitely possible to outside of Voxel, but it would be a great extension of the technology to include that kind of simulation so developers don't need to code it themselves. It'd be hard to think of game that wouldn't want to define at least some part of their structures with that kind of model.

ncLez59.png

Not happening.

Can*

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

Can look back in the old announcement threads when they first talked about Voxels for the Dev posts, but they said they can change the weight and behaviors of objects. So its very likely they can and will make it not so floaty as we see in these tech demos.

Can look back in the old announcement threads when they first talked about Voxels for the Dev posts, but they said they can change the weight and behaviors of objects. So its very likely they can and will make it not so floaty as we see in these tech demos.

I did a couple google searches and see that Miguel is specifically working on structural integrity, and it was partially working as of February 24th of this year, but still needed a lot of polish, and would be 'coming soon'. 

Good news for us.

ncLez59.png

I don't think we'll see a 1:1 simulation of actual material physics in the game's structural integrity. BUT, I don't think we need to, either. Just, have material A have a higher structural integrity than material B. Then, have the structural integrity value determine how much of it needs to be in-tact before it breaks/collapses.

I know it's more complicated than that, but I'm sure the organization of the voxels already helps with that (instead of having to measure how much wall is going to collapse, etc.).

I will say that, especially for construction/repair purposes, I hope there's some kind of warning/weak middle ground between "this bridge/archway is totally fine!" and "OH NO IT'S ALL FALLING DOWN!". Maybe you can see it start to sag/crack in places, and you'll know it's under a lot of stress.

For a game, it's more important that the systems support gameplay than it is that they perfectly simulate reality. The simulation of reality is an ingredient in almost every system of a game, but... well, you don't just make a cake out of pure sugar, now do you? :)

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I don't know a lot about about Voxels, but everything seems so "Chunky", you know when things break in real life, they shatter, crumble, collapse, snap... Voxels just kinda chunk apart from what I have seem

I really like the technology and the implications from what I understand of it, especially from a game play/strategic point of view, but will we see some cooler aesthetics in terms of actual destruction.

Edited by DjSpinLaden

^ I wonder if, instead of entire voxels (or clusters of them?) sort of visually/physically dislodging and falling out of structures like big stone, sometimes a stone block's worth of voxel could crumble? Even if it's still just a single entity falling off, maybe the animation/visuals generated from it could be a crumbling effect, until that block just deteriorates and is gone?

I don't really know much about the under-the-hood stuff, either. But, it seems feasible, at least.

The tool they're using in the videos, though, to show the destruction of voxels on structures, is a bit spherical "brush," methinks. It appears as though the voxels they're dealing with are quite a bit smaller than, say, Minecraft's block grid. They even say that in the overview video when talking about the voxels. So, they shouldn't be limited to large chunks, I wouldn't think.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I don't know a lot about about Voxels, but everything seems so "Chunky", you know when things break in real life, they shatter, crumble, collapse, snap... Voxels just kinda chunk apart from what I have seem

I really like the technology and the implications from what I understand of it, especially from a game play/strategic point of view, but will we see some cooler aesthetics in terms of actual destruction.

The things you see on their page misses all animations, effects and stuff. It only serves as a visualization of what you can do with it.

Edited by Dwayna

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC