Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astaroth

List Of Crowfall Gods

Yes, you should take some time and go focus on what actually matters.  There are more important things than a video game, we all understand.  Take as long as you need.  Don't know why you put that here, though.  An announcement like that usually goes in the Off-Topic board.  You should go over there and take a peek.

Good point.  No more replies to your derailment.

To the thread...

So for the gods, I think they play the biggest part in most games.  Any game I look at, I love reading about polytheistic pantheons.  They are so much more colorful and give you a good insight into motivations and folklore of the people.  Now since Crowfall is so PvP centric, I am afraid gods will be nothing more than banners, but that is okay.  I think games do much better when they focus on a strength than try to appease all (A different topic to be sure).

What I really like about the backstory (and gods) is they have worked in game mechanics as world functions.  Characters being able to rez as actually represented as "immortals sent by the gods" in the storyline.  Player grubbing for resources is represented by our god-given mission to reap the souls and materials before the Hunger consumes it.  The beauty of this set-up, is players end up roleplaying at its based form whether they admit it or not.  However when it comes to gods, we all will fall under a god of tyranny, because we will do what it takes to win.

Edited by Doomgrin

Entropy is not what it used to be.  I am a servant of The Nothing.. The Hunger!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

Good point.  No more replies to your derailment.

To the thread...

So for the gods, I think they play the biggest part in most games.  Any game I look at, I love reading about polytheistic pantheons.  They are so much more colorful and give you a good insight into motivations and folklore of the people.  Now since Crowfall is so PvP centric, I am afraid gods will be nothing more than banners, but that is okay.  I think games do much better when they focus on a strength than try to appease all (A different topic to be sure).

What I really like about the backstory (and gods) is they have worked in game mechanics as world functions.  Characters being able to rez as actually represented as "immortals sent by the gods" in the storyline.  Player grubbing for resources is represented by our god-given mission to reap the souls and materials before the Hunger consumes it.  The beauty of this set-up, is players end up roleplaying at its based form whether they admit it or not.  However when it comes to gods, we all will fall under a god of tyranny, because we will do what it takes to win.

Given that the gods will impact your goals and alliances in all but one of the Campaigns I would say that it is a bit more than just banners.  Additionally, the idea that a choice of Gods has no impact on the game because it is a PvP game lacks even the pretense of imagination.  The only server that lasted from beginning to end of Shadowbane was full of guilds and players who made meaning from those choices themselves.  They used a story to create their own and shape a server based on that.  Later with the loreset server it became a part of many of the charters, dictating the race and class of your members.  

To your point about the backstory, JTodd already spoke about how the premise of the world of Shadowbane resurrection was to justify respawning.  And as he said, no one cared.  

"god of tyranny"...You practice that?   :rolleyes:  

Er, what's "edging"?

Illara the Cat's emblem is a dead rodent. She's the mouser of the gods.

Guineas beware.

That emblem makes much more sense to me now jihan. From the first time I saw the emblem it looked like a rodent sleeping in a nest at the base of the tree. When I heard yesterday that Illara is the cat, I was wondering about the choice of emblem, and wondering if it would change, being as this is all early on. A dead rodent makes sense to me now, a mouser of the Gods, and ties in well to the cruelty that we see in the lore update yesterday.

Given that the gods will impact your goals and alliances in all but one of the Campaigns I would say that it is a bit more than just banners.  Additionally, the idea that a choice of Gods has no impact on the game because it is a PvP game lacks even the pretense of imagination.  The only server that lasted from beginning to end of Shadowbane was full of guilds and players who made meaning from those choices themselves.  They used a story to create their own and shape a server based on that.  Later with the loreset server it became a part of many of the charters, dictating the race and class of your members.  

To your point about the backstory, JTodd already spoke about how the premise of the world of Shadowbane resurrection was to justify respawning.  And as he said, no one cared.  

"god of tyranny"...You practice that?   :rolleyes:  

PvP based games, might = right.  Morality is hardly practiced as it is digital, and people love to do things in the digital world they would not in public.

If the god's actually provide in-game tangible goals, then that is a much better set-up and would be much more interesting.  However right now, seems there is no direct correlation/limitation placed on God choice and archetype.

Edited by Doomgrin

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

PvP based games, might = right.  Morality is hardly practiced as it is digital, and people love to do things in the digital world they would not in public such as ranting, crying unfairness on a forum, commenting on specifics they can only speculate on, attributing power to someone that had no say in a matter.  Therefore a choice of god's more of mood than morality.

If the god's actually provide in-game tangible goals, then that is a much better set-up and would be much more interesting.  However right now, seems there is no direct correlation/limitation placed on God choice and archetype.

As for your jibe at Tyranny, I prefer adults conducting according to the predefined rules, and representation of officials (paid or otherwise) to be the paragons of that.  Politics has zero to do with anything and demonstrates poor reading comprehension skills.

You didn't read any of what I said did you?  Admit it, it's ok.

That last bit was weird and I wish you'd stay on topic, I'm not sure what you're talking about here?  And paragons?  Who says paragons?

Edit:  just realized you were maybe talking about RPing a paragon of your hivemind God in-game.  Legacy, God of Propriety and Journalism.  Is it Journalism or Reporting?  I can't remember the semantics?

Edited by gharvi

Er, what's "edging"?

