Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thenebrosity

Multiple Characters Per Campaign Per Account Should Be Allowed - Here's Why..

Many players here have played many different types of games and have different gaming experiences. In your typical game you have make multiple characters per account and switch between characters depending on what you feel like playing that day or depending on what your guild needs you on.

Let's use WoW for example, if you had a caster class on WoW and felt like playing a Warrior you just made a second character and selected the same server. Even if you didn't have gear/gold/resources to pass on to your warrior you were happy since you were playing a different class and you probably have friends on the server who can help you out (not to mention that you're already familiar with and like the community).

Currently, the rule is, that you can only have one character per account in any single campaign. This means that if you start a campaign playing with a caster class and your guild needs more warriors or you feel like trying out a new class that came out you will be forced to leave your friends/guild/community and create your new character on a different campaign.

Since most of your friends may not want to create new characters this will usually mean that you're literally starting over on the new campaign. If you looted a cool piece of gear on your caster character that would be perfect for your warrior or have extra resources to craft gear for your warrior that's too bad you can't have multiple characters in the same campaign. Your guild is really short on warriors but would rather help gear out character of people they know and trust not to leave as soon as they get gear? That's too bad.. can you guys see where I'm going here? 

If people are forced to start on a different campaign every time they wana try something new they shouldn't be forced to do it on a different campaign where they may not have any friends/resources. Most new players mess up their character or find a way to make their character better. Part of the appeal to Crowfall is that you can "mess up" your character and be forced to reroll/remake them if you discover u made a mistake when you initially created them.

Aside from the social issues, there are also few other negative effects the one character per campaign per account rule.

1 >> Retention problems. If people are forced to "start over" (read above) if they wana try a different character/class many people will become disenfranchised due to not being able to use gear/resourced obtained on their mains and due to not being able to play with friends that are only interested in playing in one campaign.

2 >> Forcing people to have one character per campaign per account will lead to larger Dregs-guilds migrating to lower tier (easy) campaigns and dominating people with their Dregs/rare-resource gear (this will happen anyway, but this rule will almost incentivize it).

3 >> People interested in playing a different class without having to leave the campaign they are currently in will be inclined to purchase multiple accounts in order not to leave their friends/guilds to play on a different campaign. Of course, many of these players will have otherwise never even considered buying a different account but will do so just to stay in the same community they are already established and comfortable playing with. *** In my opinion the one character per campaign per account rule will increase multi-boxing.. which can open the door to increased number of instances where we run into people using multiple accounts to exploit/keyclone/dupe/etc.

4 >> Carrying over from issue 3, people who cannot afford a second or third account so they can enjoy different aspects (classes, etc) of the game without leaving their preferred campaign community may become disenfranchised and feel like they are being "priced-out" of the opportunity to enjoy the game like those with multiple accounts.

This is not a thread about multi-boxing, it's about allowing people to use their 3-6 character slots on any campaign they would like to use. If the concern is people using their different characters to export more items you can just make it so the "eternal vault" is linked between all the characters you have in a campaign. People will find ways to export more items from any given campaign, there is literally no way to avoid it.. whether players buy multiple accounts specifically for this or people pay off guild members/relatives/friends to export for them.. there's no way to avoid it.

Aside from the obvious financial benefits via increased account sales, there really is no reason to impose a 1 character per campaign per account rule. In my opinion, imposing such a rule will only serve be detrimental to the project per the reasons stated above and really calls to question who really benefits from such a rule.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

the point is: in wow if you had an ally and an horde in the same server, it was ok, no major threats because of that.

In a game like Crowfall, if you have a char for each faction 3/12 you could "Spy" enemies locations and strategies and in my opinion that would be cheating.

But in the Dregs which is guilds vs guilds in my understanding, I don't see the problem. If you enter the ranks of an enemies guild, well, bad for them.

But I do agree that's a problem, wanting to try and see every or most archetypes, but if you do that, you can't continue to play with your friends.

I hope the Eternal Kingdoms can serve for us to try archetypes at will.

Edited by mazh

2whf87a.jpg

the point is: in wow if you had an ally and an horde in the same server, it was ok, no major threats because of that.

In a game like Crowfall, if you have a char for each faction 3/12 you could "Spy" enemies locations and strategies and in my opinion that would be cheating.

But in the Dregs which is guilds vs guilds in my understanding, I don't see the problem.

Mazh pretty much sums it up!

"Other game are usually realy boring but we can do many thing !
Please add those thing in crowfall, to make it boring as other game !"

Remember that in (wow|othergame), the server never end.
in crawfall if you are stuck with a bad team composition, it's only for a few month.

And what is bad composition in crowfall ?
Maybe ( i hope so ) we can have non-opti team but no unplayable one.

In crawfall, we have to make choice, train our skill for better reward. Like no other current game.

Are you really using world of warcraft as a comparison to anything that crowfall should be based on or take ideas from...

giphy.gif

I stopped reading after that, your mentality is completely wrong for suggesting ideas for this game tbh

2c

Edited by meed

We have discussed this already.. Disabling the possibility of using more chars on a single campaign is ideal.. the problem is that it's impossible to do so (but I would be glad to be proven wrong). Basically people just buys different accounts.. and this is a "p2w" mechanic. Now let the flame begin, please do tell me how stupid my concept of p2w is.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

"Other game are usually realy boring but we can do many thing !

