Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Multi-Boxing (Software, Not Semantics)

headlight

So, there's ISboxer that you can use to multi-box. It's $40 a year which is a factor, but something else I also noticed is that if you want to 6 box, you have to dedicate a core of your processor to each instance. Why is that? I don't have the CPU or video card they recommend to run it, but I can 4 box Shadowbane just fine. Why would I need a quad core processor just to make ISboxer happy?

how does everyone else multi-box?

There is no code or hardware related reason, they just put a hard-limit. Its probably because if your processor isnt strong there will be delay on good games. They want to make sure your hardware wont be a issue.

I'd always called running multiple instances on one computer hotboxing, and multiple instances on multiple computers multiboxing...  Then someone taught me what hotboxing is for non-geeks...

I've always run one instance, one computer, so I can see what's happening on each screen.  I don't run keycloners or anything like that either, so I'm not entirely sure I actually qualify as a multiboxer, as such.

I would assume the restriction has its origins somewhere in the code?  Did coding it to one processor per instance make it easier for them?  I've not really played with multi core programming, so I've no idea on that front.

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

I'd always called running multiple instances on one computer hotboxing, and multiple instances on multiple computers multiboxing...  Then someone taught me what hotboxing is for non-geeks...

This made me giggle.  Thank you.

I've always run one instance, one computer, so I can see what's happening on each screen.  I don't run keycloners or anything like that either, so I'm not entirely sure I actually qualify as a multiboxer, as such.

I would assume the restriction has its origins somewhere in the code?  Did coding it to one processor per instance make it easier for them?  I've not really played with multi core programming, so I've no idea on that front.

Nah, they are coded as threads, thats how you split the parallel-work. And even single processor is capable of handling hundreds of threads. (pause one work, switch to another, pause another, switch to first work, so on). Even if they are in code not parallel to humans they are done so fast it looks as if it was done in parallel, and more cores actually do parallel calculation. But its completely pointless to force a core, because its %99.9999... likely that windows will handle the threads way better.

So they probably just put a restriction on the code.

I've run dungeons in MMOs with people I've suspected were multiboxing. Not a pleasant experience, especially when one of their characters was supposed to be tanking.