I do hope gods are more than window dressing.  Yes it divides the teams in faction on gods wars, but the background to the gods has no bearing on mechanical goals.  I think (on some campaigns as least) different goals based on character creation choices (other than who's team you are on) would make for interesting gameplay.  However you now have an Apples-to-Oranges system to try and determine the winner of which presents a development challenge.

Edited by Doomgrin

Maybe you guys could both start PMing each other?

You are right.

So has anyone heard (links preferred) on the god's having tangible goals/impacts within the campaign?  I am very interested in how they work lore into more than window dressing in a PvP game.

You are right.

So has anyone heard (links preferred) on the god's having tangible goals/impacts within the campaign?  I am very interested in how they work lore into more than window dressing in a PvP game.

As I stated before, most campaigns other than Dregs have alliances, membership, and goals dictated by choice of gods.  The 3 faction ruleset and the 12 faction ruleset.

Er, what's "edging"?

As I stated before, most campaigns other than Dregs have alliances, membership, and goals dictated by choice of gods.  The 3 faction ruleset and the 12 faction ruleset.

That is true.  What I am referring to does the God of Justice have different campaign goals than the God of Murder (as an example)?  Having goals specific to the god's domain(s) is what gives the gods more than a name.  Right now I see nothing more than a name (for gameplay reasons)  Once in campaign, it really could be God A thru God K for all that matters mechanically.

When Malekai found the carcass, he was sorely displeased. 44 He affixed the head of his pet to the body of Julan the fallen hunter, 45 and spoke the Word of Life into this vessel. 46 He sent the Bullman hunt D’Orion to punish him for his arrogance. 47 And so, too, did he send the sons of Julan 48 and the son’s of Julan’s sons.

49 and Akron said to Malekai, “Why must you do this? Why give chase to my son?” 50 the trickster God replied, “This is my lifegift. The hunter must never forget how it feels to be hunted.”

All hail Malekai.

When Malekai found the carcass, he was sorely displeased. 44 He affixed the head of his pet to the body of Julan the fallen hunter, 45 and spoke the Word of Life into this vessel. 46 He sent the Bullman hunt D’Orion to punish him for his arrogance. 47 And so, too, did he send the sons of Julan 48 and the son’s of Julan’s sons.

49 and Akron said to Malekai, “Why must you do this? Why give chase to my son?” 50 the trickster God replied, “This is my lifegift. The hunter must never forget how it feels to be hunted.”

All hail Malekai.

Grudge lasts forever and ever and ever, amen and amen and amen.

Er, what's "edging"?

That is true.  What I am referring to does the God of Justice have different campaign goals than the God of Murder (as an example)?  Having goals specific to the god's domain(s) is what gives the gods more than a name.  Right now I see nothing more than a name (for gameplay reasons)  Once in campaign, it really could be God A thru God K for all that matters mechanically.

You should probably spend a few days looking through the Q & A's and Dev Trackers to find out.  To my knowledge no one has said anything about that for the 12 faction, and I don't anticipate it happening anytime remotely soon.

Er, what's "edging"?

We don't have any real info on 12-faction yet.

However, we do have the example of the 3-faction band to work with, in which the victory goal for one faction is significantly different from that of the other two. So, it's not a huge leap to think that that model might be carried over.

I think it'd be very interesting to see a campaign where each faction has different goals and scoring mechanisms from each other, as opposed to a simple conquest game where your goal is to do the same thing as the other guy, but faster. That could lead to situations where two factions might find themselves both supporting the same activity for completely different reasons- only to find that their interests are diametrically opposed a few days later. It'd be a lot of work to balance out 12 different faction rules but could make for an amazingly complex and interesting strategy layer.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I am interested in Neutrality so my knee jerk is to go with Kronos but if the layout follows a kind of DnD-ish axis, with good at the top and evil at the bottom, I would go for as close to true neutral or chaotic good as I could get (depending on which gods i like more).  Maeve and Malakai's insignia really interests me. 

Critique follows:

Malekai

Male. "Lord of Spiders" according to Feature (Wyvern). All that comes to mind is "Malekai, Mordecai" some hebrew messengers, some hawaiian names, etc. Spiders are weavers? What will the chaos god weave in the fabric of war?

You forgot Malachi, the ancient jewish prophet. Not surprising because he is one of the lesser known. One of the interesting things about his book is that it is interpreted by Chrisitans as being set up as a series of grievances or debates set up between Israel and God (YHVH). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Malachi#Christianity)

Maeve

Maeve is a first name of Irish origin. In Irish Gaelic, the name "Medbh" or "Méadhbh" means "she who intoxicates." It is rooted in the Irish legend of Queen Maeve or Medb, one of the main protagonists of the early Irish legend Táin Bó Cúailnge.

No connection to Octopus.

It's a SQUID! 130108015754-exp-early-ellis-giant-squid

You forgot Malachi, the ancient jewish prophet. Not surprising because he is one of the lesser known. One of the interesting things about his book is that it is interpreted by Chrisitans as being set up as a series of grievances or debates set up between Israel and God (YHVH). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Malachi#Christianity)

Jewish Prophets, Hebrew Messengers; They are similar in my head -- I did see that connection but didn't think it was worth mentioning. I updated the octopus to squid :) Good catch there!