Please add those thing in crowfall, to make it boring as other game !"

Remember that in (wow|othergame), the server never end.

in crawfall if you are stuck with a bad team composition, it's only for a few month.

And what is bad composition in crowfall ?

Maybe ( i hope so ) we can have non-opti team but no unplayable one.

In crawfall, we have to make choice, train our skill for better reward. Like no other current game.

No one likes losing for months. Why should clans be told no and that they can not switch things up during campaign to try to better themselves? 

No one likes losing for months. Why should clans be told no and that they can not switch things up during campaign to try to better themselves? 

Because if thats possible, and gear is not as much of a factor that it has been explained as, then all of the hard choices for your character are negated and a whole depth of gameplay in the game is gone.

The same people asking for this will be the same people crying that guilds are constantly rolling fotm or meta specs just to counter them.

ACE want emergent game play, they want you to strategize against your enemies to counter them, use the surroundings, use in game tools to better your opponent, they don't want you to just roll another class and instantly be better than the enemies that were previously beating you, there's no skill in that, and it would make for a terrible game.

Edited by meed

Because if thats possible, and gear is not as much of a factor that it has been explained as, then all of the hard choices for your character are negated and a whole depth of gameplay in the game is gone.

The same people asking for this will be the same people crying that guilds are constantly rolling fotm or meta specs just to counter them.

ACE want emergent game play, they want you to strategize against your enemies to counter them, use the surroundings, use in game tools to better your opponent, they don't want you to just roll another class and instantly be better than the enemies that were previously beating you, there's no skill in that, and it would make for a terrible game.

There is a lot of reason people could be asking for this.  Not everyone runs 50 man guilds or wants to sub to huge nations just to compete.

Having more toons on a map is not going to do anything for you when your losing that map... having 1 toon on that map and 1 on another will atleast allow you to switch if your not happy with the way things are going. I would prefer to you leave a map then have to hear your crying and whining in post.

You are wrong, you made a very similar but much worse written post a few days ago, when that got shot down you deleted the post and now you are here saying the same. I won´t even bother naming the reasons you are wrong again.

Edited by agelmar
Attack the idea, not the person....

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

Let's use WoW for example

2hwn0oz.jpg

Edited by Lastboy

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

There is a lot of reason people could be asking for this.  Not everyone runs 50 man guilds or wants to sub to huge nations just to compete.

And? what does the size of the group/guild have to do anything? my point still stands.

You have even reinforced my point, it would mean that small squads/merc squads would be able to just reroll new chars everytime they are hired or were defeated just to counter their opposition and would remove the need for small groups to be skilled individuals rather than fotm rerollers everytime they had some competition.

If you want to compete, you get better, you practice, you learn the game and your class, you don't just reroll

Having this "wow" style character creation would indirectly remove alot of the reason behind the hard choices for your character, because it wouldnt matter, and it needs to matter, im sure you can figure out why..

I think you all forget that you are pitching these ideas, of which have no basis, statistics or hard evidence/proof of validity, to extremely good game developers with years of experience, who know alot better than you.

Just because you think you have an amazing idea, doesn't mean you do.

:rolleyes:

And? what does the size of the group/guild have to do anything? my point still stands.

You have even reinforced my point, it would mean that small squads/merc squads would be able to just reroll new chars everytime they are hired or were defeated just to counter their opposition and would remove the need for small groups to be skilled individuals rather than fotm rerollers everytime they had some competition.

If you want to compete, you get better, you practice, you learn the game and your class, you don't just reroll

Having this "wow" style character creation would indirectly remove alot of the reason behind the hard choices for your character, because it wouldnt matter, and it needs to matter, im sure you can figure out why..

I think you all forget that you are pitching these ideas, of which have no basis, statistics or hard evidence/proof of validity, to extremely good game developers with years of experience, who know alot better than you.

Just because you think you have an amazing idea, doesn't mean you do.

:rolleyes:

I don't reroll, however I do fill spots of what is needed. It is as simple as that. Everyone has toons for solo, small scale and then large scale.  I think you also seem to forget that we played these games..

Are you really using world of warcraft as a comparison..

Sigh.. I knew people were going to get stuck on the whole mention of WoW.. WoW is a completely different type of game.. I was not referring to killing mobs, instances and all that sh###y care-bear cr##p. If you read the post you'll see that it was meant as an example for a game with different servers there is no "comparison" to WoW, it was simply mentioned as a game and it's social aspects, feel free to replace "WoW" with "insert game title here" if it's really that hard for you get the idea. Please try to use deduction when responding to posts.

As explained in the post, people who want to do this will already be doing this via buying a second+ account. The only difference is that the financial barrier to be able to do so will be immediately imposed on everyone who can only afford one copy of the game, this evens the playing ground. If people really see this as an issue though, multiple characters can be blocked for this category of campaign.. but then the only people that will have this "advantage" will be those with extra money for more copies of the game.

Furthermore, if you guys don't plan on contributing to this post with a meaningful response please move to anther thread.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Furthermore, if you guys don't plan on contributing to this post with a meaningful response please move to anther thread.

General "discussion", in a discussion not everyone has to agree.

If there was no arguements to the negative points it would just be threads of idiots reinforcing idiots.

Edited by meed