Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Farblue

New Backer

Hi folks. I came to Crowfall thru a suggestion from Chris Roberts at the Star Citizen game being developed. I thought a few notes from my first impression might (or might not) be useful

First - I found the combination of MMO and Strategic play very interesting. So much so that I did not delve too deeply (in the VA hospital ICU - recovering) into the game info. However I did purchase a Bronze Kickstarter today.

Second - I went over most of the basic stuff tonight. I was honestly a bit dismayed when I finally realized that the game 'seems' PVP free-for-all-centric. Then I read that 'permadeath' was being considered. I finally understand that there will be plenty of PVE so that made me feel better. However, I have found from numerous playing games in my 69 years (yes - I am an old dude) that most PVPers are fine but games can be ruined by that minority of PVP player whose only purpose is to hurt, destroy, disrupt or degrade other players. Permadeath can literally run me out of the game.

I would like to know what happens to my character in a Campaign who dies. End of the Campaign for that character? Respawn?

Third - I read about the Embargo POI. Placed in 'incredibly hostile' areas. Ripe for game 'camping'. Finally all the 'stuff' placed there would be subject to loss of some type, negating the time and effort to get it in the first place. I do realize that this might be subject to change and promise to consider it and (as a retired game designer) throw my two cents worth of ideas in the pot.

Fourth - This seems an incredibly complex game (enjoyed the crafting layout a lot). I hope my small contribution to the Kickstarter will help as I think this game has remarkable scope and possibilities. Chris Roberts and Star Citizen are doing fantastic and I hope Crowfall lives up to the same standard. I will try to be helpful.

Well it seems quite a bit of your concerns lie in specific campaign rulesets. Thats whats great about Crowfall theres tons of different campaigns each with different rule sets. So in theory if you don't like permadeath free for all, don't join that campaign. Hopefully when they drop more info on how choosing and playing in a campaign actually function (or are supposed to) alot of your concerns will be alleviated.

Welcome to Crowfall mate :D

As bguinen said there will be several different rulesets for you to choose from, im sure one will be to your liking :)

But, gameplay wise in general, there will always be people out to grief, or camp or steal.

Crowfall is trying to bring back those feelings of danger when you're out in the wild, that you may actually lose your items, or those resources you've been gathering.

And that can't happen if theres no actual risk, or reward for the camper.

Emergent gameplay will be ripe and although you probably will lose your items or resources a few times, it gives you opportunities to counteract that, not seen in many of today's modern mmo games -

Hire a mercenary group/guild for protection.

Join a guild for protection.

Hone your own skills so you don't get ganked.

Practice playing a bit more cautiously and gather resources without being seen.

Get so frustrated that you yourself turn into a camper.

i'm sure there are alot more possibilities that can come from this one scenario but you get what i'm saying, its a good thing that there's risk of losing your stuff, because it makes for better gameplay, unless you prefer the wow style where you can log on every day, do 10 pointless dailies and log off until tomorrow ;)

Welcome.

Crowfall is PVP centric with some minor PVE elements. There are different ruelsets as many have stated, but find one that fits your style ( I would recommend Gods reach to start since you don't seem sold on PVP)

You will respawn in any campaign you play. I think you may be confusing permadeath with item loss, but you are not one and done when playing...some of that conversation was theory bashing for fun. Don't sweat the jerks. They are in every game, and just show their forms in many different ways. I dare say I have seen bigger poorly made socks in the popular PVE titles on the market.

Good Luck.

Edited by Kell

I finally realized that the game 'seems' PVP free-for-all-centric.

That depends on what sort of campaigns you join. Campaigns are sorted into several broad categories ("bands") with similar rulesets. Campaigns in the "Dregs" band will be FFA GvG oriented. Campaigns in the "God's Reach" and "Infected" bands will have pre-made factions for an RvR sort of setting (3 factions and 12 factions, respectively). So while the gameplay overall is designed to be PVP-centric, the specific level of risk/chaos you'll have to deal with is under your control based on your choices of which campaigns to play in.

Then I read that 'permadeath' was being considered.

Permadeath may be an optional rule in some specialty campaigns, but it won't ever be the default setting and you can simply choose not to enter those specific campaigns. Or it may never be implemented at all- at this point, all discussion of a possible permadeath campaign is purely speculative.

I read about the Embargo POI. Placed in 'incredibly hostile' areas. Ripe for game 'camping'. Finally all the 'stuff' placed there would be subject to loss of some type, negating the time and effort to get it in the first place.

Again, export rules vary from band to band and campaign to campaign, so if this is important to you then you can just choose to play in campaigns with more generous export rules. With that said, though, fighting your way to a summoning circle is likely to be a battle in any campaign- just like a boss battle in a traditional MMO.

If you're not comfortable with the idea that other players are going to constitute the game's main challenge and barrier to success, Crowfall may not be the game for you. If you like the idea of PVP and are willing to see your success in the game determined by your ability to outthink and outplay the enemy factions, there's a lot of flexibility in campaign styles which will let you choose what form that competition will take.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Hi folks. I came to Crowfall thru a suggestion from Chris Roberts at the Star Citizen game being developed. I thought a few notes from my first impression might (or might not) be useful

First - I found the combination of MMO and Strategic play very interesting. So much so that I did not delve too deeply (in the VA hospital ICU - recovering) into the game info. However I did purchase a Bronze Kickstarter today.

Second - I went over most of the basic stuff tonight. I was honestly a bit dismayed when I finally realized that the game 'seems' PVP free-for-all-centric. Then I read that 'permadeath' was being considered. I finally understand that there will be plenty of PVE so that made me feel better. However, I have found from numerous playing games in my 69 years (yes - I am an old dude) that most PVPers are fine but games can be ruined by that minority of PVP player whose only purpose is to hurt, destroy, disrupt or degrade other players. Permadeath can literally run me out of the game.

I would like to know what happens to my character in a Campaign who dies. End of the Campaign for that character? Respawn?

Third - I read about the Embargo POI. Placed in 'incredibly hostile' areas. Ripe for game 'camping'. Finally all the 'stuff' placed there would be subject to loss of some type, negating the time and effort to get it in the first place. I do realize that this might be subject to change and promise to consider it and (as a retired game designer) throw my two cents worth of ideas in the pot.

Fourth - This seems an incredibly complex game (enjoyed the crafting layout a lot). I hope my small contribution to the Kickstarter will help as I think this game has remarkable scope and possibilities. Chris Roberts and Star Citizen are doing fantastic and I hope Crowfall lives up to the same standard. I will try to be helpful.

I think you're off base with a few of your assumptions here.

1) There is no permadeath.  Perhaps under certain campaign rule sets but even that is doubtful IMO.

2) Depending on how you define 'plenty' you may be disappointed in the amount of PVE content.  We obviously don't know for sure but all indications are that PVE exists only facilitate PVP.  

3) From what we've heard there will be numerous POI on the map (remember, each campaign is roughly the size of a continent by other MMO standards).  Choosing to simply camp an embargo will have negative consequences including loss of map control, loss of resources control, all the while losing out on victory conditions.  

4) CF will be not a pvp free for all.  It will be faction and alliance based.  

Edited by Abel

Permadeath was assumed that the character would be removed from the world after death, not deleted from the account.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Permadeath was assumed that the character would be removed from the world after death, not deleted from the account.

Nothing (to the best of my knowledge) we have heard about campaigns suggests that permadeath will exist in any capacity.  

Look at the campaigns as you would a very large swimming pool.  

You can choose to stay in the kiddy pool section, venture out into deeper waters or Jump off the high dive into shark infested fun.

Imo, CF will be a fun filled game with something for everyone.  Lots of choices as to how 'hardcore' you want to play.

Welcome!

A lot is still up in the air about this game.  Yes, it's PvP centric and yes, there are a number of folks like me that focus more on PVE than PvP that will be playing. 

My way of handling it is playing other games right now in PvP mode.  Tera is good as some of the combat is apparently similar to what is likely to be used in CF.  Wow that was a non specific sentence wasn't it?

I'm finding that PvP is 2 things.  One is experience and the other is idiocy.  I have to have my keyboard patterns down cold and understand what each skill does- I need to know how to avoid being rooted and how to root my opponent.  The only way I'm getting a handle on the skills is through repetition and fighting a lot of duels.  EDIT: It's worth noting that I still suck at PvP.  But at least I suck less!

As far as the idiocy goes - I have to hurl myself into each fight like it's my last chance to ever game EVER.  I have to be completely willing to give my all and then walk away from the fight and go look for another.  The only other area in my life that is remotely similar is art.  It's the same feeling of hurling yourself off a cliff and just committing fully to something even if you don't know the outcome and the stakes seem kinda high.

So yeah, PvP is a part of things and a big one.  But there's a lot of fun forecast for the game that revolves around exploring and building and crafting and knocking down stuff and tunneling.  Yeah! Tunneling! Whooot!

There will be player driven content galore and EK's with social and economic hubs and there will be massive political and strategic meta games going on.  There's more than enough room for a wide range of playstyles so don't get lost in the forumbane talk here on the boards.  You're in the right place and there are a lot of us here with ya.

Edited by oridi

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

For you first point, I hope you get better quickly and it's nice to hear we have another backer.  I would recommend reading up on the game some more, that's one of the main reasons I'm here today reading these posts as well! 

In response to your second point , PVE is considered to be a very small portion of the game.  PVP is the focus of the game and will be what draws the players in.  Permadeath would likely only be implemented on certain campaigns and as is one of the biggest things about Crowfall if you don't like rules in a certain campaign then pick a different one.

Death normally I'm guessing will be dependant on the campaign rules.  I'm guessing that some of those guild cities will allow you to respawn in them and there will be respawn points throught the map if not just a random respawn system within a designated area.

To your third point, this is part of the reason for the multiple rule sets.  On one hand you have rulesets which allow you to take back very little. However if you take the additional risk, according to the Kickstarter page the dregs will allow you to take back everything with you if you win.  Of course you lose the map and you get nothing.  Which is part of the risk vs. reward idea.  You take the additional risk and you could get a lot back or you could get nothing.   Embargo's being highly contested areas will help allow people to try various methods to get to them.  Are you going to be the stealthy PvPer who goes there alone trying to deposit a small amount of items into it sneaking past all of the embargo gankers.  Maybe summon your entire guild and take a large caravan through fighting the gankers off.

As for your fourth point, I hope so also.  I put a lot of money into this game because the concept honestly sounds amazing if it gets pulled off right.  Star Citizen which another game I put a bit of money when the crowdfunding launched seems to be doing quite well and while I don't follow it much I still can't wait till we get a playable version of the alpha/beta beyond what is currently being offered.

Thanks for the replies folks. I am following one suggestion and started reading up on the game, especially the list I got in a Crowfall email yesterday. The comments about the variety of conditions for Campaigns helped me a lot with some of my concerns.  Also the mention of joining a guild early on. Anyway, thanks for the replies and I am learning as I go.